1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Netflix/Marvel should do a live-action/animated combo series of Howard The Duck

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Egon1982, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Egon1982

Egon1982 Member

Ever since that cameo Howard did at the end of Guardians of the Galaxy which impressed me and now that he is popular again with a fine new comic series even merchandise plus re-issues of the original comics in graphic novel trade paperbacks, it gave me an idea.

I think Marvel Studios/Netflix with James Gunn (a major Howard fan since the 70s) should do a live-action/animated combo series based on the legendary Marvel character. Although his movie was considered a legendary bomb in theaters yet became a cult fave, yes i do like it since i saw the movie in theaters at age 4 and is one of my guilty pleasures then later as a kid i read back issues of the comics from comic stores and became a fan of the character.

Yet this ideal show can redeem the character plus shorts of Rocket/Howard together with Cosmos would be something so people can know the real Howard from the comics better. This show can be a 4th wall breaking comedy-satire-adventure series faithful to both the old and new comics with James Gunn and Seth Green as writers and producers of the show.

I see Howard as a 2D animated character in a flesh-and-blood world with flesh-and-blood people in the show as it can be Cool World/Son of Zorn/Roger Rabbit meets Deadpool/Sunny in Philadelphia kind of thing. I can see Emma Stone be Beverly with Sacha Baron Cohen as Ringmaster.

2. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Bring it closer to the comics than that 80s movie and it could be good. Maybe bring back the guy who played Howard in the GotG cameo for the sake of consistency.

3. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

That would be Seth Green who is honestly ideal casting for a movie and honestly for a show as well as he's enough of a talent yet cult enough to fit either field. And honestly the idea of doing a Son of Zorn esque show with Howard the Duck as a Netflix series could work. Granted you would need to see Howard interact more with regular life but that could still be implemented well on a Netflix budget especially since it would be probably a more small scale type of series. Though Egon's pitch idea on who should be involved needs some tweaking.

Gunn is likely going to be busy strictly on the main Guardians of the Galaxy movies and has admitted to even after that just wanting to spin off films about other characters (like Nebula) then work on any TV show so he wouldn't really be involved, even if it involved Howard the Duck.

I could see Cosmo being in the show as well but you aren't going to get Rocket Raccoon who is pretty squarely connected to the main GotG universe. The thing is once you mainstay one of the TV series that is pretty much the form you stay in and there aren't really many movie/show crossovers. Especially on the Netflix side of things and this wouldn't be the show to bridge that gap.

Again James Gunn wouldn't be involved. You could get Seth Green as a writer though... maybe it's because I'm mostly familiar with his writing for Robot Chicken but I don't know if his style would be right for a character like Howard. Honestly I'd get some of the talent actually behind the book or at least ones who can replicate that tone for this project and just keep Green as Howard's VA.

Again you're pitching this for a Netflix show so you aren't going to get major A list celeb talent... well okay Baron Cohen at this point is more B-C list and honestly doesn't really have much going on acting wise now to really worry about. But yeah I don't see Emma Stone wanting to be involved in this. I mean she's not the same actress who was Gwen Stacey even a few years back considerng she probably has a best actress nod at least cinched for La La Land. I don't think you could convince her now to play a character most known for almost shaking up with Howard in the movie version.

4. Egon1982

Egon1982 Member

What about Lea's daughter Zoe?