1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

My Top 10 list of cartoon shows Warner Archive should release on DVD.

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by dth1971, Aug 31, 2014.

1. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Here's my top 10 list of what Warner owned library cartoons should get Warner Archive DVD releases:
    1) Road Rovers
    2) Jana of the Jungle
    3) Devlin
    4) These Are The Days
    5) Where's Huddles
    6) Detention
    7) Yogi's Space Race
    8) Galaxy Goof-Ups
    9) Yo, Yogi!
    10) Rick Moranis in Gravedale High

Now let's see yours!

2. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

You should probably say a little something about these shows, such as why you'd like to see them on DVD, so this won't be seen as a list thread.

Anyways, most of the shows on that list only ran for a single season and as such are neither long-running or popular enough to get full DVD releases of their own. Back in the days of VHS, they'd get packaged together as a 'Best of Saturday Morning" compilation volume or something similar.

Does Galaxy Goof-Ups really need its' own separate set? It was just a recurring segment on Yogi's Space Race; granted it was the first segment from YSR to get spun off into its' own series, but I think would be easier to just put all of those segments together in a YSR set.

3. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

However, comments are welcome on my Top 10 list if you can't make up your own.

4. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Uh, yeah, I did comment on your list. Re-read the quoted text.

5. magicdog

magicdog Active Member

These are worth releasing IMO. Jana was one of the first animated heroines - a female Tarzan of sorts - who could hold her own series. I only wish a conclusion had been given to her story.

Devlin was an attempt to bring some family drama to Saturday mornings. I thought the show was likeable but needed more "oomph". It might be nice to see a release and mention some backstory on how the show began (as a series for Evel Knieval) and how it was retooled into the final result.

"These Are The Days" is also a time capsule in which HB wanted to duplicate "The Waltons" for Saturday mornings. Although it didn't last more than a season, it is also worth a look. It's not often toons are set at the turn of the last century.

These would be better served as one DVD collection; perhaps in addition to the original Yogi shorts and/or "Hey There It's Yogi Bear!" (1964). Personally, I didn't care for them.

This show was essentially a ripoff of The Flintstones, just updated to the present and focusing on football. Even the majority of the voice cast were recycled. Very meh IMO.

6. ClassicTVMan1981

Galaxy Goof-Ups was actually a segment within the complete Yogi's Space Race block from 9/9/78 through 10/28/78; GGU was ran standalone for the last five episodes. Buford & the Galloping Ghost (which comprises one segment each of The Buford Files and The Galloping Ghost) was also part of YSR from 9/9/78 through 1/27/79. Both YSR and B&tGG were then reran in their own half-hour slots from 2/3/79 through 9/15/79.

~Ben

#6 ClassicTVMan1981, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2014
  7. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Active Member

1. Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo (70's and 80's versions)

I know Scrappy-Doo is the worst character but it would be nice. Why just put episodes with Scrappy-Doo in the 13 Spooky Tales series when you can make a DVD collections starring everyone's favorite cowardly canine and his brave nephew. I'd pay big bucks for The New Scooby-Doo Mysteries on DVD.

2. Richie Rich (80's version)

That Richie Rich and Scooby-Doo Show DVD wasn't good enough, I'll give you that. A complete DVD series of Richie Rich himself sounds way better. I should like to see all the episodes as listed. That way, the episode list in Wikipedia is complete. Anyway, it would be really great if we saw a complete DVD series of Richie Rich.

3. The What-A-Cartoon! Show/World Premiere Toons

I happen to be among the people who want the classic WAC! shorts to be on DVD. I will not lie. I have great memories about The What-A-Cartoon! Show, especially when I saw Shake and Flick. It was one of my favorite shorts along with Pfish and Chip and Swamp and Tad. Also, it would be great if the CN shorts from 2000, 2001, and 2002 were included (e.g. Nikki).

4. Yogi's Treasure Hunt

I'm sure most people want this H-B cartoon to be on DVD, too. You wouldn't believe the epic episodes there were to see. To me, the best one ever was Snow White and the Seven Treasure Hunters. You got to give Russi Taylor credit for voicing Snow White. Her best voice role yet since Minnie Mouse and Baby Gonzo. Overall, watching Yogi and the gang's adventures on DVD would be the best treasure there was.

5. Cow and Chicken/I Am Weasel

Why we haven't seen these shows created by David Feiss on DVD, I'll never know. I always love to hear Charlie Adler voice Cow, Chicken, The Red Guy, and I.R. Baboon. The one C&C episode I love the most is "Who is Super Cow?". As for I Am Weasel, I also love how Michael Dorn voices Weasel (both in the segments and spin-off series). If Cow and Chicken and I Am Weasel had their own DVD collections, that would be great.

