1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"New Mutants" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by RoryWilliams, May 13, 2015.

1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Which just leaves Warlock...

Glad they got someone with actual Native American blood to play Dani :).

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I was silently rooting for her, seeing how she has true Native roots, like myself. Good for her. They should be starting soon enough, as Warlock will be CGI, and can be kinda done even after filming depending on their take.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I really like the casting they've been doing for this.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

Sounds like Karma may be showing up.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Karma being in this would be awesome, especially since then we'll really have the classic New Mutants together :D.

6. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Again I find it weird they're still doing casting for a movie that is only TEN MONTHS away supposedly. I mean Black Panther is 8 months away but is so in post production it can show full teaser trailers. New Mutants shouldn't still be in such the pre production phase that they're still casting some of the main leads for a movie less then a year away. I guess if this is more a horror film maybe there aren't the big mega scale action scenes like in some X Men movies but still seems weird we still don't know when production is really going to start for this despite again having a release date so compartively close.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. the greenman

You have to remember previz is pretty much done. All that time they were teasing it was already in production. I really doubt much else is needed for what may be smaller scale X-Men film.

8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

10. Neo Ultra Mike

I know I keep harping on this but it's getting ridiculous how this is still in pre production when Deadpool which is going to supposedly premiere two months AFTER this movie is already actually in filming. Okay maybe just a day/minute but that's still 100X times more then the nothing we've gotten from this movie's production. I keep harping on this because remember how much pre production talk about Gambit and gathering this director and team and staff together and never getting an official date of when it was going into production and then it never going into production and the film not happening? Not saying that New Mutants won't happen but I'm getting some familiar deja vu concerns here. Obviously they have some more put bits put together but... IMHO until you build a pedigree like say the Marvel Cinematic Universe a movie only feels official when it's in production and that still does not feel the case for the New Mutants. So yeah... give us some actual talk of production please FOX. If only to shut me up and prove you really are fully going through with this movie instead of all this talk about it.

11. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Alice Braga joins the cast as Dr. Cecelia Reyes and continuing the whitewashing going on with the team.

12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

What happened to Rosario Dawson o_O?

13. the greenman

Uhhhh, both are latina. The original character is latina. Are you just ignorantly racist or just pretending to be?
    I was curious if she could and doing Netflix shows.

14. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Yet they defaulted to a light-skinned latina instead of the darker version that the character has always been in the comics. There is still an ongoing problem of skin color being used as a sign of class and status in Latin America.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. the greenman

I understand that, but it doesn't really matter in the bigger picture. She is latina. Not a Caucasian woman. I would say the Nina Simone biopic was terribly obvious of whitewashing, as Saldana looks NOTHING like Simone, yet she was a minority.

16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Sunspot's supposed to be Afro-Brazillian so they're definitely kind of in a bind there, but I do see the issue with casting a light skinned Latina actress for a character who's supposed to be a dark-skinnned Puerto Rican (particularly given Hollywoods issue with whitewashing and that the original actress seemed to match the character in the comics more)...

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. the greenman

Sorry, I don't see the race issue at all. Sure, Dawson may have been closer in line to the character, but it's a moot point now. The fact is she is tied into Marvel Netflix and working on another "Marvel" franchise will not workout. Especially the nature of the two characters (a nurse and a doctor) she'd be portraying.

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

#138 Yojimbo, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  19. Neo Ultra Mike

Okay well I can stop asking "when is this film actually starting to be made" then. Weird despite it being the second big super hero movie of next year, it's the last to officially go into production. I guess it being a more low budget "horror" movie style may explain why and hey so long as the cast is kept small and it really uses it's style differently to drum up buzz really looking forward to it again even if I'm not that big into New Mutants.

• Like Like x 1
  20. the greenman

Yeah, well I understand your concern, but you already said what we knew about it. So there was no reason to get all crazy about it being cancelled and all. It will probably wrap production Sept-Oct. I suspect the vfx was and is being worked on. The only thing is mo-cap which can be done quickly if GotG or Apes is any indication. Plenty of time still.

• Agree Agree x 1