NES Classic News and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Storm Eagle, Jul 16, 2016.

1. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

I think that this is a simple case of Nintendo seriously underestimating the nostalgia value that people have with the old NES system. After all, other systems similar to this one (i.e. the "Flashback" systems by AtGames) usually don't tend to be major sellers (save for possibly the Genesis system, and that's due to it being able to play Genesis cartridges).

• Like Like x 1
  2. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I'm going to pass then. I remember the hell it was trying to get an original Wii back when it came out, and since I don't even care about it that much it's not a big loss. Besides, I just spent a crazy amount of money on beanie baby nostalgia so I'm good. XD

• Like Like x 1
  3. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

At the very least, they should have been able to read the pre-release hype. Every news source did a story on it. Even people who weren't into video games were spreading the word about it, unlike those other replica machines you talked about.

I can understand them undersupplying Amiibo's, but there's no excuse here.

4. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

I actually ended up waiting outside of a Toys R Us on Friday to get myself one of these things, I just wished they stocked more than 2 extra controllers since they went to the first 2 people in front of me. Seriously you got 25 or so consoles, but you didn't have 25 spare controllers to give to the store? What logic is that?

5. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

So apparently there was another restock of NES Classic today, but I wouldn't know it because even checking two stores (Best Buy, Target) at 8 AM, they were already sold out. AGAIN. I guess the new method of shopping for a hot item is to forego sleep and camp out all night in front of the store, in below zero temperatures. Forgive me if I'm not enthralled with the idea.

Nintendo really dropped the ball with this limited supply, but what else is new? It's their MO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

Hatchimals and NES Classics, those are apparently the things to get this year. You better pre-order the Breath of the Wild amiibo as soon as they're listed if you want them, because you know Nintendo...

7. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

8. LDEJRuff

LDEJRuff Wish-making dog lover

Oh, no. As if discontinuing the Wii U wasn't bad enough, now they're doing away with the NES Classic Edition? I guess this means no SNES Classic Edition, either.

9. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

The other thing that is considered: The NES Classic was meant to be something that would tide the Nintendo fans over during the holiday season (with Wii U pretty much dead and the Switch not being ready for another few months), and its purpose completed, Nintendo is ready move on and shift its focus on their latest system. The only problem with the plan: Nintendo underestimating the demand of NES Classic (as they assumed it would be like the various Flashback systems and thought that it would only appear to fans of older system and those looking for a quick gift).

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

• Like Like x 1
  11. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

If they don't serious step up their supply, why bother? The only people who'd benefit would be the eBay resellers.

This is their mulligan; they know what the demand is like for these boxes, so they have no excuse this time.

12. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

You misunderstand the announcement. They are going to be selling it all throughout 2018 (at least) and no longer in limited supplies. This is exactly what we asked for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Yeah, on paper this is very good news. Here's hoping.

Honestly, at this point I don't know why they don't just release a collection for Switch. But I understand the draw of the mini console, and feel it myself.