1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

NBA "2007-08" Season, Playoffs and Finals Talkback

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by bigddan11, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

I couldn't help but :lol: when Ray Allen diqued Sasha Vujacic. That was the funniest thing I've seen in quite some time.

2. bigddan11

bigddan11 Justice must be served!

Simply put, I don't give the Celtics D credit because it was more of the Lakers deciding to rely on the outside shot in the second half that led to their own defeat. Had the Lakers actually kept attacking the hoop and drawing the fouls, then the Celtics would never have gotten back into this game, much less pull out the win. Sure, you could say the Celtics forced the Lakers to take the outside shot, but that wasn't what I saw. I saw the Lakers made the outside shot at the beginning, so they relied on it throughout instead of driving to the hoop and getting the win.

3. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

Well, again, what I saw was the same principle I've been talking about for a while: When the Lakers' shooters went cold it was easier for the Celts to clog the lane, making it tougher for the Lakers to get anything inside. But yeah, ultimately you're right -- the Lakers had to keep attacking the middle regardless, & just didn't do it. It was a Laker meltdown, no doubt about it.

4. RayChuang

RayChuang Active Member

Colin Cowherd on his ESPN Radio show may have hit (literally!) on the reason why the Celtics are wearing down the Lakers: the Lakers have too many European players used to the perimeter-style game encouraged by FIBA International rules.

That's why Pal Gasol, Sasha Vujacic, etc. now play poorly, because they can't adjust to the strong defensive style of play American players are used to. Not only are the Celtics' "Big Three" now very effective, but the Celtics' bench is just as effective, too. In short, if the Lakers had a healthy Andrew Bynum to play "in the paint," that would force the Celtics to counter Bynum, which will make it easier for other Lakers players to make shots.

5. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

I've been singin' that refrain since before the playoffs began, lamenting the fact that we won't get to see the "true" Lakers at all this year, because the absence of the young but rapidly emerging Bynum (and to a lesser extent, a 100% Ariza) really hampers what the Lakers are able to do and who they're able to be both offensively and defensively.

6. Ajax

Ajax Active Member

Its an interesting point but only having three players from Europe on your roster doesnt consistute as having "too many Europeans" espcially when your star isnt a European (unlike Dirk or Manu). The Lakers struggles reach beyond "style of play".

Gasol has been struggling since the conference finals. The Big Man apparently doesnt shine when the big lights are out. Gasol's probelm is he wants nothing to do with Garnett. Gasol looks lost on the high post like hes terrifyed to even take a dribble. This is more mental then anything the Celtics have done defensivly. In actuallity they should be credited with completely taking Odom and Gasol out of the series and leaving it in the hands of Kobe. And the C's proved one player cant beat them. Vujacic just went cold. Simple as that, and in reailty he's known more for his defensive skills then his offensive skills. Radmanovic on the other hand as been getting his lunch eaten by Paul Pierce. By thats more to do with nobody on the Lakers can guard him.

7. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

[cue "Stayin' Alive"]

Well ... still kickin'. That's the first and last priority for the rest of the Lakers' 2008 season.

I got home late, when halftime was almost over, so I only saw the second half of the game. Just a couple of quick thoughts.

First of all, we got a big reminder on Father's Day that this is, after all, just a game. Ray Allen, answering the far-higher calling and being a good dad, had to leave early apparently to address an unspecified health issue with one of his children. Prayers go out to their family, whatever the issue is.

The commentating crew, particularly Barry, were harping quite a bit on Kobe deferring to his teammates too much in the second half. Barry said, he's the MVP, he ought to have it in his hands, period. I understand his point in a way, but what he (and everyone on the TV crew) seem to be ignoring in all of that is that the Celtics are keying on Kobe as their first, second and third priorities, and daring the rest of the Lakers to beat them (not a bad stragegy IMO). In the second half of this game, Kobe moved the ball around more than he did in the second half of game 4; one of those games was a win for LA, the other a devastating loss. C'mon, commentators! Give Kobe some credit for recognizing that game reality. He doesn't want to be a decoy, but that's what Boston's doing (and doing very well), and his teammates will just have to be able to step up some if they're going to disrupt that strategy, help free up Kobe, and make it possible for LA to win. I would've thought that Van Gundy at least would have been savvy enough to bring that point out.

