1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

New Doujinshi

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Gohan, Mar 23, 2006.

1. ShinjiFanGirl

ShinjiFanGirl Member

Why does he always show the petticoats + panties?

2. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

What else is their to say?
    The guy made a cool concept, added a whole bunch of characters that we love in it. It's fun to read, and to look at.
    And the game's not bad either.

I just hope the next PPG Doujinshi chapter doesn't circle around Dexter, I think people have had enough of him for a while.

3. judyindisguise

judyindisguise Active Member

I just finished what Bleedman's done so far with Billy and Mandy, and I'm loving it too. Man it just rocks so hard. I'm in frickin heaven. Does this guy make money from this stuff? Because he should. And the creators of the shows he borrows from should at least thank the guy for essentially rejuvenating their characters. I mean I've never enjoyed Billy and Mandy as much as I do in Bleedman's version.

4. judyindisguise

Japanese tradition? :eek:

5. The Fullmetal

The Fullmetal Member

Dexter and Coops AIM conversation is great comedy. Coop spamming - I really wish CN would bring back that show or put it on DVD.

And am I the only one who thinks anime-Blossom is hot? Come on... :p

6. LordTerminal

LordTerminal The old-school DK is back!

I love how Zim was drawn. He went from freaking insane, to freaking devious and insane. Now let's see what Lard Narr of the Resisty (From episode Backseat Drivers from Beyond the Stars) would look like. (Because I like that guy.)

7. judyindisguise

I think anime-Grimm is hot. YOU come on! :D

8. KarlOlson

KarlOlson Art Imitates Life
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Actually, I've noticed that relatively speaking he's held back, in as much as there have been scenes he could have pushed that and he hasn't.

To Galentone fka Jack Spicer fka Blood Majin: Given that US artists and writers have published stuff in Japan at Comiket, anyone can make something called doujinshi and for all intents and purposes it can fit the name, regardless of the nationality and visual style. Shoot I've seen doujinshi from Japan in English with American animation-style art and even left right layout. As such any to say "this doesn't count as doujinshi" beyond "small run, independent project" vs. "a huge widely available project backed by a major company with a proper revenue stream attached" is genrefication for the sake of elitism IMHO.

Meanwhile, a lot of doujinshi made in Japan is insanely and intensely out of character, and features plenty of crossovers at that, so the "crap fan fiction" argument doesn't wash either - that's part of the draw actually at points for some folks. Even in a non-sexual context (which obviously has a draw for certain contingent,) seeing stories visualized that are intensionally against the original intent of the work or blatantly self-referential can be fun. I mean, I picked up a PPG doujin and a Teen Titans doujin at SakuraCon this weekend, and they are insanely OOC, but they are funny as well because they are OOC. Him as a bishonen is funny. Starfire and Raven in Anna Miller's outfits is funny. And it's funny because it's absurdist, culturally referential, subversive and maybe even a little satirical. On the crossover note, I've seen plenty of doujinshi with Jack from Pirates of the Caribbean with Jack from The Nightmare Before X-mas. It's funny stuff too. And even the needlessly constrained if not patently false tact of "doujinshi as Japanese content," it fits the bill because it's made by doujin circle in Japan for Japanese consumption.

Now, Bleedman is reinventing these characters towards drama rather than comedy, but it works because for a certain segment, there is an attraction to an inversion of the familiar even when it's for dramatic purposes, particularly if it's handled right. For a lot of people, Bleedman gets that balance of keeping the right elements, hyper-extending other elements and completely inverting and subverting others that the result works for a lot of people. It won't please everyone, and it may not even please a majority at points; however, that doesn't invalidate it in any capacity whatsoever.

So to try to say, "this isn't 'X', period" is a bit ego-centric at best unless you're an omniscient being IMHO. Yeah, I know I review stuff for this site and at times I've not had the most positive things to say about a DVD or a screener, but that's just it: it's "my opinion" and while it's posted as advice and even sometimes used for promotion by the companies when it's positive, it's by no means the be all and end all. Even in science things are revised, and the liberal arts vastly more personally dependent than mathematics or physics, so as I said, that makes statements beyond "well personally I didn't feel it," hard to stomach in their implied hubris at best, if not patently deceptive and logically fallacious, atleast in my personal opinion ;)

9. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It would be illegal if he did, what with copyright infringements and all.

10. The Fullmetal

The Fullmetal Member

They should make an anime of this. But they can't since there's copyright.

11. judyindisguise

I notice that there are ads on his site, though. I wonder if that gives him any compensation. Plus, although his work isn't strictly parody, "Mad Magazine" sells its stuff with copyrighted characters on its covers (satirically altered, of course) all the time, so I wonder if Bleedman could get away with selling his work. It just seems a shame that he isn't paid for work that IMO is 100% better than much of its source material. But I guess you're right, copyright law is copyright law...

12. havokpryde

havokpryde Member

Big difference

Parody is constitutionally protected by the fair use law, and this has been recently upheld. What Bleedman is doing isn't that, and thus isn't protected.

That aside, Bleedman's stories might not be on point, but his artwork is superb and clearly takes a lot of effort.

13. KarlOlson

Yeah, as an artist alone, it's impressive work. I'd love to see him at some point crack out an original series so it'd be something that could be published and later animated, and thus support him threw his art. Even if it did push some buttons (and given the few designs for his original concept "Sugar Bits," he'd have some people's feathers beyond ruffled,) it'd probably be quite cool and atleast very nice artistically speaking.

14. MattThomasM2B

MattThomasM2B The End Is Here.

As I believe I said on some other forum a time ago...

All that talent...gone to propping up Tartovsky(sp?)

15. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

The closest we'll ever get is Powerpuff Girls Z (and for all we know, there may or may not be references to other CN characters).

16. Mandi-chan

Mandi-chan Active Member

I love this doujinshi: It's well written as well as well drawn. (And I'm not even a fan of the PPG anymore...)

Matt ThomasM2B, what's your avy from? It reminds me of Evangelion....lol.

17. judyindisguise

Yes, I'll have to take back what I said earlier about the writing. Having eagerly read everything on his site that he's had a hand in, I can only say that Bleedman is a great plotter, and his dialogue is thrifty and sharp. I can't wait to see more from him.

18. MattThomasM2B

MattThomasM2B The End Is Here.

19. Majin Buu

Majin Buu Member

His art is very cool, but I wish he didn't just throw in every single character he sees on CN, no matter if they're good or bad. I mean, come on, Atomic Betty?

20. KarlOlson

If he can make it work, more power to him. Part of doujinshi's appeal at points is the ability to take even mediocre concepts and reinvent them into something greater than their source material in terms of entertainment value.