8. ClassicTVMan1981

9. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Here are 10 releases that are IMHO way over due...

The Addams Family (1992) - it was pretty popular, probably the best known incarnation, it's great for Halloween, enjoyed it

The Centurions - popular show, I'd love to see those remaining 60 episodes at some point - probably split into two 30 episode sets, but I guess remastering all of it takes time

Fish Police - obscure, but very interesting, I liked the idea, has only 6 episodes -> could fit onto 1 DVD

Tigersharks - smaller than Silverhawks and even smaller than Thundercats, however equally enjoyable

The Mask - pretty good and pretty popular (especially overseas), memorable and in some ways better than the movie

Gobots - remaining 30 episodes are a must...

What A Cartoon! - the best CN has ever produced, rights may be an issue, but these shorts deserve a good quality release

Galtar & Golden Lance - fairly good and known show, no idea what's the hold up

Dink Little Dinosaur - cute show, good dinosaur show, again fairly known

10. ReAnimator

ReAnimator New Member

Not a top 10, and probably not all WAC properties, but here goes...

1. The Lone Ranger (1966): So far we've only seen one episode on DVD, as a bonus with the live-action seasons 1 & 2 75th anniversary release. The European release of the 1980 animated Lone Ranger misleadingly uses a graphic from the '66 series on the cover.

2. Back to the Future: The animated series was promised on DVD for the 25th anniversary back in 2010 but never eventuated. Maybe next year for the 30th?

3. Fonz and the Happy Days Gang: I'm a Happy Days tragic, and bad as this no doubt was, it'd be great to have for nostalgia value if nothing else.

4. Laverne and Shirley in the Army: I wasn't into L&S as much as Happy Days, but this would still be nice to have as a curiosity.

5. The Mork and Mindy/Laverne and Shirley/Happy Days Hour: Mork and Mindy was another of my favorite sitcoms, and this would complete the Happy Days animated spinoffs.

6. Brady Kids: See a pattern emerging here? Basically I love late '60s/early '70s sitcoms and their obligatory animated versions.

7. Partridge Family in the Year 2022: Didn't even know this existed until recently, and ticks all the boxes as per my previous point.

8. New Adventures of Gilligan: This is the most likely one on the list to actually happen. It was promised a few years back, along with Gilligan's Planet, which finally had a belated release recently. Hopefully this one isn't too far behind!

11. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

DreamWorks Classic now owns this series.

Universal owns anything BTTF related.

CBS/Paramount has the rights on all 4 of these.

Sony.

The only WB property on your list. You really need to do some research, or go back through older threads where these series have been discussed.

Long as I'm here, I'd like to see Warner Archive re-release series previously made available through their MOD (Manufactured On Demand) service, such as Thundarr, to general release, so guys like me can get their hands on them.

12. ReAnimator

ReAnimator New Member

Thanks for the info. Didn't expect them to all be WAC, but surprised how few are considering the many and varied properties they've been picking up from different studios.

Still, seemed the best place to put an overall wish list.

13. ReAnimator

ReAnimator New Member

Well, cross another one off the wish list: TV Shows on DVD reports The Brady Kids has been listed on Amazon Canada for an early 2016 release!

[​IMG]

And Back to the Future came out a few months back for the franchise's 30th anniversary.

14. ClassicTVMan1981

My picks for 2016:
    1. Jana of the Jungle (1978)
    2. The New Fred & Barney Show (1979)
    3. The New Shmoo (1979)
    4. The Flintstone Comedy Hour (1972) (complete 1-hour series)
    5. The Flintstone Comedy Show (1980) (complete 90-minute series)
    6. Devlin (1974)
    7. These are the Days (1974)
    8. Yogi's Space Race (1978) (complete 90-minute series)
    9. The Cattanooga Cats (1969) (complete 1-hour series)
    10. C.B. Bears (1977) (complete 1-hour series)
    11. Skatebirds (1977) (complete 1-hour series with the edited Clue Club reruns added in - Woofer & Whimper)
    12. The Mumbly Cartoon Show (1976)
    13. Dynomutt, Dog Wonder (1976) (with original opening and closing titles from The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour as last seen on USA Cartoon Express)

