1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Naruto Shippuden" Disney XD Talkback: Three-Tails Arc

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by bleachj0j, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Eh... the first Naruto had a very successful run all things considered. It didn't get canned until the filler and only a fraction of the episodes of those filler seasons didn't air. It just wasn't given an honorable death by any means. Nobody would consider that broadcast a failure given Cartoon Network treated Naruto like gold for around 180 episodes of it's 220.

Shippuden's on the other hand was only treated well for about 60-70 episodes before DXD started burying it but ratings may have been the cause in which case it's record is even more tarnished. Hopefully that doesn't keep it from getting another broadcast home but apparently Viz uploaded episodes 101-112 on iTunes recently and DXD hasn't even reached 100.

2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I still like Disney XD, but I hate how they're treating Shippuden.:sad:

3. Lord Mawdryn

Lord Mawdryn Board Bad Boy

I think the original Naruto series was getting decent ratings on CN even during the filler--it may even have been outperforming some of their original shows--but it was pulling in a slightly older audience than they really wanted at the time. Possibly there might even have been an issue of CN getting more of a return from their own properties (through merchandising and home video sales) than from an acquisition like Naruto.

Could be that the same scenario has already played out at Disney XD,
    "Well, there's your problem..."
    :dexter:
    But seriously, it really could be that a great deal of Shippuden's audience see the show through other means and the ratings on Disney XD reflect that.

#43 Lord Mawdryn, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2011
  4. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

The last Naruto premiere that ran on Cartoon Network outperformed a heavily advertised Batman: The Brave and the Bold episode. Naruto was by no means in ratings trouble on Cartoon Network.

What happened to Naruto on CN was politics, plain and simple. CN had regime change, and the new regime decided that whatever DVD residuals CN got from Naruto was not enough and they demanded Viz to give up more merchandise money. Viz balked, Naruto got cancelled. The current regime on CN does not care about ratings, they want merchandise money from toys and games, and it does not matter what the ratings are as long as the toys sell. That's what doomed Sym-Bionic Titan, not the ratings, but the lack of a merch deal. That's what keeps Bakugan on the network even though viewers have rejected the show since its inception, the toys sell, so the show goes on.

The same thing probably just happened to Shippuden, though its ratings were a bit of a drop from the original series, though Disney moving it around the schedule was part of it, Avengers: EMH has had struggling ratings too from DXD shuffling that show around (same with any action properties DXD has touched actually).

So yeah, Naruto's done on US TV. Again. And this time it's probably for good.

Somewhere out there Jeff Harris is tap-dancing.

5. honorableninja

perhaps viz should take a page from funimation book and just release naruto shippuden on dvd like funi does with one piece which pretty much went the same way as naruto did when toonmai ended?

so far the only one of the big three that does well on tv is bleach on adult swim and i often wonder how that will last.

of course i unlike the rest of you shouldn't complain as i don't help anyone due to fact i only have enough money for internet and watch everything online and i get my dvds from either netfilx or my local libairy.

6. Swolenator

Swolenator New Member

sigh this is so annoying. and i looked in my dvr history and it said naruto shippuden was canceled and the reason it gave was this content expired or something like that...

7. Mohji

Mohji Member

Naruto Shippuden is pre-empted once again this week. That makes a full month.

8. {Shadow}

{Shadow} #Toonami - Saturdays 11pm-4am!

Yeah... they really don't want to air this show anymore. All premieres for this month have been removed.

9. Lanmanna

Lanmanna Member

Ugh, I made a post a few months back how I thought Shippuden would be killed off. I just wish I wasn't right. :(

10. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

I'd say the first Naruto series was a success on CN, the way the network handled it was poor but it pulled in good ratings which made it a success. Shippuden was unfortunately on a fly by night network that isn't available to everyone, had it been on regular Disney Channel then it may have found success. Still, the series sells well on DVD and is one of the top streamed anime's through the major legal streaming sites, so it doesn't really need television.

Still, I'm upset that Disney doesn't just find a good slot for it, 11PM on a Saturday is certainly not going to draw in any viewers.... :sad:

11. Mohji

Mohji Member

This is why it baffles me that DXD can't properly finish airing the episodes they have acquired. It's not like it's airing in a prime time slot or anything.

12. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Really if they think 11PM is too good of a slot then cut Spider-Man: TAS down to a half hour and run Shippuden at Midnight on Saturday (or Sunday) or death slot the last of it but I'm thinking they're not going to air the rest at all and 11PM on Saturday was as bad of a slot as they were willing to give the premieres before it wasn't worth it to them to air it at all.

13. SoulEaterHaruhi

SoulEaterHaruhi I am Lamp. I like candy.

Looking over these posts, it really looks like the death of Naruto Shippuden on DXD. So, where will it go now? It's possible Nicktoons may not even want it since they're having a ball with the Dragonball franchise. I mean, why take a failed show from one of the rival networks? Then again, stranger things have happened. :shrug:

Guess this is it, and just thought I ask since I got a pal who used to watch it.

14. Swolenator

Swolenator New Member

what was the number of the last episode shown/name of it?

15. SoulEaterHaruhi

SoulEaterHaruhi I am Lamp. I like candy.

From looks of it, episode 97, The Labyrinth of Distorted Reflection, back on Oct. 8th. Hope that helps. :)

16. Swolenator

Swolenator New Member

so any updates on naruto english dub version? I usually only watch english dubs. Is it coming back on? Switching channels? Btw anyone know if the dvds on netflix are the english dub versions? Trying figure out how to watch the rest of the series but in english dub not sub.

17. Morac

Morac Infrequent Poster

The Netflix DVD's are the unedited dubs. No idea where Naruto is going after Disney abandoned it. Strangely though my TiVo says Shippuden is airing on DXDHD on December 31 at 11 PM EST. That's probably wrong though.

18. Butterstar

Butterstar Bring Sakura back to the US!

Well, if there's a place to deathslot it, it'd be there, while everyone's watching goofy Dick Clark.

19. The Talon

The Talon Active Member

So, I think it's safe to say Disney's now done with the show. :sad:

20. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

When the h was the last time they showed an ep?