1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

My Little Pony: The Movie - Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by SB20xx, Oct 6, 2017.

1. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

[​IMG]

Release date: October 5, 2017
    Directed by: Jayson Thiessen
    Starring: Tara Strong, Ashleigh Ball, Andrea Libman, Tabitha St. Germain, Cathy Weseluck, Emily Blunt, Michael Peña, Liev Schreiber, Taye Diggs, Zoe Saldana, Kristin Chenoweth, Uzo Aduba, Sia

Thoughts?

The film's definitely worth seeing. The animation's a noticeable step up from the TV series, the songs are (mostly) catchy, and the ponies face one of their biggest threats yet. Also liked the varied locations in the film; it doesn't take place entirely in Equestria. The underwater kingdom is probably my favorite, since it's (I believe) a first for the series and the characters briefly transform, giving us something new.

Two criticisms, though: The adventure movie format doesn't lend as well to the ponies' personalities coming through as much as in the TV series, where each character is much more fleshed out. Twilight and Pinkie Pie are given the most attention in the film; Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Rarity do showcase their basic traits but there are episodes of the show that delve deeper into their personalities than this movie did. So total newcomers might not get into the ponies as much as those already familiar with the series will.

Also, the main villain (the Storm King) isn't very interesting- he's the generic "take over the world 'cause I'm evil" guy. His second-in-command Tempest Shadow is more interesting than Storm King is, which is good considering what goes down in the climax. No, I won't give it away. I just wish BOTH villains were complex.

Side note: Unfortunately, I missed the "Hanazuki" short that preceded the film. The theater I went to had incredibly long lines because they were understaffed and had to sell tickets at the concession stand. I hate when they do that, because then everyone who gets a ticket ALSO has to get a snack, slowing things down horribly. I stood in line for almost 15 minutes, and got into the theater just as the short ended. Grrrr. Will it at least be included on the home video release?

Side note 2: Another unfortunate note: My showing only had about ten people in it. Hopefully my experience is an outlier.

• Like Like x 1
    #1 SB20xx, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  2. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

Just got back from the 930 showing. I figured there wouldn't be as many people because it is a school night, the parents have work, and most people probably went to the earlier 7 pm showing.

So how was it? It's been a while since I've seen 2D animation on the big screen, and it was well worth it just to see this quality. The animation is fluid, detailed, shaded, and intense. It's an artists dream, providing a eyeful of beauty and wonder in every moment.

It also a stark contrast to the sterility of 3D animation they have these days. In fact, most of the trailers shown were for 3D movies all feeling the same clean style that lacks an artistic touch. No details, no personality within the actual medium of the clearly computer generated imagery.

Not so with the MLP movie, were it feels like an artistic work, pushing the limits of the flat surface to create a universe. It hardens back when cartoon movies were works of art.

As for the story, well its ok. It's the archetypical Adventure quest, where the heroes must return the world to normal. On the way, they are changed by the experience, well at least some do. Nothing new, though still better written and serious than what one expects for a kids movie these days. Alas, it's not quite to the standard of movies like An American Tail or The Secrect of NIMH. The main heroes get to shine, but the new ones not as much. The bad guys are just bad for badness sake, save for Tempest.

Though I do appauld the pacing and compentency. The movie knows when to slow down and when to kick into warp speed. It never boring or feels dragged out, with each scene having a purpose. the movie is good.

And there were times that the movie did get me tapping with the music, feeling the sadness of our heroines, and being shocked at times. For one, I never expected to see someone setting the bad guys on fire in this o_o. But the movie needed more story refinement, to take a risk, something to tap that potential.

Still, the technical quality of the movie, and the excellent voice acting and music make it an entertaining movie to see. On a scale of Movies based on tv shows, I'd rate this a Star Trek First Contact - better than Star Trek Generations but not quite The Voyage Home.

And it's certainly waaaaaay better than the original My Little Pony movie.

3. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Well the Hanazuki short is good, but not nearly as interesting as the show, maybe because it is stand alone, and Hanazuki is the only character in it that human language lines. So you can guess what characters were not in it.

As for the movie, it was good. I have seen episodes of the show better than the movie, and I seen episodes of the show that are worse than the movie.