~Ben

15. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

And here's my updated Top 10 list for other possible 2016 Warner Archive cartoon DVD releases which does not include Classic TV Man's 2016 picks:
    1) Popeye and Son (1987)
    2) Harlem Globetrotters (1970-1972)
    3) Histeria! (1998-2000)
    4) Detention (1999)
    5) Waynehead (1996)
    6) New Adventures of Gilligan (1974-1976)
    7) Tom and Jerry Comedy Show (1980)
    8) Yo, Yogi! (1991)
    9) Rick Moranis in Gravedale High (1990)
    10) Adventures of Gulliver (1968)
    HONORABLE MENTIONS:
    * If Warner Bros. can agree with Dreamworks, Warner Archive can release the complete series of Invasion America on DVD and the 1972 Daffy Duck and Porky Pig Meet the Groovie Goolies animated movie on DVD.
    * If Warner Archive can't make DVD volumes of its 1990-1991 Wake Rattle and Roll series - maybe the animated segments from the show - Monster Tails and Fender Bender 500 - could have their own Warner Archie DVD sets.
    * Would the 2 Tiny Toon specials - Spring Break and Night Ghoulery - also have possible release by Warner Archive?

16. dtemplar

dtemplar Old School Professor
    Reporter

Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle

I thought with an upcoming Tarzan film is coming up, why not. Warner has posted an episode on Saturday Morning : The 70s, and in order to get approved, they need to talk to the Burroughs Estate.

17. Ioz

Ioz Master of Mer

My top wants:
    1. Dark Water mini-series (Roddy McDowall as the voice of Niddler)
    2. Saturday Supercade (I know there are rights issues, but I'd still like to see at least some of the segments released)
    3. Mr. T Season 2 (I would like to see it completed)
    4. Dink, the Little Dinosaur (A good dinosaur show for all ages)
    tie 5a. Centurions Part 2 (I would like to see this completed as well)
    5b. Heathcliff & Marmaduke (I know Heathcliff & DIngbat was the first season, but Marmaduke is a much more well known character than Dingbat)

18. Kinski Guy

Kinski Guy New Member

A few things of interest just to comment if some aren't familiar. On one of the recent podcasts they announced the New Adventures of Gilligan is coming. Plus last year on the podcasts when they talked about Snorks S2 and Centurions V1 they said the next releases for both would come sooner than previous waits. I'd say there's a good chance at least Centurions will be done this year.

I also believe they also made mention a bunch of older Tarzan releases got pushed back to release them closer to the new film. I admittedly do not remember which media piece that comment was on, but it could certainly apply to why that animated series isn't out yet.

There's also some mentioned in this thread that aren't WB owned or are more than likely coming out from WHV rather than WA.

For my list, at the moment just for WA its:
    1. Wildfire: Fresh off Galtar's release last year, this one is at an all time high on my wish list
    2. New Hanna Barbera Cartoon Series: I hope this one's in the works soon. Probably going to take two sets given the number of episodes. But I really like Wally and company. It took us a few years to get Atom and Secret, I hope it continues
    3. Fangface: As mentioned in the other thread, I enjoy Fangface. Don't know if it'll take one or two sets.
    4. Rock Odyssey: Obviously as they said the music rights are a problem. If cleared I so want to see this thing
    5. Filmation Superboy: I include this one because they no longer say "it's Warner Home Video" when asked about. So I think it's in their hands. This finishes out this cycle of DC cartoons
    6. Young Robin Hood: This one taunts me. I vaguely remember it, but I remember I really dug it.
    7. MGM collections: Obviously, we need to get some more of them out, but hopefully the same process that's now delivering Hanna Babrera funny animals will eventually pull out their forefathers too.
    8. Yogi's Treasure Hunt: Not the next Yogi series but I remember a lot of these
    9. The rest of the Snorks: two left
    10. More tv Popeye cartoons

My list mostly falls on the HB+ side with a few others. I'm sure as long as the model stays active they'll get to more and more of the things listed in this thread. Of course would so help if WHV picked up the speed on a few of the other things they still are keeping. Ehh but sometimes you can't have everything always go as fast as you like.

19. ReAnimator

ReAnimator New Member

Thanks for the update on Gilligan! It's been "coming" for the past few years but hopefully that means it's close.

20. Kinski Guy

Kinski Guy New Member

Well this specifically was that it is actually coming out. They used to sometimes let things drop they were "working" or "about to start working". but sometimes those took years to actually materialize. Which I don't doubt them given most everything that got that response did trickle out. But of course those longer waits, are probably a reason they only really give bigger answers on their podcast or at comic cons nowadays.

Online it's mostly either a playful hint if something was asked for they know is soon coming or the standard "nothing to announce".

The twitter one (I think it's Matt Patterson, i looked up their names after failing to remember George Feltenstein's name in the Fangface topic lol) mentioned recently animation was ramping up. So I'd say more animated titles aren't too far away

EDIT: And like I said on Sunday, we now already have a date for the second volume of Centurions. It's due out March 15th.

#20 Kinski Guy, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016