New CN Pilots 2014 [Currently 4]

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by IcyTea, May 16, 2014.

1. IcyTea

IcyTea New Member

2. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier DISGRACEULLY Beating People Up

3. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

Eh, neither short was terrible, but at the same time, neither short anything I'd go out of my way to watch, kind of like a lot of CN's current lineup, I have to say...

On a side-note, I'll be glad when CN graduates to some different art styles; I'm tired of every show looking like Adventure Time or Steven Universe. (Kind of like how back in the mid-1990's a lot of CN's shows looked like Dexter's Lab).

4. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

I can't watch these, they're blocked for me.

5. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Getting off from violence

Can you name one show that looks like Steven Universe or AT, hell looking back I'm getting a Regular Show vibe from these show so that doesn't help anything

6. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

:^: Eh, it could just be me, but lately a lot of CN's shows (AT, SU, Uncle Grandpa, Clarence and these 2 pilots) all seem to employ the same flat, brightly colored doodle-y visual style. I'm not saying these shows all look exactly the same, but there are similarities in the visuals. Lone Live the Royals was created Sean Szeles, one of Regular Show's writers, so that short sporting a Regular Show inspired look isn't all that surprising.

I'm not trying to make a Federal case out of it, just that a little variety in the art styles would be nice to see. I just get bored with the same autonomous visual style on so many shows. One reason why I'm digging Comedy Central's Triptank right now is because all the shorts and segments look different from one another.

7. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Well, both shorts creators, Toby Jones on AJ's Infinite Summer and Sean Szeles on Long Live the Royals were both boarders on Regular Show, so the design similarities would be present.

I do have to agree with the sentiments of others and say both shows would need work before a series pickup. I do hope we get to see some additional shorts this season. CN tends to spill them out around Comic-Con time, so we'll likely get some more in the coming weeks.

8. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Boisterous Bruja

Yeah, these two pilots remind me heavily of Regular Show (The first one in more terms of tone and setting. The second one more in terms of aesthetics). They start off mundane, but get more fantastical as it goes on. The only Adventure Time vibe I got from these pilots was the use of dot eyes in AJ's Infinite Summer.

I watched both of them and thought they were mediocre. Not particularly bad, but very good either. I liked Long Live the Royals a bit more, especially that "trying to outrun an arrow" scene.

9. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

Neither of these make me instantly say "OMG I WANT THIS TO BE A SHOW NOW"
    AJ's Infinite Summer was like Regular Show and just managed to be really wacky. But unlike RG the surreal nature just left me more confused than anything.
    Long Live the Royals was the nicer of the two. I like the characters in it more.

10. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

11. IcyTea

IcyTea New Member

Hopefully more pilots will be shown, I doubt it is just these two pilots.

12. ChildHood90s

ChildHood90s Loves his coffee

I really enjoyed the setting in Long Live the Royals. Especially the scene with the Wizard. The background art there was perfect for a wizard's lair. Happy with the colored outlines they went with, as the "Regular Show" art style benefits from it. The characters cracked me up at times, and I'm kinda digging the potential this short has. I'll be happy if I see Long Live the Royals in the future.

AJ's Infinite Summer had me interested in it's titular nerdy red head... but I didn't really get the point of his two pals. So he's the third wheel in their lives, but he's also dragging them along on all of their wacky adventures? As is, AJ's two pals just felt like they weren't important in this short. It'd be different if the plot revolved around the adventures of AJ's friends, and AJ simply acted as the monkey wrench that would make the couple's plans go awry... Or something that'd involve AJ's two buddies in a more meaningful way. /nitpicking

13. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Active Member

CN's website lists these as "Shorts" instead of pilots, so who's to say these aren't just one-off cartoons?

I liked both of them regardless. AJ's Infinite Summer was a bit like Regular Show Lite, but I really enjoyed Long Live The Royals, if only for the fact that it was able to differentiate itself stylistically from the most of CN's output nowadays. The use of colored outlines and textured backgrounds definitely helped. Almost gave it a Samurai Jack vibe. If any of the shorts were to be greenlit, I would definitely want it to be Royals.

(Bonus points for using Gillian Jacobs a.k.a Britta Perry from Community as one of the main characters. Though I very much enjoyed hearing Chris Parnell as A.J's dad. :D)

14. ChildHood90s

ChildHood90s Loves his coffee

Woah, we've got another Community veteran doing voice work for Cartoon Network toons? Talk about awesome! Kinda makes me excited if a "Long Live the Royals" show really does happen at some point.

But seriously though. AJ has some kind of "Willy Wonka" for a father. ;)

15. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

Don't they call all pilots shorts?

16. SaneMan

SaneMan Active Member

sadly, it won't play over here

17. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

The videos are only available in the USA, so no one in Slovakia or Portugal can't watch it at present.
    I've seen a picture of AJ's Infinite Summer and I really noticed the similarities with RS.

18. ZoddGuts

ZoddGuts New Member

They were alright nothing special, both would need a lot of tuning up. Personally the Lakewood Plaza Turbo short from last year had more potential, it was fun watching it, it also needed some tuning up (better designs/a bit less references). Heard it was picked up? Not sure though.

19. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Getting off from violence

Don't worry man Lakewood Plaza Turbo will get green lighted Ian Jones Quarterly works on Steven Universe

20. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Wow, both shorts were incredibily boring. I can't believe I hadn't turned it off after a few minutes...

I had the same feeling about the shorts from 2013, except for the pilot of Clarence, which was one of the best shorts I've ever seen :)

About the art styles: I think Clarence and The Amazing World of Gumball both have pretty special character designs, actually.