I love Princess Skystar, if any character from the movie I want to comeback on the show it is Princess Skystar. Not saying I wouldn't mind seeing Tempest Shadow, Capper, and Captain Celeano again.

The big problem I have is Twilight stealing is very out of character, even more so is her decisive her friends, Twilight would at least be upfront and tell them "I have a plan, I need a destruction" and she was very condescending to Pinkie.

I thought Tempset Shadow backstory was very simple, maybe too simple, I expected more, and the Storm King was not at all what I expected when I read the prequel comics. I don't mind if he is one dimensional, but why try to make him funny, I wanted him to be a total serious villain like Tirac in G1. They are very few Bill Cipers in the world that can be both menacing and funny.

Anyway good movie, it wasn't perfect, but good enough.

• Informative Informative x 1
    #3 zoombie, Oct 6, 2017
  4. PF9

PF9 Member

I'm going to see the movie next week.

I already have an idea for a sequel - make it an animated remake of 1978's Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. The main reason that movie failed IMO is because the actors were deprived of their ability to talk regularly, they could only sing. In the context of a Pony movie, it would be much different.

5. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

It will be.

Anyway, I loved it. I loved the animation, I thought the soundtrack was great, I really enjoyed the story, and I liked the new characters.
    Even as someone that likes the 80s movie, I definitely agree with that.

• Like Like x 1
    #5 PinkiePie97, Oct 6, 2017
  6. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Interesting, I had no idea Storm King was introduced in the comics. I should really get around to reading those.

7. Gatomon41

Alas, the Storm King was disappointing for a villain, though I did chuckle That he was thinking like a corporate toy executive. He needed more menace to make that silly side stand out.

8. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

I heard the MLP movie was number 2 at the box office and I've heard they're doing fine at the box office. I don't know if this will make Disney change their mind about 2d animation, but it's a start.

9. Gatomon41

Brad Jones didn't much like the movie, but considering his taste it's no surprise.

10. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

Well, now I have a new favorite movie of the year. It's awesome!

11. Media Man

Media Man Member

I saw it this evening. Unfortunately the movie bombed- it only made 8.8 million at the box office this weekend (Like Nut Job 2 back in August.)

Its box office performance was so bad, I wondered if it was a bright idea to make MLP film with the television series still in production. Maybe more film goers would have attended if the tv series had recently concluded.

The movie's plot was only ok. I think one of the problems was that the cast was too large so the new characters with the exception of Tempest (I loved her) didn't have enough character development or screen time. I wanted to know more about the swashbuckling cat and the female pirate (Not so much her crew.)

The main villain (storm king) was two dimensional. I would have loved to have seen more of a backstory on him as well.

Having said all that, this film was better than the previous MLP movie which I saw back in 1986. Man, I feel old.

12. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Cartoon Brew has a good analysis of why its opening weekend take isn't as bad as it sounds.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Part of me doubts it was really worth that little, since I can't remember the last time any theatrical animated film had a budget that low (to say nothing about how good the actual animation was). But at the same time, apart from getting Sia on board, nothing about the film really looked particularly expensive.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to really express my full thoughts on the film. I know what they are, having seen it twice and talking about it with others in much more fragmented terms, but I don't want to end up droning on. For now, I'll say that the film is a solid 8.5/10 for me.

14. Toon4Thought

15. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Saw it today with my niece and sister.

It was really nice. The songs were catchy, the story was serviceable. The Storm King was dull as a villain, all of his best lines were in t get trailer. Not a good blend of goofiness and menacing. Tempest Shadow was good though, as well as her song Open Your Eyes.

The animation was really good. Some shots were clearly frame by frame while most was done with rigs. I could be biased, but it still looked great. It looked better than the 2D animation in The Spongebob Movie. From an animation standpoint, future movies based on shows need to get on this movie's level. The CG blend was seamless too.

The Hanazuki short was alright. Didn't wow me. But then again, neither did the show. Due to how poorly MLP movie did, I think Hanazuki and other animated movies (outside of Transformers) from Hasbro, aren't gonna get made.
    Speaking of movie performance, or more specifically it's budget, Cartoon Brew is way off, not only were they not right about the budget, the movie wasn't even fully done in house, some of the animation was done by Top Draw in the Philippines (like in the show) and some studio called Poteng Cartoon, in...Asia somewhere.

