1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

My thoughts on Liberty's Kids series

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by lwhitehead, May 18, 2017.

1. lwhitehead

lwhitehead Member

Hi as Canadian who knows his History the Cartoon series Liberty's Kids was in my mind was nice to watch but it suffered from in later eps a one sidedness.

Americans have a bad habit of White Washing History, no Nation is free of this but American tend to reach for the bucket more offen.

LW

2. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

These type of shows do end up giving that vibe pretty commonly unfortunately.

3. lwhitehead

lwhitehead Member

Well they could done better, they White Washed some points of the revolt such as the leader of the Boston Tea Party was a Smuggler of Tea he wanted to get rid of the Cheap Tea that was coming in.

The Sons of Liberty by current USA standard are a Terrorist group,

The Americans didn't have Clean Hands in that War nether did the British,

LW

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's been awhile since I watched this series, but toning down important event, glossing over key information, white washing and generally presenting an inaccurate version of historical events is certainly not new for the U.S. I imagine stuff like that is typical in other countries too, but even our textbook provide bare minimal information on most events past WWI. This show is no exception. It might be a fun way to introduce kids to these events and history in general, but it's certainly not the most accurate method.

As a side note, I always thought it was strange how the kids in the cast never aged. It's a cartoon aimed at kids, so that is pretty typical, but they actually did cover over a decade in the series and the kids never seemed to age or look significantly different. It was really weird.

5. lwhitehead

lwhitehead Member

The same Company that did this series also did Treasure Island and it was butchered too, One of the Cause of this War was the Land hungery Americans in the Nation of Six Nations.

LW

6. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

I watched this show in 4th or 5th grade along with other PBS Kids stuff like Between the Lions

Is the kids not aging in this even worse than the whole situation with Ash?

#6 Mikurotoro92, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  7. lwhitehead

lwhitehead Member

No it's the American White Wash that I couldn't take, it's dumb down American educational cartoon.

LW

8. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

I have never seen anyone get this passionate about Liberty's Kids.

9. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think it's worse. It's just more jarring when they actually do show time passing by in this series. Time in the Pokemon anime on the other hand has always been confusing and weird. Plus, I don't see people complaining about the kids in Liberty Kids not aging like people have done and continue to do with Ash.

10. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

That's because no one cares about Liberty's Kids. A better comparison would be to comic book characters who either never aged or stopped aging, like Spider-Man.

11. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Or Detective Conan. He should be 17 by now, not 7.

(lol that would ruin the entire plot)

12. lwhitehead

lwhitehead Member

Yeah well the cartoon could be done better,

LW

13. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

The episodes are adapted with the most mainstream, History textbook/classroom-friendly ideas of history. It makes sense that some bias would be present.

A little off-topic (but still on the subject of the show), I can't think of this show without thinking about the time it was on The Soup. (Look up "liberty's kids the soup" if you don't know what I'm talking about.) :D

14. zoomie

zoomie New Member

honestly i mostly just remember the theme song being catchy lol

not at all surprised that there'd be white washing

#14 zoomie, May 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2017
  15. lwhitehead

lwhitehead Member

I'm so glad that they never did one in the American Civil War,

LW

16. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

I caught a few eps when it was airing on PBS. It was pretty good, but nothing i'd go out of my way to see. I did think that casting Walter Cronkite as Ben Franklin was brilliant though.

17. lwhitehead

lwhitehead Member

Not the Voice Acting but the Cartoon itself was a White Wash Job, I mean North and South Mini series did a better job History then this Cartoon.

LW

18. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Trying to make a child friendly version of that war would probably be really hard to do. A part of me would almost be interested in what they could do to pull it off, but it would probably be bad. At least with a child friendly version of the Revolutionary War, they were able to capitalize on the patriotism of America to make it sound more appealing. They can't really focus on patriotism when the American Civil War was all about people within the country fighting each other.

I'm not sure how much of a feat that is considering that this is a cartoon aimed at children. Of course they aren't going to make a historically accurate version of the war.

19. lwhitehead

lwhitehead Member

Sorry It's just I don't like White Washing at any age level,

LW

20. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't like it either and I wasn't trying to excuse the white washing or anything like that. It's just that I can't be too surprised over a cartoon trying to show a child friendly version of the Revolutionary War.