1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Season 7 Talkback

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by zoombie, Apr 15, 2017.

1. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

To Change A Changeling

Starlight Glimmer and Trixie try to get Thorax's brother Pharynx to accept the new way by sharing love and transforming so he doesn't undermine Thorax's leadership, and that the hive will ultimately accept him.

Discuss

2. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

This is definitely my favorite episode of season 7B so far. A large part of that is how it stars Starlight and Trixie, which is a dynamic I've come to love. It's the kind of unique back and forth we didn't have on the show prior to season 6, and this distinction also helps make this episode stand out from the majority of the ones featuring the Mane 6 (nothing against them, it's just they have 7 seasons under their belt, Starlight doesn't). It helps that Trixie is at her absolute best here in terms of humor. It's a real shame we didn't get more of them in season 6.

Both heroes to watch on multiple fronts, Starlight takes up a really good leadership role (showing how far she's come from season 5), and all of the other characters' motivations make sense. They give much more personality to the other Changelings, which is really nice to see, and the plot flows in a way that's both easy to follow but constantly stays intriguing. Not to mention Thorax's position is surprisingly relatable given the circumstances, especially after the events of "Triple Threat". And in the end, a realization is made that sometimes appreciating someone for who they are, brute force and all, can be what leaves everyone satisfied at the end. It's all what I really like to see in this show, making this ep a truly great one in my book.

3. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

I liked this episode. I liked Starlight and Trixie in this episode, I had fun seeing the maulwurf beat itself up, and I'm glad they were able to help Pharynx.

4. zoombie

This was a great episode I loved it. Starlight and Trixie episodes are always fun. Trixie is hilarious, she is the protagonist I didn't know I wanted. She is a snarky character we don't have in the mane 6. And Starlight plays great off her. Discord can also play that role but more over the top, Trixie does it more shuttle in small doses way which I enjoy.

Anyway female Changelings exist confirmed I always assumed the whole swarm were male. We is nice to see more of the personality of the now reformed Changelings. And Thorax's brother reminded me of Wolverine or Ralphel, anyone else get those vibes.

Anyway great episode I really enjoyed it, I wonder what the future of the Changelings will be and hopefully more Starlight / Trixie episodes.

#144 zoombie, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  5. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

I would love to see less of that and more Trixie episodes without Starlight.

6. Toon4Thought

Because "To Change a Changeling" aired out of order, "Daring Done" appeared for purchase on YouTube despite the labeling saying otherwise.

7. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Probably expect "A Health of Information" to be on sale next week, based on this situation.

8. Toon4Thought

Actually, I get the feeling they are going to correct this within a day or two from now.

9. bwrosas

bwrosas Member

When one looks at it, the staff was not only pointing out the complaints and criticisms we as fans have had over the seasons. But through the "We're Not Flawless" song, basically told us that not everything they've showcased in the past and will showcase in the future is going to be perfect or exactly what you (as fans) want.

And the ending where AppleJack asked about the ponies (representation of the fanbase) outside the castle, and Twlight's response was that they can wait, I look at as the writing staff telling us, that the answers to the questions we seek will come, but we have to wait and be patient.

Another thing I sense with this episode (based on what others , like Silver Quill and Dr. Wolfe had to say), is that the writing staff was kinda telling us that if want answers to these questions/criticisms/complaints, that perhaps we should try to do it ourselves. Because it seems that they're telling us at the end of the episode, that yes we will possibly get the answers to our questions, but that the door is opened for us to try and answer these questions through our own interpretation.

Now did they have to have Starlight say the line that she did, about it not being the Mane 6's fault, but everypony else's for focusing on the wrong things. In a way no. But it was done, because the writing staff was reminding us, especially at the end when Starlight brought the two foils from earlier, what the core/heart of the show and lessons were really about and who (originally) the target audience it was aimed towards.

However, like SQ said in his video, it doesn't mean the writing staff (through the characters) wants to incorporate these lessons and morals into trying to make our everyday lives better, because they probably do, but at the end of all this, to remember what the show and the lessons were/are really about and who (originally) they were really meant for.

Not saying we can't enjoy MLP : FIM for what it is , that being a good overall story/series (comic books, TV) or the upcoming movie. Because we can and should. But as the writing staff (as meta as it was) reminded us at the of this episode , that through our enjoyment, to remember what the show originally was meant as and who it originally was meant for.

Have A Blessed Day-bwrosas

10. zoombie

Daring Done

When Rainbow Dash's favorite author, A.K. Yearling, announces her retirement, Dash convinces Pinkie Pie to go on a quest to find out if the book on Daring Do really will be closed forever.

Discuss

11. zoombie

Well I am anti Daring Do being real in this universe, I would prefer if she was just a fictional in the MLP world, but that is the past nothing we can do about that. But this has to be a favorite Daring Do episode, I loved it.

It was obvious the hooded guy was Daring Do arch foe, no one can see that, just no one can see A.K. Yearling is Daring Do, so it evens out. I loved the cranking merchant, he is the cabbage merchant of this show. We also learned some more pony legend stories, so I am cool with that, two episodes in a row.

But a good lesson for Daring Do to clean up after her messes and the town ponies to appreciate Daring Do, so win win.

12. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Premise wise, there's a couple things that could make Daring Done interesting. The first is the reason for A. K. Yearling wanting to retire, as we do get a deconstruction of typical adventure stories and how these quests could result in property damage. Also, as some people have expected, the episode does continue one of the season's main theme of "Legends of Magic" with the tale of Somnambula, with the episode using Egyptian style art to tell the story.

