NBA Off-Season News and Discussion thread (roster moves, etc)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by hobbyfan, Jul 1, 2014.

1. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

At first I thought about putting this in my blog, but, then, that doesn't get half the attention that it should, so a more general forum, IMPO, makes sense.

If the moderators disagree, they can relocate this to a more appropriate space.

Anyway, by now, you know that after 1 season as an NBA head coach, Jason Kidd has demonstrated that he never matured, despite nearly 20 years in the league. He channeled his inner diva and decided he wanted 1) a front office job to go with being coach and/or 2) more money because newbies Steve Kerr (Golden State) & Derek Fisher (Knicks) were being paid more than he was. Jealousy will do that, and so does Kidd's reputation as a prima donna.

Part of the maturation process in any sport, when transitioning from player to coach/manager, is to cast aside the ego, and the entourage of enablers that often goes with it. It's a process that, in time, will turn Kidd into a vagabond all over again if he doesn't check his ego at the door and leave it there. Just because he took the Nets to the playoffs right off the bat doesn't mean he can work the same kind of magic in Milwaukee, which ditched a first-year player-turned-coach, Larry Drew, to make room for Kidd, and made Drew look like a mark for a con man in doing so. The Bucks gave up two future draft picks to get Kidd, but they also need to find something else. Like a leash.

Reading the articles in today's papers, I couldn't help but recall again that infamous Cartoon Network special from 2003, in which Kidd, then a player with the Nets, shared screen time with Wonder Twin Jayna, and supposedly was a fan of hers. Some might think he had something to do with the footage not being available on YouTube, but it's really CN and sister network TNT, through corporate parent WB, that has kept that under lock & key for 11 years, to avoid embarrassing the league. Then again, guys like Kidd make that a part of their job description.

Watch. Next year, Kidd will be looking for another patsy, but if he all of a sudden hears a female voice coming from a fly on the wall, he'd better be ready to grow up..........

2. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

You should of probably stuck with your first thought and written this on your blog instead of posting it here. Its kind of interesting that you thought a story like this would register with the people here on Toonzone. Nobody discusses the NBA, let alone would anybody care about such an obscure topic. Even your average NBA junkie would be hard pressed to care in the least bit about anything involving the Nets and Bucks of all franchises. Having said that I think your post is written in poor taste. You seemed only interested in bad mouthing Kidd and even though he deserves all the criticism that comes his way he's hardly an outlier. The only thing appalling I found about this whole debacle is Kidd's boldness in thinking he should be deserving of so much after one year. Anyways, there are a lot more plotlines to this story other then just the "Kidd is jerk" one and your post needed more of the former and less of the latter if it was to be taken seriously. Because really, what you wrote seems more like something that was culled from the ESPN troll (comments) section.

3. The Talon

The Talon New Member

I'm a Nets fan, so I guess I'll comment on this. As a rookie coach, Kidd led the team to a decent season (got us past the first round at least), but one year as a coach makes him think that all of the sudden he's GM material? He wants go all House of Cards and try to take over an entire front office? Fine, he go run off to Milwaukee with new pals Marc Lasry and Jabari Parker to do that.

Sigh. Hopefully Lionel Hollins can clean up this mess of a team in free agency and the off-season.

4. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

[MENTION=41117]Tohya[/MENTION]: It's funny you'd think I cribbed some of this off ESPN's comments page. I don't even frequent their website. I realize hoops rarely gets discussed here, but when folks talk up baseball, football, World Cup soccer, and wrestling, shouldn't basketball get some equal love?

@TheTalon: If you read the NY Daily News as I did, you'd see they charted Kidd's history of male diva antics. That's where I felt immaturity had to be a central theme with him. Good thing the Nets moved quickly to fill the void, but it also makes them look bad when they could've gotten Phil Jackson before the Knicks did and avoid all of this.

5. Tohya

I dont think you did...it just looks like you did because of all the vitriol in your post. Anyways if you wanna promote discussion and give basketball some love why not actually create a thread about the NBA rather then a thread about a coach jumping ship? My point is there isn't much discussion to be had over what you wrote because its just business as usual when it comes to situations like these in the NBA. Pat Riley did the same thing to the Knicks back in the 90s. Theres not much to decry here. Kidd has survived worse in his career and nobody will care once he starts winning in Milwaukee. And thats pretty much it. Either you make fun of Kidd till the cows come home or you talk about how the Bucks are equally to blame but theres not much more to say beyond that. Honestly they should just change this thread to a general NBA one.

6. The Talon

The Talon New Member

Even with Jabari Parker playing, that's quite the assumption. If Kidd does start winning with the Bucks, what makes you think he won't just reach for a bigger position in the front office and start this whole cycle over?

7. Tohya

The Bucks were the worst team in the league last year. I wouldn't call it an "assumption" to suggest that Jason Kidd will eventually string some wins in Milwaukee that will make everyone forget he pulled a Riley. And Im...uh...not thinking anything. Im almost positive he will reach for a bigger position but who cares. Milwaukee's front office is a complete mess, might as well give him a shot.

8. The Talon

The Talon New Member

Eh, Jason will get them some wins, but I just don't think Milwaukee's gonna be an actual contender for about 3, maybe 2 years from now.

Also, we probably should change this into an NBA General Discussion thread.

9. Tohya

And nobody is suggesting they will be. The positives in all this for Milwaukee is that Kidd has now made a non FA destination more attractive.

10. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

I'll take that and Talon's suggestion to convert this to a general NBA discussion thread into consideration and PM one of the mods to see if that can get done.

11. wonderfly

wonderfly 30 Years since Vampire Hunter D! Administrator

Updated the thread title.

12. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

Thanking you.

13. The Talon

The Talon New Member

Yahoo Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski is reporting that Carmelo Anthony will take a max deal and stay with the New York Knicks. A press conference featuring 'Melo and Phil Jackson will take place tomorrow.

14. wonderfly

So Carmelo's staying. If Lebron leaves Miami, it'll be a complete reversal of just a couple weeks ago (I thought Lebron was staying and Carmelo leaving)...

15. The Talon

The Talon New Member

16. wonderfly

Did NOT expect that...they were just talking on ESPN this morning about the grudge between the Cavaliers Owner and Lebron.

17. dmxx116

dmxx116 Active Member

18. PhenomsServant4

PhenomsServant4 Active Member

He can come back but it's to little, to late. He stabbed us in the back, burned four years of his career, and gave Miami two undeserved championship wins. I don't forgive and forget easily.

19. wonderfly

I'd say you're in the minority.

[video=youtube;i51kfzX-ydw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i51kfzX-ydw[/video]

20. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator Moderator

The complete turnaround from Cleveland fans is slightly embarrassing( really only for the shirt burners ) but really embarrassing for Dan Gilbert. I heard that he said that the infamous letter was taken down a long time ago. That's garbage, that thing was up until Tuesday or Wednesday I believe, sometime this week. I imagine his meeting went something like when Homer had to crawl through that dirty chute to get his job back at the power plant.

Anyway, I was surprised earlier in the week, by the time it was official I wasn't surprised since following the reporters and twitter kind of killed it. It was obvious once that picture of the moving vans at his Miami mansion made the rounds that he wasn't staying. More surprising was Bosh sticking around in Miami, thought for sure he'd go to Houston but that was a lot of money the Heat gave him.