1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

N64 or PS

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by James Harvey, Jul 23, 2001.

1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

With Gamecube and PS2 comin', I noticed that the originasl PS and N64 are starting to fall in prices, along with the games. I was wondering, any suggestions on which one I should buy? I'm considering picking one up. I'm dieing to play that SPIDER-MAN game.

2. icecold

icecold Guest

Playstation. Don't even think of getting an N64, it SUCKS!, I had one and believe me you don't want to be associated with that p.o.s.. The games aren't as good (in most cases) or plentiful and the graphics and sound are a joke! The PS version of Spider-Man is the best anyway.

3. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Whyyyyy'sis heead so biiiiiig?

Eh, the N64 didn't suck, it had some great games made for them. It just didn't have 1/5th of the game selection the PSOne did. And the graphics were actually a bit better than the PSOne (nothing on the PSOne looks as good as Zelda), though the sound was admittedly fairly weak in some places. If you dig the Nintendo stuff, it's worth picking one up cheap just to get the Zeldas, Banjo-Kazooie, Goldeneye, Conker's Bad Fur Day, etc. Though with the PSOne you've got a much larger back catalogue to choose from.

And there really wasn't much difference between the two versions of Spiderman... they looked exactly the same, actually.

4. icecold

icecold Guest

Somebody told me the N64 version didn't have FMV's and the control scheme didn't go well with the N64 controller therefore making it hard to do things.

5. The Mad Hatter

Since the N64 couldn't do video playback, they actually converted the FMVs into a comic strip-like form. It's actually fairly cool and much better than the still images I was expecting. And I didn't have any trouble with the control set up... then again, I'm not one of those who thinks the N64 controler absolutely sucks, even though the PS controller gets the job done a bit better.

6. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

DG, I'd say go with the Playstation. The game selection is unbelievable and you should be able to get most games at really good prices. N64 games typically seem to be more expensive.

7. James Harvey

PS2? Okay, I think I may. I won't buy until Sept. or so, but that sounds good. For PS2, I planned to get MUTANT ACADEMY, SPIDER-MAN right off the bat. Is there a short list of other games I should pick up?

8. icecold

icecold Guest

For PS, Metal Gear Solid is a must. Final Fantasy 7 & 8 are also great and if you have the patience Batman & Robin is cool once you get into it.

9. James Harvey

Is the TOMB RAIDER game series anygood? Is that even for PS?

10. icecold

icecold Guest

I reccomend Tomb Raider II and TR: The Last Revelation. They're both on PS.

EDIT: Mutant Academy 2 and Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro are coming out this fall just in case you didn't know.

11. The Mad Hatter

I wouldn't reccomend Tomb Raider. It's been pretty much the same game over and over and over since it first came out five years ago. Think of it as the video game equivalent of pandering to the lowest common denominator. Though on the plus side, Laura Croft's breasts get bigger in every installment.

Some suggestions:

PSOne:
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    Metal Gear Solid
    Vagrant Story
    Resident Evil 2

PS2:
    Twisted Metal: Black
    Onimusha
    Red Faction

12. James Harvey

That for PS or PS2?

13. The Mad Hatter

'Twould be PS. Spider-Man: Enter Electro is more or less using the same game engine with new material, but it looks like it'll be darn cool.