Unfortunately, what ends up bring the episode down is the writer not thinking that kids would truly understand the gray area concept of people being upset at the property damage that Daring Do causes in her quests and thus included the idea of Dr. Cabelleron using this as a means to frame Daring Do for his latest scheme. Between the idea of him being the cloaked pony that swaying the village ponies against her being WAY too obvious (seriously, this doesn't need to be saved up for the third act) and Rainbow Dash getting captured by him too easily, this ends up ruining the episode IMO (as well as deterring from what should be the main theme of the episode). Personally, I wonder if the episode would have worked better if we didn't have that element and instead focus more on Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash learning about some of the mess that happen during Daring Do's last adventure (including the importance of the statue of Somnambula), with the second act ending with another major threat arriving in the village of Somnambula, leading to Daring Do coming out of retirement to save the day and the townsponies realizing that while some damage does happen, it's more the result of her saving the day and preventing even bigger destruction (while keeping the idea that Daring Do is capable of paying for the damage that she caused).

13. Sailor Sedna

Sailor Sedna New Member

I didn't bother with either episode, to me, there was no reason why all of the Changelings had to be redeemed after their depiction in the show/comics and what we saw of them. Plus, I've seen them be compared to the Care Bears and from what I can tell, they don't have any of the charm, competence and cuddly lovable characterizations of the 80's Care Bears and the 80's Cousins.

14. ShadowBeast

Daring done?: I liked this one. It was kind of strange of Pinkie being the voice of reason during a big chunk of the episode when it felt like something that Twilight would fit in for. But Pinkie Pie was very suited for the leap of faith part and her supposed resemblance to Somnambula in personality like the other legends with the other Mane 6. I knew it was Caballeron who was behind the rumors, but his scheme wasn't the big point of the episode and was more about hope, fixing past mistakes and being careful in the future, and introducing Somnambula to the show. The Sphinx's curse towards Pegasi was a very intriguing and really forces characters like Daring Do not to give up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Both The Perfect Pear, Fame and Misfortune, To Change a Changeling, and Daring Done? were pretty sweet/enjoyable,

Granny Smith's hatred of pears and the feud between the Apple and Pear families was interesting.
    Applejack, Apple Bloom, and Big McIntosh hearing the Apple vs. Pear families' stories from other ponies was great.
    Goldie Delicious, awesome new minor female character.
    Cool seeing Applejack's awesome pony parents Pear Butter and Bright Mac, on how they first meet and became a sweet cute couple:D.
    Pear Butter/Bright Mac's wedding when they get married was sweet.
    Grand Pear the next Worst Pony turns good and bees a better likable pony was great.

Toola Roola and Coconut Cream were great cute minor female characters:D.
    Twilight making friendship journals for the pony people on good friendship lessons was great.
    A nice reference on the crazy fandom.
    Rarity/Pinkie's moments were pretty funny.
    Ugh, the Ponyville pony people suck, are trash, and need to get punched:mad:, poor Mane 6.
    Nice great song.
    Nice of Starlight bring Toola Roola/Coconut Cream which they were the best of learning about friendship for Twilight.

Pharynx, my favorite new horrible minor villain, Thorax having a brother was interesting.
    Cool seeing Thorax and the Changelings.
    Starlight/Trixie helping Thorax to make Pharynx change was great.
    Starlight/Trixie's chemistry dynamic was sweet/enjoyable:D.
    More of the Changelings' characters/personalities was great.
    The maulwurf was a cool bear-mole monster, the battle with it was great/funny.
    Pharynx reforming for Thorax/The Changelings was great:).

Rainbow Dash/Pinkie Pie's major focus was great.
    Cool seeing A.K./Daring Do.
    Pinkie being the voice of reason was great.
    Rainbow/Pinkie wanting to help A.K./Daring Do get her reputation back was great.
    Dr. Caballeron, my favorite great new minor villain, his evil plan to destroy her reputation was brilliant.
    Rainbow, Pinkie, and Daring Do defeating Dr. Caballeron to save her reputation was sweet.
    Nice that the pony people now love/respect Daring Do, thanks to Rainbow/Pinkie.

#155 Radical, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  16. PinkiePie97

[​IMG]
    It Isn't the Mane Thing About You
    Airs September 16, 2017 at 11:30 A.M. on Discovery Family
    When Rarity’s shampoo is accidentally switched with Zecora’s magical remover potion, she does everything she can to fix her devastated mane in time for an upcoming photo shoot.​

#156 PinkiePie97, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  17. zoombie

Sorry I didn't do the talkback I was really sick last night, I thought I did, anyway thank you PinkiePie97 for filling in.

My thoughts on this episode, it was an all right episode. The Rarity spotlight are always entertaining. Rarity drama queen act get a little old sometimes yes, but that is what makes Rarity Rarity.

Well this episode that legendary pony Rarity was talking about a couple episodes ago, you think Rarity would have learned from that story. Oh well, still good to see Zecora. And Photo Finish you are a genius.

And I love Rarity new mane. Really cool.

• Like Like x 1
  18. PinkiePie97

Glad I could help. Hope you're feeling better.

19. ShadowBeast

It Isn't the Mane Thing About You: A very good episode. I loved the moral and how Rarity was able to adapt her look after realizing moping wasn't doing her any good. Zecora's scenes were some of her best as well. Though you'd think they would've tried for a wig that looked like Rarity's or a hair growth potion/spell? But that wouldn't help with the moral. Photo Finish hiding in the bushes was funny as well as Pinkie's comment about Rarity's new-do. Shame that Diamond Tiara won't be getting any lines like last season.

20. zoombie

A Health Of Information

While helping Fluttershy gather supplies, Zecora comes down with a terrible disease called Swamp Fever; even though a cure has not been discovered, Fluttershy makes it her mission to heal Zecora no matter what it takes.

Discuss