1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

NBA "2007-08" Season, Playoffs and Finals Talkback

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by bigddan11, Oct 30, 2007.

1. bigddan11

bigddan11 Justice must be served!

[​IMG][​IMG]

It all begins again tonight. Coming off of a successful season in which they became the World Champions, the San Antonio Spurs look to post their new title banner in front of all their fans against the young, strong, and constantly improving Portland Trailblazers. Will the Spurs begin another run to repeat, especially now that they've extended Tim Duncan's contract an additional two years? Also going on is the Kobe sweepstakes. The Lakers have said they are willing to takl trades for Kobe, and the superstar says he wants out, but as opening day comes around he's still with his old squad. Discuss all the twists and turns of the 2007-08 NBA season here at Toon Zone.
    Tonight's schedule:
    Portland at San Antonio- 8 PM- TNT and ESPN Radio
    Utah at Golden State- 10:30 PM
    Houston at LA Lakers- 10:30 PM- TNT​

2. bigddan11

It was an intense night of NBA Basketball. Tim Duncan showed off his skills, Kobe scored 40 while getting booed and saw his team lose again, and Utah owned Golden State.

[​IMG] (0-1) Portland Trailblazers 97
    [​IMG] (1-0) San Antonio Spurs 106

[​IMG] (1-0) Utah Jazz 117
    [​IMG] (0-1) Golden State Warriors 96

[​IMG] (1-0) Houston Rockets 95
    [​IMG] (0-1) Los Angeles Lakers 93

The action doesn't let up on the second night of the NBA Regular Season either. The team with last years best record is in action, and ESPN is ready to provide a tortureous night of basketball fun.

Tonight's Games:
    Philadelphia at Toronto- 7 PM (Comcast Philadelphia)
    Washington at Indiana- 7 PM (FSN Indiana, Comcast DC)
    Milwaukee at Orlando- 7 PM (FSN Florida)
    Chicago at New Jersey- 7:30 PM (Yes, Comcast Chicago)
    Sacramento at New Orleans- 8 PM (Comcast West, News10)
    San Antonio at Memphis- 8 PM (MyTV 35)
    Dallas at Cleveland- 8 PM- ESPN (FSN Ohio/ WUAB, KTXA)
    Seattle at Denver- 10:30 PM- ESPN (Altitude, FSN Northwest)

#2 bigddan11, Oct 31, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2007
  3. email2003

email2003 *Classically Trained*

LOL! My Rockets beat the L.A. Fakers with the fans booing Kobe all night. What a great way to start the season!:D

4. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

Kobe got booed at home? Burn!

with Oden out for the season, all eyes will be on Durant this season.

5. bigddan11

[​IMG] (0-1) Washington Wizards 110
    [​IMG] (1-0) Indiana Pacers 119

[​IMG] (0-1) Milwaukee Bucks 83
    [​IMG] (1-0) Orlando Magic 102

[​IMG] (0-1) Philadelphia 76ers 97
    [​IMG] (1-0) Toronto Raptors 106

[​IMG] (0-1) Chicago Bulls 103
    [​IMG] (1-0) New Jersey Nets 112

[​IMG] (0-1) Sacramento Kings 90
    [​IMG] (1-0) New Orleans Hornets 104

[​IMG] (1-0) Dallas Mavericks 92
    [​IMG] (0-1) Cleveland Cavaliers 74

[​IMG] (2-0) San Antonio Spurs 104
    [​IMG] (0-1) Memphis Grizzlies 101

[​IMG] (0-1) Seattle Sonics 103
    [​IMG] (1-0) Denver Nuggets 120

I will say I loved the result in Cleveland. Dallas's defense looked fairly impressive as they kept LeBron scoreless during the first half of the game. The Mavericks showed they still have a lot of scoring potential as well. It shouldn't be a surprise, btu all three Texas teams won their openers.

Tonight's games:
    Detroit at Miami- 8 PM- TNT
    Houston at Utah- 9 PM- KJZZ & FSN Houston
    Phoenix at Seattle- 10:30 PM- TNT

Once week one finishes (on Sunday), I will just post a weekly schedule, and I won't post all the finals everyday, so be sure to talk about the games you wish to after they happen.

6. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

I heard the Sonics were in it until the Nuggets landed three consecutive treys in the 4th to pull away for good. I'm headed down to Key Arena this evening to watch their home opener against the Suns.

7. bigddan11

[​IMG] (1-0) Detroit Pistons 91
    [​IMG] (0-1) Miami Heat 80

[​IMG] (2-0) Houston Rockets 106
    [​IMG] (1-1) Utah Jazz 95

[​IMG] (1-0) Phoenix Suns 106
    [​IMG] (0-2) Seattle Supersonics 99

Tonight's games:
    Miami at Indiana- 7 PM- FSN Indiana, Sun Sports
    Detroit at Orlando- 7 PM- FSN Florida, TV20 Detroit
    Milwaukee at Charlotte- 7 PM- WMYT
    Dallas at Atlanta- 7:30 PM- SportSouth, FSN Southwest
    New York at Cleveland- 7:30 PM- FSN Ohio, MSG
    Toronto at New Jersey- 7:30 PM- YES
    Washington at Boston- 8 PM- ESPN, Comcast New England, Comcast DC
    Portland at New Orleans- 8 PM- Cox Sports, Comcast Northwest
    Denver at Minnesota- 8 PM- KSTC45, Altitude
    Philadelphia at Chicago- 8:30 PM- Comcast Chicago, CN8 Philadelphia
    Sacramento at San Antonio- 8:30 PM- KENS, Comcast West
    Golden State at LA Clippers- 10:30 PM- FSN Prime Ticket, FSN Bay Area
    LA Lakers at Phoenix- 10:30 PM- ESPN, FSN Arizona, KCAL

8. email2003

I hate the Utah fans. I really do. They boo at almost every whistle the refs blow against them.

McGrady dumps 47 on the Jazz to shut the fans up for a Rockets victory! Revenge from last year's 1st round playoff series.

2-0!

9. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

Despite Ric Bucher's suggestion to the contrary last night, it now appears that Kobe Bryant did in fact invoke his no-trade clause (the only remaining and no doubt last such that will ever be given in an NBA contract) to kill a trade with Chicago.

The Lakers had been insistent that Luol Deng be included in any Kobe trade, and the Bulls equally insistent that Deng was untouchable. However, Chicago apparently caved on that when extension talks with Deng stalled, & offered Deng & Gordon for Kobe. (Other players would be needed to make salaries match.) But Kobe wants to be sure that he doesn't go to a Bulls team too depleted to instantly compete for the title, and specifically he wants to play with Deng; so he vetoed the deal.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?STORY_ID=5880

10. bigddan11

It's not only the Jazz fans though. Have you ever listened to a Jazz game with the Jazz announcers? Most teams try and keep neutral. That's not the case for the Jazz announcers, who are the most biased announcers Ive heard for any sport. They claim that everything is a foul, among other things. I listen to other teams announcers, but I refuse to listen to the Jazz announcers. The Spurs radio announcers are a close second in terms of being biased though to the Jazz.

11. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

Clay Bennett made it official Friday afternoon: he's filed his intent to relocate the Sonics to Oklahoma City, a thinly veiled eventuality when he and his fellow Okies purchased the club prior to the '06-'07 season.

He'll have the devil's own task getting them home though. There's a lengthy legal dispute w/ the city of Seattle. In addition, the request must first be arbitrated by at least 5 team owners as appointed by Stern. If it gets passed them, then vote is put to the Board of Governors (also made up of team owners) whom must approve as a majority rule.

Though the league has approved two relocations this decade alone (Memphis and New Orleans) this request could very well be denied. The Grizzlies and Hornets struggles have not changed in their new locales. In fact they, along with two other clubs, penned a letter to Stern commenting on the disadvantages of small-market franchises. I'm not taking potshots at anyone's civic pride however the reality is this: OKC is not Seattle. Taking a $350M investment from one of the elite US markets to OKC is insane. The board will look at that market and draw comprisons to the cause-and-effects being suffered by the likes of Milwaukee, Charlotte, New Orleans, Memphis, and Orlando.

