1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

NBA "2007-08" Season, Playoffs and Finals Talkback

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by bigddan11, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

Stern got the series he wanted, now he wants it over before next Monday's trial: the City of Seattle vs. the Professional Basketball Club. Celts in 5. The Commish would rather not have the sordid details of these proceedings marring his handcrafted showcase. His plan is to end the Finals before the trial then let heat blow over until the Draft (26th). To quote Doctor Octavius: "Your meager thought process is so transparent!"

2. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

I tend to lean more toward what CBG was saying. There'd be more money in a 7-game series, so if anything, I'd think Stern would want this series to go the distance.

I'm not sure how much the Seattle situation is playing into this series or, as I think CBG was saying previously, whether most fans really care or are thinking about it at all.

3. bigddan11

bigddan11 Justice must be served!

Next Monday's trial has nothing to do with the Finals and occurs on a day there is no Finals game scheduled. If it was to be wrapped up in 5, then you'd have the celebations covering up the trial. The Seattle trial is the least thing on the ind of the commish, which is why it basically is receiving no coverage except in the Pacific Northwest.

4. Ajax

Ajax Active Member

I couldnt help but LOL at this statement...things are far from over my friend. Bony T will agree with this, if this is the lakers up 2-0, i know and he knows that things are far from over. The series doesnt start until the other team loses at home. Besides, the Lakers have the next three games at home..lets see what they can do before we go on saying this series is over. We have seen the Celtics best, but have yet to see the Lakers. I'd say reserve your comment tell after game 3.

5. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

Trust me, the 6-day trial in Seattle will be a national news story (not to the level of O.J. mind you) as it is the first such dispute to reach the trial stage. The question is will ESPN & ABC be mothballed from mentioning these proceedings during their respective broadcasts? I should hope not. For those w/ their heads in the sand, you have no idea what juicy details will aired for all to hear and read. This trial will be far more entertaining than these Finals. And don't forget the suit filed by Howard Schultz to rescind the original deal.

coaching news: Terry Porter returns to the bench, this time w/ the Suns. The Bulls also hire an ex-pro as Vinny del Negro was named Head Coach. I am so old because I remember when Porter was on those Blazer teams that lost to DET & CHI. Del Negro is an interesting hire.

6. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

It's a 6-day trial. If the series extends beyond five then Games 6 and 7 would ovelap w/ the trial. Even if ABC & ESPN try to mouthball the court's findings, other media outlets will run w/ the story. Cities and team ownerships have clashed in the past, even threatened such suits but this is the 1st of its kind (at least in the NBA) to reach the trial stage. Other markets, especially those w/ similar venue disputes will be paying close attention to what's occurring in the NW as it will set precedence for future conflicts of the like. The following should be paying close attention to this trial: Memphis, Milwaukee, Charlotte, New Orleans, Sacramento, Minnesota, KC, OKC, & Vegas.

7. Draft

Draft Active Member

Have the Celtics lost to Lebron yet?

Oh, wait, they beat him and the Pistons, and are now somehow managing to beat Kobe

I pass on watching another minute (sans accidental highlights on Around the Horn) until the Lakers sweep the Celtics at Staples Center

8. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

And once again, what can you say about this game, guys? The MVP IS the MVP. Just so good when the game's on the line. And one (and only one) of his youngs had his back tonight, in a big way.

Lakers who had good offensive games tonight: Kobe and, for most of the game, Sasha. That's the list. And only one of 'em is a starter.

Of course, both teams struggled mightily on offense (much of which in both cases is attributable to the opposing D); but offensive struggles are much more dire for LA than Boston, because the Lakers can't out-D the Celts -- they've GOT to outscore them. The analysis, then, is this: Only two Lakers (and only one starter) have any kind of offensive game at all, the Lakers miss half of their free throws -- so how the heck do they pull out a win? The silver lining is twofold: 1) The Lakers shooters still haven't been anywhere near par, and I'm talking about on their good looks -- if just a couple of them can get anywhere near their normal level, there's the potential for the Lakers' offense to break some things open; and 2) even when nothing's working right for them, championship teams just find ways to win critical games, by hook or crook -- just like the Lakers did tonight.

9. Ajax

Ajax Active Member

The officating in these games is proally the wrost ive ever seen in a long time. Lol at the fact that Garnett kept getting away with setting illegal screens until the refs had no choice but to call him for one at the end there cause it was so baltant (and right in front of the refs). Lol at the fact that P.J Brown is able to hack away (i mean hes 38, theres no way he can play clean D on anyone). And definitely lamo at the Tech they gave Kobe when it was so obvious Posey had fouled him. I dont blame the Cs, I just blame the refs cause there doing a horrible job. It makes this series painful to watch because its not the better team thats winning, its the team whos getting the favorable calls.

10. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

Did you notice Kobe making that same point (in words carefully chosen not to incur league wrath) when he was interviewed at halftime? Asked about why the Lakers were suddenly getting foul calls in game 3, Kobe replied, "Honestly, I really don't know. We're just playing like we were playing before."

When Kobe got the T (I think that's when it was anyway), he appeared to be telling the official to just take a look at KG on those moving screens. It was after that that they finally called the Big Ticket for one of them.

11. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

How about Kobe dropping the S-bomb!:D The fault lies w/ the network feed for not being on a time delay. That was the most entertaining bit of the evening.

BTW, glad to see the referee scandal getting some coverage during the Finals. This bodes well for the news that will come out from the NW during next week's legal proceedings.

ps: who's the gentlemen sitting next to Jack?

12. Ajax

Ajax Active Member

Yeah what did I tell u about trusting Lamar? Lol told u Bony T, that fool has just been completely pyshced out. I fulyl expect Kobe to literally kill him even if they do end up winning. And the much prasied Gasol trade aint helping them right now. At this point even a blind man could see the huge disappointment on Kobe's face right now. Hes the only one that showed up...proally why he going into "me mode" for the rest of the series. TBH idk how the lakers can win, it doesnt matter if No.24 is scoring 46 a night, hes not doing it by himself against the Cs. Its just a good thing Garnett is to chicken **** to realize that he can take Gasol/Turiaf/Odom one on one on any play.

13. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

That's the big reason I was so disappointed that Bynum wouldn't be available to LA this year: Gasol's not a "muscle" player at all, and I assumed he would have problems with Garnett, both defending him (although Gasol is long, and that troubles KG a bit) and especially scoring against him -- and I assumed that in turn would put more scoring onus on Odom, who as you pointed out doesn't thrive when he's got to be #2 guy. (I was hoping against hope that my fears wouldn't actually materialize; but thus far in the series, they have unfolded in just that way.) Bynum's pretty strong and has shown himself to be a solid defender of bigs, and he would take some of that pressure off of both of the other guys. Not saying he would own KG or anything, but he would do a lot better than Gasol; and between the three of them, I think it would work out a WHOLE lot better against the Boston bigs. For the Gasol trade to really thrive and reach its best potential, it's GOT to be Kobe, Bynum and Gasol all healthy and together -- at least against teams like Boston. Some of Bynum's strengths offset Gasol's weaknesses, and his presence allows Odom to thrive as the 3rd or even 4th guy for the team (and Lamar has shown that he does in fact thrive in that situation). Otherwise, Gasol can have lots of trouble against bigs like Duncan and Garnett.

AND -- btw, CBG, this is ALSO the biggest part of why I mentioned during the ECF that I was kind of rooting for Detroit over Boston :p . I know you thought Boston would be a better matchup for LA than Detroit would, because of Boston's lack of experience; but it was the lack of Bynum to shore up Gasol and Odom against Boston's bigs that was worrying me. (The lack of one of LA's best defenders, Ariza, also --- Ariza's back to playing, but after so long out obviously isn't his old self, and won't be this year.)

