1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Netflix and DreamWorks set to reboot Voltron; create Del Toro's Trollhunters

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Takao, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/dr...toro-trollhunters-voltron-netflix-1201672250/

2. Lord Hater

Lord Hater Retired

I thought Nicktoons had the rights to the previous show.

3. Mr. Daniel

Mr. Daniel Back (but just occasionally)

Trollhunters looks pretty cool.

4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I hope the reboot is better then Voltron Force...

5. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Well got to hand it to netflix and DreamWorks for doing being a good duo when it comes to expanding these shows.

6. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Maybe they'll make a show based off of Megamind, one of Dreamworks most underrated films. I'd also like one based off of Legends of the Guardians.
    From Kyle Carrozza, I heard they're making one based off of Home. The movie was kinda lame, but maybe a show would have better potential, like Turbo did.

And just think, this doesn't even include the deal they have with DHX for their Family channels. Dreamworks Animation is on a roll, I'm so happy for them.

7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm actually kinda shocked that more hasn't been done with Megamind after all this time. The ending with Megamind taking over as Metro City's hero is ripe for continuation and comedy, so a TV series based around that would be awesome :D.

I'd also be down for more Legends of the Guardians :).

8. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

I'd prefer if Dreamworks made some original content. Something that hasn't been made yet into a movie.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I actually wouldn't mind that as well. It would be better for them to focus on developing on original IPs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. BeanoMaster

BeanoMaster Active Member

DreamWorks made Dinotrux, which was on Netflix in August 2015.

11. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Dear lord, just look at this. News about Wondercon's Voltron: Legendary Defender panel shows that it's Avatar: TLA (+Legend of Korra) people driving the project.

http://www.toonzone.net/voltron-sho...ntos-lauren-montgomery-appear-wondercon-2016/

Joaquim Dos Santos Executive Producing with Lauren Montgomery as his fellow showrunner, plus writer Tim Hedrick. After the bitter disappointment of Voltron Force's imitation of a subpar 90s toon, this revelation offers a lot of hope that they'll get it right this time.

Also, for speculation's sake, recall that in 2014 Dos Santos went to South Korea with DreamWorks' Mark Taylor to plan a collaborative effort with Studio Mir. Could it be Voltron is what Mir is signed on for?

With any luck WonderCon will shed plenty of light on the show, which has just had a bare amount of teaser imagery before today AFAIK.

Really nice. Before my feeling was "well, I hope it's good." Now I've got expectations.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow, Joaquim Dos Santos and Lauren Montgomery :eek:?

At least that's a good indication that the action sequences and direction are going to be a sight to behold, especially compared to Voltron Force, even if both have more experience with Superheroes or martial arts (Avatar) then Mecha :cool:.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

That is true on their track record, though keep in mind that actually a lot of Voltron / Go-Lion takes place outside of the titular robot with the "Space Explorers" evading danger, firing laser guns, etc. In fact, most giant mecha shows go that way. Setup and / or adventure in the first half, robot time to close (see Big O, Sym-Bionic Titan). Voltron itself also does a lot of punching and kicking as well. I could see it being more physical and dynamic like Titan this time, not so much a lumbering hulk.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

Woah, they even got the best writer from TLoK. :proud:
    I've never been more excited for an upcoming Netflix cartoon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...0709313&PID=6159961&SID=im6oj11xcj00buy100dth

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

The designs all look great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Never A Good Bot

Voltron must be the most rebooted Super Robot ever. Ironic seeing as how his first show was a flop in Japan.:rolleyes2:

19. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Holy crap, it's the same character design as the Avatar series!

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow. Great article from Nerdist. Really dived into the series and the production side of things while giving just enough information and images to leave fans and readers excited for the new series. I know I am :D.

Montgomery and Dos Santos just said all the right things. Keeping things fun, updating the series while still honoring and doing justice to the original and why people loved it, keeping what works and adding what they think they need to, a more diverse cast, making the characters compelling and interesting, and balancing out the cast with the big, awesome, Mecha action :cool:.

Holy crud, that combining sequence...that looked amazing, especially with the combination of 2D and CG animation :eek:.

The CG also looks ten times better then Voltron Force :p.

I really like the character designs. Very anime-esque, fun, and crisp designs. The pilots all look great. I wish they had shown us Allura's design though :).

Voltron looks awesome. It took a while to get used to the lack of red in the chest area, but they did a great job designing a modern update of Voltron that looks really cool while being faithful to the original design ;).

And wow, that is a pretty star-studded cast:

Josh Keaton (Hal Jordan/Spider-Man) - Shiro

Steven Yeun (Glenn from the Walking Dead/Avatar Wan) - Keith

Jeremy Shada (Finn from Adventure Time) - Lance

Bex Taylor Krauss (Sin from Arrow) - Pidge

Tyler Labine (Dale Dobson from Dave vs. Evil) - Hunk

Kimberly Brooks (Oracle/Ashley Williams) - Allura

Rhys Darby (Flight of the Conchords) - Coran

I wonder who's going to end up voicing Zarkon?

I'm kinda getting the sense that, with Shiro basically being Sven and in the leader/mentor role, we'll eventually see something happen to him like his original series counterpart that forces Keith to take over leadership of the group, and Black Lion, leaving Lance and Allura to take over their respective Lions from the old show (Red and Blue).