Kobe's teammates did step up enough in game 5. Most noteworthy perhaps is that, with the sudden size disparity created by Perkins' absence, Odom and Gasol each registered double-doubles. Credit Gasol, who generally speaking doesn't excel at going to the hole as strong as he ought to considering his talent, for actually wading in there some last night. ... And btw, back on the commentators, they (but NOT the Celtics themselves) blamed Perkins' absence quite a bit for Boston's loss -- and it's certainly something they should've been talking about, because it was pretty much a sea change in the dynamics in the middle. But the truth is, at the end of the day, it's sauce for the goose, folks: Yes, Boston is potentially without Perkins for the last few games of the Finals; but LA has been without Bynum -- their strong young best-defending big who alters everything that comes in the middle, and who would have unquestionably changed the dynamic inside in this series if he were available -- for the entire second half of the season. Nobody likes it, but injuries are part of the game, and yes, they can change everything. (Longtime Lakers fans learned this most painfully perhaps in '89, when LA was going for their 6th title of the decade and third in a row, but had suffered the loss of both starting guards, Magic and Byron Scott, to injury by the end of game 1 of the Finals, and never had a chance after that.)

SO -- plus side: For the first time in the series, the Lakers actually won the hustle game over Boston. They finally won a 3rd quarter (which has been one of the rings of Hell for LA until game 5), and they were the ones who were poised enough to come up with the big plays when it counted most. The defining plays for both teams were a study in contrast: Garnett missing 3 late free throws, and Kobe's steal from Pierce to put the Lakers up by 4.

On the other hand ... Like the only other Laker win in the series, this was NOT a pretty game in a lot of ways, for both teams. The Laker defense that I saw in the second half was frequently some of the worst I've seen all year from them. It just seemed like every shot for Boston was a good look, while LA hoisted up tough shots only after a Herculean effort; and the Laker D frankly sometimes looked just plain lazy. Pierce alone was on for Boston, yet the Lakers barely managed to eke out a win. The commentators vehemently pointed out all of the stuff the Lakers would HAVE to get a lot better at in a hurry if they were gonna have any chance in Beantown -- and they were exactly right.

But in LA's situation, the bottom line is that no matter how much everything is going to pot, you've just got to find some way to scratch out a win, survive to the next game, give yourself a chance to turn things around. In the final analysis, the key fact out of this game is ...

[cue Pearl Jam's "Alive"]

... still alive.

8. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

And, as far as LA's concerned, that's what worries me. So glad to see them win, but its hard for me to come away with much confidence. I've been wanting to see production from Odom and Gasol go up, and as far as scoring, that happened. But it was still yet another close call as the Cs, again, made runs to put themselves in a position to win at the end.

I expect Boston to come out stronger for the next one after, what I'm sure in their minds, was a blown opportunity in game 5. What can the Lakers do to overcome that? They haven't done anything yet to make Boston feel like they're not the better team.

DA

9. Ajax

Ajax Active Member

If the Lakers are gonna pull out this series, they need to play better then they did in Game 5, and they won that game. The reasons Gasol and Odom had there ways was because Perkins was hurt. It was just Garnett manning the paint (which is sad cuz i would of never thought i could wake up in a world were Kedrick Perkins was as important in the finals as Garnett).