But I still say that the Lakers' shooters just plain aren't hitting their shots --- and I'm talking about the good looks, because although Boston's D has unquestionably been great, LA has still often run their offense well enough to get guys looks that they normally knock down. Sasha showed that in game 3, even though he was the only guys not named Kobe who found his stroke at all. He showed a taste of what could happen if a few Laker shooters can find their touch. And if some of the other guys do start hitting (Fish, VladRad, etc.), then it could change things quite a bit. I'm not ready to give up on LA in this series yet by any means -- but then of course I never am in any series, until they actually suffer their 4th loss.

14. bigddan11

Pierce and Allen struggled in Game 3 while Kobe exploded, but things still aren't looking good for the Lakers after Game 3. The good news is they are still undefeated at home, and the next two games are at home. If either Odom or Gasol can become more productive, then the Lakers should win the series. If not, then the champs will probably end up being out of the Eastern Conference once more.

[​IMG] 81
    [​IMG] 87
    Celtics lead the series 2-1

Because I called in sick yesterday, then I'll actually get to see tonights game.

15. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

You're exactly right about Odom and Gasol. The Celtics are so good defensively, and particularly at clogging the lane. The release valve for that is good perimeter shooting. That's why I've been harping so much in my recent posts on several of the Lakers' shooters finding their stroke again. If at least a couple out of the group of Fish, Rad, Sasha, Farmar, etc. are hitting, then Boston's obliged to spread out to cover them, and the inside's a little more penetrable for the Laker bigs. But if none of the LA shooters are hitting, then the Celts can just pack it in, and that makes it virtually impossible for Gasol or Odom to get anything going.

16. Ajax

Ajax Active Member

Yeah I just never expected for Odom to just roll over and die like he has. What was it, in game 2 or 3 when Phil looked so disgusted with Odom it wasnt even funny. Your right about Gasol. He needs someone with a nasty streak along side him. Because Gasol looks like he wants nothing to do with Garnett or Perkins, it reminds me of last year when Dirk was getting owned by Stephen Jackson. What was Odoms and Gasol's stat line after 3 quarters? What 2 points combined. Thats not struggling offensively. thats just patheic.

Yo Bony its been more of Phils fault actually and not really so much the match ups. Anyone who's watched Sam Cassel play for Boston knows the man from Mars is terrified of dribbling. Boston has some of the weakest ball handlers in Rondo and Cassel while LA has some of the best sideline to sideline defenders in Farmer and Vujacic yet it was only until game 3 that Phil actually started pressuring Bostons ball handlers. The Zen Master has just looked so woefully underperpared for this series. Like I said, im exteremly disappointed with the Lakers....

17. bigddan11

The Lakers looked like the Lakers in the first half, but halfway through the third quarter they basically imploded and let their shooting drop down so much that Boston came back and got the win.

[​IMG] 97
    [​IMG] 91
    Celtics lead the series 3-1

18. Katsumara

Katsumara Ohi.

So I don't generally post in these topics TOO much, but my god. After the first half, I was like.. "This is over. See you at Game 5 tied 2-2. THE NBA WANTS THE SERIES TO GO 7 GAMES!"

Well okay. The Celtics got within 10, so I thought maybe that was as close as it'd get and Kobe would shut them down. Man, I was wrong. The way the Celtics made that charge with Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett... Posey, House -- good lord. They stepped up HUGE. Down as much as 24 and to win this way. Great job by the C's.

19. krazymed

krazymed Active Member

The Lakers only scored 32 points in the second half. That's great Celtics defense. Game 5 is just a formality now.

20. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

Wow, how can you (not you, bigddan -- speaking generally here) not give props to the Celts for their poise and incredible D in that comeback? And yeah, you're right, bigddan -- as much as the Lakers were the Lakers in the first half, they just disappeared in the second half. The first half, though, does illustrate what I was saying: Lakers' shooters find their stroke, that keeps Boston from packing the lane & makes it easier for Lamar and Gasol to get going, hence runaway Laker offense. But the shooters just vanished again at the end of the 3rd quarter. I'm still not shoveling dirt on the Lakers yet though. You can, krazymed, but it's just not in me to do that. Heh, I guess at least now they have the advantage of knowing exactly which games they absolutely must win -- which is all of 'em. ;)