But yeah, as a person who's not as in to the show as others, I thought it was good! Can't wait to see it again on Netflix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

You mean Feitong Cartoon. It's in China. They've worked on Kid vs. Kat and Being Ian.

There was also some animation by Copa Studio in Brazil.

17. Toon4Thought

After seeing the film a little over a week ago, and then again on Sunday, I think I've had enough time to gather my thoughts and sum up my thoughts on the movie here. I'll try not to get too rambly, as I don't like making my posts a chore to read.

So, when you look at the story it probably doesn't sound like much, in fact it sounds rather standard. And for the most part, this is indeed true. However, there's something refreshing about how they keep things simple and doesn't try to overcomplicate itself, given how most other kids films these days work. It's just a straightforward adventure, and for what it's worth it's a pretty dang charming one at that. Nothing will likely catch you by surprise, but because of how it's presented they did succeed in keeping me engaged regardless.

Speaking of presentation, that is one thing the movie really knows how to nail. The animation is really fluid, colorful, and so much more alive than the show could ever get (especially in the backgrounds, as CG-heavy as they may be), the pacing isn't afraid to slow down during the emotional scenes only to kick back into high gear when the action returns, and even the orchestration is really well executed. The show almost always has a constant soundtrack, but here there are scenes where it fittingly drops out entirely then immediately after bursts right back up. It really fits the cinematic experience. The songs weren't quite the best MLP has spawned, but they were still at least catchy and carried the plot well, my favorite being "Open Up Your Eyes".

The characters are more a mixed bag. Some are used unbelievably well in at least one regard (Twilight, Pinkie, Tempest), others still bring a good amount of charm (Grubber, Princess Skystar), but there's still a handful that feel a little underexplored (The Storm King, Queen Novo). They're by no means bad characters, even in execution, but I feel they don't appear quite enough for their role to come off as strong as the crew probably hoped. Special mention goes to Capper; as odd as it was to see an anthro cat alongside the ponies throughout, he's probably the most fully realized of the new characters.

There were a number of things in this film that mildly disappointed me that kept it from being masterful, however. For one, the film doesn't start on a very strong note and thus doesn't quite introduce Twilight's friends to newcomers as fluidly as I would've wanted. Much of the new characters also don't get an explanation for what happens to them afterward, which weakens their role IMO. Also, Applejack and Fluttershy really should've had more of a role to do; as is, they don't even get that many humorous moments to themselves, probably because they aren't as marketable.

But despite the problems and the fact it unfortunately will be unlikely to appeal to non-fans (I was really hoping it would, but what can you do), I think this film is a solid 8.5/10 and I think even people not familiar with the show will find at least a couple things to like.

18. PF9

PF9 Member

I saw it yesterday and LOVED IT!.

There were quite a lot of characters that resembled typical Disney characters in design.

Who likes my sequel idea of adapting Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?

19. Gatomon41

Saw it again in theaters, and I probably enjoyed it more. It may have to do more that I wasn't stresssed out from the move to a new city.

A few notes:
    - The Storm King is subtly menacing. Sure he seems like a charicture of the Hasbro executives who probably meddled in this production.

But the Storm Guard managed to take Canterlot using surprise, was able to send in a large number of units, and his forces are well equipped. Their shields and tech can deflect Twilight's Alicorn magic. This displays that the Storm King is a logistical master, able to use quality and resources effectively.

- Some may think Twiight is acting out of character by using her friends and stealing the pearl. But we have to consider that for the past few days she's been chased and under constant threat of being harmed. And her friends not being as cautious as they should be is not helping.

Usually when people are under constant threat of violence and on the run, they tend to get addled. Twi's not thinking straight, and more so that their last hope was gone.

- When we see the landscape around Canterlot, we see a town some ways away with smoke rising. I wonder how far and wide the invasion is occurring? Are Storm Guard forces also attacking major cities or even the Crystal Empire?

- Spike setting Storm Guards on fire. And not just a little, he engulfs some of them totally in flames! Never thought I see this in a MLP movie o_o

20. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

After the movie's second weekend, it dropped from 4th. place to 9th. place.