What scares the hell out of me is that usually a team up 3-1 on the road gets there ass handed to them for 2 reasons. A). The home team is desperate and therefore more focus then the road team, and B). the Road team usually comes out causal because they know they can close out at home.
    But no...there were Celtics, still hanging around in the fourth quarter with Sam Casell's dead corpse leading the way. See the lakers should of blown out the Celtics, i mean from the moment they threw that ball in the air the Celtics should never stood a chance. But no...there are the lakers letting E.T. go off for 7 striaght points and letting paul pierce get to the rim like he has an invitation to get there. The only chance the Lakers have is to have Kobe play at a God like level.

10. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

Yeah, the game 5 win was ugly. As I said in my post above, it only had one virtue: It allowed LA to survive to try to right some things enough to be able to win in Boston. If it hadn't had that virtue, no others would've mattered anyway. There's a lot to try to address tonight that they did so poorly in game 5, and they're now in very hostile territory, and the odds may be long -- but it sure beats having lost game 5.

11. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

Tuesday, June 17, 2008
    [​IMG]

the oklahoman raider takes the stand
    courtsy of the seattlepi

12. Shakes

Shakes Member

Celtic fans chant: Bye Bye Kobe... Bye Bye Kobe

13. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

First Red Soxs and now Celtics. People in Boston must be proud. Especially since its been a while.

14. Good Ol' Batmanuel!

Good Ol' Batmanuel! Dressing for success?

Man, KG was funny in the post game interview. :D I probably would be too being so ecstatic, having to answer a bunch of "duh" questions.

And David Stern just got a nice round of boos.

15. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Congratulations to the Boston Celtics, your 2007-2008 NBA Champions. The Lakers avoid the 41-point loss set by the Jazz against the Bulls in 1998, but not by very much.

LA Lakers- 92
    Boston Celtics- 131

There are a bunch of statistics I'm sure the Lakers didn't want to have set by Boston, including steals (17 IIRC) and 3-pointers made by Ray Allen (7). You have to wonder which is worse for a Lakers team, losing like this in a mega-blowout or losing in a very close game?

16. Shakes

Shakes Member

Paul Pierce named Finals MVP

17. krazymed

krazymed Active Member

Wow, that was a message to the Lakers. "Don't even think about coming back until you bring some D."

Knowing the Lakers, one of two things will happen. Either the team gets blown up, or they are going 16-0 in the playoffs next year.

18. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

Congrats to the Celtics: the best defense anywhere, all the heart in the world --- this was a THOROUGHLY earned and well-deserved championship. Boston's victory was truly complete -- not just the players, but Doc utterly out-coached Phil for my money. Especially tonight, Boston just anticipated every pass, everything the Lakers tried offensively. And for the first time in this series, the team with the big lead didn't go to sleep and give it up: Boston got the Lakers down, and then just kept stepping on their collective throat -- heart of a champion indeed. MAN, did they want it tonight. In contrast, the Lakers looked like they were satisfied just to have gotten the celebration off their home floor at Staples.

But as a Lakers fan, I do feel pretty great about the future. I've been saying since before the playoffs that, if the Lakers did win it all this year, it would be about a year ahead of schedule, because the Lakers haven't had their true "big 3" core together on the court all season. It'll be fun to see what they can all do together next season.

One final thought as I watch the celebrations while I'm typing: I may not like Boston at all, but how can you not feel good for guys like KG and especially Doc Rivers. There's just not a better guy anywhere in the league than Doc.

Congrats, Celts fans --- enjoy your team's WELL-earned championship.

19. email2003

email2003 *Classically Trained*

Finally, KG gets his ring. Now that's a player who deserves it after all those lost years in Minnesota.

Congrats Celtics.

Does it feel like the 80's again after this Celtics championship win!?:D :sweat:

20. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

LOL -- yeah, it was a blast from the past this year. But I wish it was the 80's --- it would've been more likely to be a Lakers championship back then:

Celtics: 3 titles in the 80's, 1 of them coming over the Lakers, in '84
    Lakers: 5 titles in the 80's, 2 of them coming over the Celts, in '85 and '87