"Naruto Shippuden" Disney XD Talkback: Three-Tails Arc

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by bleachj0j, Aug 20, 2011.

1. bleachj0j

bleachj0j Demon Slayer in training

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Summary
    With the immortal Akatsuki member defeated, Ochimaru begins to move. Kabuto is instructed to take a boy with the power to control the three tails biju. Tsunade locates Ochimaru hideout and sends out in order stop him. With the efforts of Akatsuki, Konoha, and Team Guren to capture the Three-Tails will Naruto and the others stop them?
    [​IMG]

Opening Four: "CLOSER" by Inoue Joe (eps 78-102)

Opening Five: "Hotaru no Hikari" by Ikimono-Gakari (eps 103-128)

Upcoming Episodes
    Sat Aug 27 - 11:00 - 240 - Encounter
    Sat Sep 3 - 11:00 - 241 - Connecting Hearts
    Sat Sep 10 - 11:00 - 242 - A Night of Rain
    Sat Sep 17 - 11:00 - 243 - The Two Charms
    Sat Sep 24 - 11:00 - 244 - The Unseeing Enemy

2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

This filler arc, just to warn people, has a very slow paced and boring beginning. I almost couldn't stick through part of it.:sweat:

3. Lord Mawdryn

Lord Mawdryn Board Bad Boy

Doesn't that pretty much sum up Shippuden in general?
    :anime:

One thing I do like about Naruto filler arcs is that they do give more screen time to other Leaf Village characters as well as show other aspects of the Naruto universe. Yeah, the villains are generally B-List and forgettable, but I usually find them entertaining in some way. At least this arc does incorporate more Orochimaru and Sasuke.

4. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

Great episode of Shippuden this past week, I loved the segments between Orochimaru and Sasuke and the interactions with Orochimaru and Guren, they were handled nicely. I'm really enjoying this arc quite a bit, I've seen it subbed so many moons ago and now its nice to check it out dubbed on television, I can't wait to see the 3-Tails in action once again!

5. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

6. Lord Mawdryn

Not stellar ratings, but not totally in the basement either given that timeslot and what it's up against.

7. O-chan

O-chan Active Member

"Can you hear the froggy song!" I swear if anything wanted me to stab my ears this was it! Despite the episode opening on that stupidity it lead into a gorgeous scene that although wasn't in the manga was one of the volume covers. It's little touches like those that shows the animators have learned their lessons from the filler heck at the end of the first series and are trying to make this filler significant.O-chan

8. Dark Edge

Dark Edge New Member

Since Im a Naruto fan. Im usually hypocritical when it comes to fillers usually preferring Naruto fillers over other anime fillers but I won't lie there is better Bleach and DBZ fillers than this but I enjoy this filler though given I never it before.

9. Manga4life

Great episode this week, especially with the scene where Naruto went to Tsunade to be given permission to go on the mission, the flashback scenes with Jirya were excellent and the overall story has been pretty stellar.

I'm surprised more people are visiting this thread and discussing Shippuden on a weekly basis, I know a lot of us have already seen these episodes but it's still fun to revisit them and take in a blast from the past.

10. Dragnatek

Dragnatek New Member

Given the time spot and channel those ratings are not that bad. Still not good but not bad.

11. Sketch

12. SoulEaterHaruhi

SoulEaterHaruhi I am Lamp. I like candy.

Ewwww, that's pretty bad. :sweat:

Compared to DBZ Kai making a killing in its premiere ratings on Nicktoons and being its highest rated show, this show's run on Disney XD lately... ouch. How the mighty have fallen, I suppose. Never was into Naruto (or Shippuden), but that's too bad it's falling on Disney XD. And just recently the (re)release of the Sailor Moon and Codename: Sailor V manga knocked a recently released Naruto volume from 1st place to 5th place in just one week on the NY Times Best Sellers List for Manga. Is the almighty ninja starting to crumble in the states?

I know this series still popular, but you'd figure it'd have a better primetime slot and on a better night. Too bad. Hope it can recover for those who watch it exclusively on TV.

13. Manga4life

Those ratings really have no bearing on just how popular Naruto is in the United States, especially since the series is being mistreated with an 11PM time slot. Naruto is still very popular here in the United States and the proof is in merch sales and the fact that the DVD's do well for themselves and the manga is constantly #1 for weeks on end on the NY Times Manga charts when a new volume is released.

Disney XD is letting a valuble series slowly die on their network by placing episodes on as late as they do, but I never thought the show quite fit on the network anyway and I've always wondered why they grabbed it.

14. Beefy

Beefy It only hurts forever

Timeslot change or did the show get pulled?
    My guide says Naruto is supposed to be on now, but it's Phineas and Ferb instead.

EDIT: Looks like Phineas and Ferb took up the 11:30 slot as well. Probably just a preemption for a lame marathon. Hopefully it will be back to normal next week.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2011
  15. Morac

Morac Infrequent Poster

Phineas and Ferber is on instead of Naruto, despite what the guide data says. Anyone know why?

Edit: I think it might be an unannounced P&F marathon.

16. Lord Mawdryn

Naruto had a good home on Cartoon Network, but then CN changed and Naruto was no longer a desirable property there (too many viewers over 11 and no big cut of the merchandising from Viz).

A similar situation seems to have unfolded at Disney XD in which the show may no longer be needed there. DXD has new properties that can easily replace Naruto next year--such as the upcoming Tron: Uprising and Ultimate Spider-man--programs that are ultimately wholly owned and can be completely exploited by Disney.
    Which probably is another reason--if not the main reason--why Naruto isn't doing so well on TV. More people are watching it elsewhere. Well over a million people may watch Naruto every week, but only a fraction of that watch it on Disney XD.

17. Sketch

Another pre-emption?

It'll probably be back next week but this is getting ridiculous and reminding me all too well of how Cartoon Network phased out Naruto by airing it once every two weeks.

But just as Naruto was not unpopular when CN did that, Naruto is far from unpopular today. It's just suffering from being pick up by networks that like it or even adore it for a while then change their tune and bury it. 3rd times the charm perhaps but a 3rd time seems very unlikely. Most shows don't get 2 chances much less 3.

Naruto is popular enough to keep selling without a TV deal. It's probably not an exaggeration to say that the majority of it's audience now watch it online in Japanese. Maybe not much more than half but I'm confident it's more than half at this point. More than half of Naruto viewers in the US will watch it in Japanese and probably already watch the simulcast. That's why it's the #1 anime on Hulu and gets views on the level of FOX comedies on Hulu.

So Naruto will survive with or without a TV deal now but it would still be good to get it on a channel that will not only give it their full support until it ends but also use it's success to push for more action animation and more animation from Japan that isn't just shelling card games or toys.

18. Mohji

Mohji Member

Maybe Disney XD heard that Viz is trying to pitch Naruto and Shippuden to other networks through that distribution deal, so now they're treating the show poorly - not that they weren't treating it poorly before, haha.

19. Swolenator

Swolenator New Member

so is the episode that was supposed to be on going to be shown or are they just skipping an episode... I hate when they do this especially when they just completely skip the episode and go to the next.

20. Lord Mawdryn

Those that initially thought Disney XD was an unlikely home for Naruto are now being proven right.