In the end, I believe the panel will reject Bennett's request thus forcing his hands to sell the club to local ownership. If there's any justice Bennett and his camp will have to eat a loss because I don't believe there'sa group who will pay more than the $350M Bennett overpaid for the club in 2006.

12. email2003

Oklahoma City Super Sonics!?

Doesn't sound right at all!:sad:

13. bigddan11

If more fans are willing to support the team in Oklahoma City than in Seattle, then this could very well be approved. I know you've thrown arguements before about how they'd lose money, but I didn't agree with yuo then, and I don't now. The sale in Durant jerseys alone could end up being higher in Oklahoma City than Seattle solely because of the number of Longhorn haters that would be willing to support him if he led a NBA franchise in their fair city. I also look that Oklahoma City's arena, while it may be smaller than Seattle's, sold out every game when the Hornets were there for two years, and I believe they'd be willing to build a larger arena if it could bring them a pro team. The biggest opposition could very well be Mark Cuban, who would claim they're taking away Mavericks sales, but I believe that point could be easily null-and-void since he already lost a lot of those fans when the Hornets played in OkC.

New Orleans has struggled mostly due to Hurricane Katrina, though I thought it was dumb of them to move to New Orleans in the first place from Charlotte. Memphis has done better in Tennessee than in Vancouver. If he really wanted to strike a heart though and keep to a larger city, there's a nice gambling city not that far from Seattle who would gladly embrace the Sonics. The question is whether or not Stern would approve that.

14. Cartoon_Kid

Cartoon_Kid Customized

Well..mavricks are going to smoke them rockets

15. email2003

LOL, we'll see! You guys are still hurting from your 1st round exit in your so called "Return to the Finals" last year?:D

16. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

You mean Reno? Haven't heard a thing about that city wanting an NBA team lately. :D If you mean that other, much, much bigger gambling city much further south, closer to Los Angeles than Seattle, then I have heard a thing about that. The big issue for Las Vegas isn't the sports wagering public relations problem as many believe, since you can already bet on the state college athletic teams, Nevada and UNLV already, but rather, the lack of a suitable arena. There are two proposals under consideration right now I'm aware of, once a little to the east of the Las Vegas Strip, and the other is closer to downtown Las Vegas, north of the Las Vegas Strip. Since construction couldn't begin for a while, I believe the earliest realistic chance for a team in Las Vegas would be in 2010.

17. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

Wow, the Lakers have actually had a pretty darned good start through the first 3 games of the season:
    1) They lost the season opener to the Rockets, true, but only on a late Houston 3 -- and frankly, that's a game LA would've won easily anyway if they'd simply been hitting their free throws;
    2) they then absolutely OWNED Phoenix -- a team considered the best in the league by many heading into the season -- in a wire-to-wire cakewalk to spoil the Suns' home opener;
    3) and last night, LA pounded another division winner in the Jazz.

The Lakers could very easily be 3-0 right now, with all games (especially the last 2) against really high-caliber opponents -- in other words, wins that probably wouldn't have been predicted, looking at the Lakers' early season schedule.

MEANWHILE ... the Bulls are now 0-3 on the season.

Interesting.

Chicago's position with Deng and Gordon already wasn't too great, and seems to have worsened after the Bulls offered both to the Lakers in a Kobe trade package.

It's just 3 games so far, so it's WAAAAY too early to say much; but *IF* trends were to continue for both teams, Chicago might very well seek to reopen Kobe trade talks with LA before the deadline -- and the Lakers (if the Lakers are still set on moving Kobe at that point) would be in a MUCH improved negotiation position, even considering Kobe's no-trade clause.

18. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

curses, the Sonics fall to 0-4 losing another 4th qtr lead.

19. Katsumara

Katsumara Ohi.

They can't seem to finish, obviously.. but Durant sure is a bright spot.

In other news, the Bulls are letting the Kobe deal distract them as they too now fall to 0-4 of pure suck.

20. email2003

Last night my Rockets beat the champs and gave them their 1st loss of the season.

4-1:D