1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

My New Animaniacs Blog

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by DarthGonzo, Apr 10, 2013.

1. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Isn't it fitting that the final episode of Animaniacs premiered the same day that I officially became an adult (i.e. turned 18)?

2. iptumcea

iptumcea Member

"MWAH! Goodnight, everybody!"
    I'm surprised they never used this as an tower outro.

3. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

4. Philmister978

Philmister978 Alvight, you vin

I think the Street Shark during the cantina scene was added in by the animators at Wang as an inside joke.

I also noticed that some of the troopers had Duracell colored backpacks and others didn't. Wonder why that was?

5. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Any guess is good, because we'll never know. I did ask Ruegger about it and he didn't seem to know what it was or why it was there. His best guess was that it was a "Hollywood Shark" looking for people to take advantage of, but a guess was all he could offer. The Wang Street Shark insertion sounds more likely to me.

6. Philmister978

Philmister978 Alvight, you vin

Yeah, I assumed that since Wang did do some episodes of that show (not sure which ones though, since they were credited with Mook, Fil-Cartoons and Jade at the same time).

7. DarthGonzo

8. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

What I find even stranger is how it's been on virtually everything except DVD. There's also Amazon, iTunes, Comcast on Demand, and that's just to name a few.

So, here we go with the big one. Honestly, I'd say this movie first act is actually a very solid start. The drama is believable, there's a lot of funny stuff, there's quite a few heartfelt moments (I know you're not into that, but I'm personally a sucker), and even the music is just as appealing as it was in the show.

"Never Give Up Hope" is definitely my favorite song in the whole film. It's the perfect introductory tune, it really helps set the tone, and it gives a nice and quick introduction to a lot of the secondary cast. The Ha'penny one, on the other hand, stretches one not-so-funny joke a lot longer than it should have, but at least it's still a good enough song by itself.

The Pinky and the Brain stuff is indeed very funny. Honestly, I'd go so far as to put some of them among the most memorable PatB exchanges, though that's kind of a stretch seeing how many memorable exchanges they actually have... okay, I'm just rambling now.

Yeah, I'll never get why they wanted to copy "Chairman of the Bored" either. At least the line 'You mean besides wishing you'd let go of my hand' gets a chuckle out of me.

What I find strange about TMS here is that, despite having to deal with dialogue-heavy scenes, they are clearly given more than a few opportunities to cut loose that they don't take advantage of, but from a technical standpoint, it still does a really good job of bringing some life into the environment, just in a different way. Like, I am hesitant to consider it on par with the show in terms of energy, but at the same time I think the overall quality is something almost worth putting in the cinema (which almost happened, apparently).

Overall, I think the first act has a clear direction and is overall highly entertaining. However, the middle act is where I feel it begins to loose some steam...

9. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

I would have cut a lot of these songs. What makes a musical work is when the songs enhance the current state of the plot, not derail it for a few minutes. The Ha'Penny song wasn't needed and neither were several songs in the middle about getting to the star.

10. DarthGonzo

11. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

You seem to be enjoying it more than I did. I was going in expecting something on the level of How I Spent My Vacation -- you know, the ultimate Animaniacs episode, like HISMV was the ultimate Tiny Toons episode.

12. DarthGonzo

I never went into Wakko's Wish hoping it was anything like HISMV. The Tiny Toons DTV was made while the show was still in production, during the early days of WBTA, when all the best writers and directors were still around and TMS was at the top of it's game. By Wakko's Wish, those days were long over and the quality of the various WBTA series had long since petered out.

13. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

Funny you keep calling the TV animation unit WBTVA, when it was never called that, only WBA to differentiate itself from WB Classic Animation, which handled most of the new Looney Tunes shorts and TV specials (and was originally doing to produce Space Jam, but IIRC Ivan Reitman nixed that) and WB Feature Animation. Which is troublesome for me, since I want to do a book on WB's TV cartoons, and I'm not sure what the title would be. Maybe "That's Not All, Folks: Warner Bros. Animation Beyond the Looney Tunes" or something like that?

