1. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

NBC 1992

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by superdude, Jun 18, 2017.

1. superdude

superdude king of cool

It's been stated that NBC had some second thoughts about completely abandoning cartoons on Saturday in 1992. They considered of having cartoons instead of (Saturday Today I presume) until the Teen (TNBC block at 10).

NBC had that Battletoads pilot, did they have any other animated pilots up for consideration that year? What would've their lineup looked like if they had cartoons? I assume that Captain N/Super Mario Bros. would've returned and maybe a revamped Chipmunks? The new 1991 cartoons all seemed pretty much DOA and . I could maybe see Wish Kid returning because Culkin was still a relatively hot property in 1992.

What do you think the NBC 92 Sat AM lineup could've or maybe even should've looked like?

2. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Well-Known Member

There was also a proposed pilot for the X-Men back in 1989, having been launched on NBC, it could had gived a couple of additionnal years of cartoons on NBC and it would had probably stealed the show from Fox Kids and Garfield wouldn't had said that quote in 1992 when Garfield and Friends beginned season 5:

Edit: And that was maked some folks on NBC angry http://www.newsfromme.com/2008/01/02/todays-video-link-329-2/

I find it strange they didn't thought of an animated spin-off of Saved by the Bell. Perhaps they had once thought of this idea but some other factors came into play.

3. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Well-Known Member

NBC doesn't care for cartoons anymore

All they care about is Law & Order: SVU and Days of our Lives

(oh & milking J-LO with her shows "Shades of Blue" and "World of Dance" of course!)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

They cared before they split from Saturday morning cartoons.

5. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Well-Known Member

^ that's why i said they don't care anymore

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. superdude

superdude king of cool

The NBC "Pryde of the X-Men' pilot should've been picked up. The NBC pilot roster was much better, and the theme was pretty catchy as well.

Heck NBC also passed on a H-B produced New Teen TItans pilot back in '83.

For 89-90 I would've done...
    8:00 Smurfs
    9:00 Captain N
    9:30 Karate Kid
    10:00 X-Men
    10:30 Camp Candy
    11:00 Chipmunks
    11:30 Saved by the Bell
    12:00 ALF/ALF Tales Hour (including new ALF Tales eps)
    Counter G&F with an action block.

For 1983 I would've simple placed Teen Titans @ 11:30 after Mr. T, pushing back repeats of Spider-Man/Hulk Hour to 12pm, displacing the Thundarr repeats @ 12:30.

For a fantasy 1992-93 sked I would go..
    8:00 COWboys of Moo Mesa
    8:30 Battletoads (or Wish Kid)
    9:00 Pirates of Dark Water
    9:30 Double Dragon
    10:00 Saved By the Bell
    10:30 Name Your Adventure
    11:00 California Dreams
    11:30 Saved By the Bell
    12:00 Double Up
    12:30 NBA Inside Stuff

Instead of COWboys, ABC would probably have an additional season of Beetlejuice.

7. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 The Joy and the Laughter

Well the OP is referring to if they had cartoons in 1992, not today.

8. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

They probably did think of it, considering how much they did cartoons based on their live-action shows previously, but Saved by the Bell was already grabbing a sizable young audience on its own as a Saturday morning show. Producing that show was probably much cheaper than it would have been to produce a cartoon based on it, and probably earned them a more devoted audience in that tween demographic than a cartoon might have.

Years before I actually started watching SBTB as a tween, I have very fuzzy memories of seeing ads for the Who Shrunk Saturday Morning? special (it's ironic titling considering that's what eventually happens on NBC) and those ads had Little Rick thinking Saved By the Bell was a much different kind of show. I imagined it being about sci-fi and fantasy adventures with cool kids rather than about dating and and other high school shenanigans.

When I look at the shows that were on NBC's SatAM schedule for that season, I know most of them but I don't think any are shows I really got to see a lot of as a youngster. I'm much more familiar with the shows from Fox and ABC's blocks though and a few from CBS. I can kind of see why they eventually dropped animation since it looks like they had the weakest block at that time

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk