1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Need input on a cartoon I am working on (Creative minds required)

Discussion in 'The Story Board' started by owenziligation, Nov 10, 2012.

1. owenziligation

owenziligation New Member

Hello, my name is Owen Maki. I am telling you my name because you might see it in the future in the writing credits for some TV show, and hopefully, further into the future, you will recognize my name as the creator of a cartoon that I am hoping will be a hit. I am in the Animation program at a technical college, where I am currently a sophomore. Although I am currently on the wait list for the program, I am probably getting in next year, since I am very low on the wait list as of now. So I have been panning out some ideas on what I want my animated show to be like. So far, some ideas have confirmed, while others I'm still debating on. Luckily, I've given myself a good amount of time to construct my full plan for my show-- about 10 years to be exact. I have been planning out the cartoon since the second semester of my senior year in High School, so about a year and a half now. So I have about 8 1/2 years left to work on it, which is a lot of time, but I'd like to develop my idea a little bit, because it has been more than year now and so far I only have some basic attributes of the show confirmed, along with ideas of what I want my characters to look like, and I also have some ideas of who I'd like to hire for the show, for writing, music, etc. Other than that, I'm kinda stuck. I want the cartoon to be a hit, so I am looking for other people's input on how it should be, which is why I am writing this. So here are the ideas that I have confirmed so far:

1. The main character will be an 8 or 9-year-old girl named Mira (originally Rika), who is very energetic and charismatic.

2. Three supporting characters I have so far are Mira's mother, best friend, and older brother.

3. The older brother will be 16 years old and introverted.

4. Some of Mira's misadventures will be inspired by my life when I was in 2nd and 3rd Grade, while some of the situations with the older brother will be inspired by my life in High School.

And that's pretty much all I have planned so far in terms of the show's context. In terms of humor and style, I want my show to give off kind of a vibe to make it feel like one of those animated shows from the late '90s-early '00s that would show on Toon Disney, such as Pepper Ann and Teacher's Pet. But I don't really know whether I should make the characters humans or animals. What do you guys think? If you think I should make my characters animals, what do you think is a fitting animal to go with the name "Mira"?

So with all this, again, what do you think? Is there something you think I need to add to my show to make it good? Is there any idea I put out that you would change a bit? Or do you think I've got something flowing already? Remember, I need your most creative/intellectual input on this. Don't troll me by changing every idea that I have to make it more like some kind of action show or romantic drama series, and then proceed to attack my ideas. I will report your response right away if you do because it is disruptive and I will take it personally.

So, get your ideas flowing and be creative, because I could use some help in developing this show. I also wrote about this in the TV.com forums. If you want some more details on how I want my show to be, or if you're interested in what got me into animation, read the longer version of my post in the "Shows in Development" forum over there. Here's the link: Need input on a cartoon I am working (Creative minds needed) [Longer version]...

Either way, wish me luck! :)

2. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

Since it sounds like you are asking for writing advice I'll move this to the Story Board.

Maybe if you post a sample script of the show people would have a better idea what you're going for and have more to give an opinion of.
    Also, if you are asking for advice be prepared to hear things that won't make you happy. Don't get testy with people that are only trying to help.

Best of luck!

3. owenziligation

owenziligation New Member

Aquadementia,

This is good advice, and I'm okay with people giving a response if they are simply trying to help, but what I meant when I said that I don't want people attacking my ideas was that I don't want them to make fun of the ideas that I have, and then tell me to change everything around to make it like some violent anime or something. I understand that all people have different tastes and I do have my viewers in mind, but I feel that I need to make sure I'm comfortable and happy with my show myself first. That's kind of why I wrote this whole thing. I want to hear what people like about some of the popular non-Anime cartoons on TV, such as Phineas & Ferb, to see if I can mix those elements in with the elements I want in my show. I'm open to anyone's ideas, just as long as they don't do much to affect my confirmed ideas and they're not so rude when telling me I should change something. In other words, I'm okay with someone suggesting to change something out of what I have, but I don't want them to make rude remarks about my ideas in the process. I have had experience with people doing this to me in the past.

Unfortunately, I don't really have a sample script worked out for this particular show yet, mostly because I haven't really decided on much of the show's aspects yet (including that I don't have very many characters, and whether or not the characters should be animals), and I really want at least a little more development on the show itself and its characters before I begin working on the things they would say. However, looking back, I believe I do have a script of an episode idea for some cartoon that I wrote a few years back, where the main character accidentally wets herself. The theme of the episode was that embarrassment is a normal part of life. I'll try to find it in my desktop files and if I do, I might post a sample of that script and see what people think.

Other than that, if you want some more information about any of my ideas, I'll give you a couple hints right now and hope they help. When I was in second and third grade, I was very energetic and creative. I would dance and sing to particular songs that I liked and I was very interested in movies. I would even write my own songs or movies. I was willing to talk with anybody in my grade about my interests or school, or things that were going on my life. This is part of what I had in mind for the characterization of "Mira". As for the older brother, he would be concerned about making friends, being popular, and finding a legit girlfriend, even though there are only a couple of people at his school that he normally talks to. This is how I was in High School, if you wanted some more background on that. Also, like I said, if you want to know more about what got me into animation and why I am making this cartoon, you can take the time to read the longer version of my post over on TV.com. The link is at the bottom of my first post and it's really long, but I think it describes a lot in terms of how I want my cartoon to be.

I appreciate the advice, though, and I'll get right back to you if you have any more questions or suggestions.

#3 owenziligation, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2012