1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Nelly's current album M.O., released this past Monday

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by SF4Ever, Oct 3, 2013.

1. SF4Ever

SF4Ever Active Member

Finally, after most of the year for it's release, Nelly's latest album, M.O. was finally released on Monday. The reason why this album interests me is because of all the collaborations Nelly has on there, including Florida Georgia Line, whom he teamed up with for their big hit, this summer, "Cruise". Yes, Florida Georgia Line, Nicki Minaj, Pharrell Williams, Future, 2 Chainz, Trey Songz, Wiz Khalifa, Daley and Fabolous are also involved, but one track in particular has captured my attention is his collaboration with Nelly Furtado, which has been long-awaited, considering both of them have been around for 13, almost 14 years. This is also their first recording, together in 12 years(All-Star Tribute's 9/11 dedication, "What's Going On?"). I know- so far, in late 2013, we've been griping and ranting about Miley Cyrus' very questionable stunt at the MTV VMAs, which included some twerking, but guess what- never mind her, this is about Nelly. First, a link to the reviews of his album, M.O.:

Review of Nelly's 'M.O.' - National Hip-Hop Music | Examiner.com

Post your thoughts about Nelly's collaboration with Nelly Furtado- here's that link:

Two Nellys Are Better Than One: Listen To The Duo’s Inspirational Collab “Headphones” | Music News, Reviews, and Gossip on Idolator.com

2. GPRailroad8794

GPRailroad8794 Active Member

Nelly's time has passed a decade ago.

3. SF4Ever

SF4Ever Active Member

Nah, I don't think so- times change. BTW, he had a big hit, this summer, teaming with Florida Georgia Line with "Cruise". Who would you rather listen to, nowadays, him or a certain woman, who's forsaken country in favor of twerking and royally embarrassing herself on national television with a rather sickening publicity stunt at the MTV VMAs? Think about it. Nelly manages to reinvent himself- I've actually been waiting over a decade for both him and Nelly Furtado to collaborate on a music recording. Both Nellys might be old school, but old school is still good, even nowadays.

4. GPRailroad8794

Change isn't always for the better.

That song sucks. The most annoying song of the summer behind the heavily overrated sensation known as "Blurred Lines". Besides, having a charting song nowadays is child's play; it's practically predetermined who charts and who doesn't.

Someone good which doesn't include either of these two. In short, neither.

There's reinventing yourself and there's selling out. Nelly did the latter.

About 95% of the music I listen to is from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and early 2000s. I am old school.

#4 GPRailroad8794, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2013
  5. SF4Ever

SF4Ever Active Member

You have to learn to adapt to change- ranting about today's music isn't going to change it, and I see nothing at all wrong with Nelly. BTW, I happen to like his collab with Florida Georgia Line, "Cruise". Nelly hasn't sold out at all. It's all right to be old school, but don't rip today's music, just because it's not to your liking. I happen to be a fan of Nelly, for the last 13, almost 14 years. I happen to listen to music from the 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's and today- and there's nothing at all wrong with it. I also happen to be a fan of Nelly Furtado, for as long as I've been a fan of Nelly, 13, almost 14 years, which explains how long she's been around. All this talk about Nelly selling out is baloney- he can work with anyone, and I do mean anyone. I like the fact that he's finally collaborating with Nelly Furtado- it's been 12 years in the making, considering their last recording together was Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" by the All-Star Tribute, co-produced by U2's Bono. Case and point, there's nothing wrong with today's music- it's a matter of adapting to change.

6. GPRailroad8794

Suit yourself...

I can adapt to change but I don't like most of today's [mainstream] music nor do I have to in order to prove that I can adapt. I'm an old soul but hearing more misses than hits doesn't help today's music, especially rap.

7. SF4Ever

SF4Ever Active Member

I don't care what anyone says- I like what I like and that's all there is to it. I really believe if there's a hit out of Nelly's M.O. album, it's going to be "Headphones", his much-talked about collaboration with Nelly Furtado. It's only going to be a matter of time, before Universal releases it as a single, if it hasn't already happened. Quite frankly, I'm sick and tired of people complaining about today's music- the point is if one doesn't like what he/she is listening to, then turn off the radio and they can keep their opinions about it to themselves, because some of us aren't interested in someone's rantings.

8. GPRailroad8794

Same goes for me. I don't have to like something new just for the sake of it being new.

Radio isn't the only way to hear music, you know. I have my radio off all the time and there's still as much of a chance to hear the same music from another place.

People can complain as much as they want about today's music just as much as people say how much they enjoy it. If you don't like opinions that oppose your own then I can't help you. And I still listen to and enjoy today's music but it's on a much smaller scale than that of past music.

Also, this started off about Nelly before you said I need to adapt to change after an unnecessary (and irrelevant) comparison between him and Miley Cyrus. In a way, they are similar in that they are both sellouts appealing to the LCD. Nelly hasn't been a blip on the rap radar for a decade, he was good for his time but that time has passed. Again, you can still like him and I'm not saying you can't (I shouldn't have to be saying this) but that's the bottom line.

9. SF4Ever

SF4Ever Active Member

[/QUOTE]Also, this started off about Nelly before you said I need to adapt to change after an unnecessary (and irrelevant) comparison between him and Miley Cyrus. In a way, they are similar in that they are both sellouts appealing to the LCD. Nelly hasn't been a blip on the rap radar for a decade, he was good for his time but that time has passed. Again, you can still like him and I'm not saying you can't (I shouldn't have to be saying this) but that's the bottom line.[/QUOTE]

Let me tell you something- I don't give a flying you-know-what about 10 years ago, I'm talking about right now, and your argument about Nelly bears no merit, and what I said about him, is relevant. At least he still does what he does and hasn't sold out to anyone. Nelly is still relevant, today as he was when he started, 13 years ago.

10. GPRailroad8794

Look at Nelly's place in the game 10-13 years ago compared to now where many people didn't even know he was on "Cruise" and/ or thought "Hey Porsche" was a Flo Rida song of all things. You still think he's just as relevant as he was in 2000?

EDIT:
    Now that I reread this whole thread, why are you getting so defensive?

#10 GPRailroad8794, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2013