But I digress. I remember first finding out about Wakko's Wish when I saw a trailer on another VHS tape (I think it may have been WHV's reissue of the Tom & Jerry Movie in 1999) and I thought it looked fun. I actually didn't know that Animaniacs had ended until I read about online a few months later. Because Wakko's Wish was released a little later than I expected from the trailer, and at that time, I didn't follow animation news religiously online (this was before Toonzone really started to be the site is now, and even before I started following Jerry Beck's Cartoon Research), I frankly lost interest. I saw part of it on CN a year or two later and liked it, but the largely negative reactions to it online made me wary of seeing it in full. I finally watched it in its entirety at a friend's house in 2006. I liked the Warners making the King their special friend and the Cave of Your Worst Nightmares, but pretty much everything else fell flat for me. Maybe if I see it again, possibly after looking over the Kids' WB episodes again, I'll have a better attitude towards it.

14. DarthGonzo

15. Toon4Thought

I don't have much to say about part 2. Darth said more about the secondary characters than I possibly could, and I agree with most of his points. I liked the "Wishing Star" song, but save for possibly "If I could Have My Wish", the others don't have much of a point. However, most of the chase stuff just doesn't do much for me than to just run the movie longer. I don't know why, I usually really like this stuff, particularly because the visuals did indeed continue to impress.

However, part 3 does manage to pick up a little. I definitely enjoyed their interactions with King Salazar, and he makes a pretty good target for the Warners, so if they had to annoy someone and play their old sthick somewhere, this was the most reasonable place to put it.

Out of everything in that cave sequence, I actually found it a little weird to see Baloney not handled by Wang.

The dramatic scene with Dot does feel a little bit forced, and though the models do feel off, I do like how they actually manage to put some beauty in the visuals. I don't hate this kind of stuff as much as you do. And I think they mainly did it because, well, it's a movie cliche. They really managed to dodge a bullet with that "acting lessons" line, too.

So, Dot gets what she calls a "cutie mark". I have... absolutely nothing to say... about that...

The happy endings are definitely all pleasant to see, even if a lot of them don't really follow the actual series, like Slappy's and the Goodfeathers'. However, that, along with the final bits of music before the credits, still makes for a bittersweet finale to the series IMHO. The portrait of the Warners' parents is a little jarring, but for some reason I didn't mind this all that much either.

So, I enjoyed this film. Not quite the best, but good enough for just a fun romp, and that's what a lot of us probably came in expecting. 7.5 out of 10.

16. TenPoundHammer

TenPoundHammer Wanna be on Wheel of Fortune

Reading your summary, I get the impression that this movie was just all over the place. It's like they couldn't decide whether to be serious or funny, so they split it down the middle. It just seems so awkward.

Also odd that they quit using Wheel of Morality segments about halfway through the actual show, but they brought it back one last time for an unironic use here. (I haven't exactly been keeping the closest tab on everything — exactly when did they stop those? Did that segment carry over to the Kids WB era or not?)

Reading your entire blog from day one was a fun experience. You've actually turned me into a convert. For so long, I espoused dislike of this show, but I had never truly realized that my dislike was based entirely on bad 20-year-old memories, exacerbated by the teasing I got for disliking the show as a child. I just never felt any motivation to look beyond that and revisit the show until you started this blog.

I really should just watch some more episodes already. :p

17. Toon4Thought

It was used throughout the Fox era, and only appeared in one Kids WB episode (#76).

18. DarthGonzo

19. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Your blogs kept on reminding me that I have a serious hole in my DVD collection without owning the last 2 volumes of the show. But on the plus side, it did get me to pull out the first 2 sets and rediscover some of it's incredible highs, which is just as important!

I'll miss reading your posts, since you did a fantastic job for each episode, but hey, congratulations on making it all the way through!

20. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

I may not have always agreed on your judgments of some of the episodes, but without a doubt, your reviews have been the best thing to happen to this forum in a long time. Congrats for sticking to it.