1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Season 7 Talkback

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by zoombie, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Sailor Sedna

Sailor Sedna New Member

Season 7 has just been lacking for me, even with certain things like with AJ's parents, and I partially have the feeling that the new writers are only there for the paycheck instead of the pleasure of writing stories for kids and families with good characters and such. Something isn't clicking with me in these newer seasons, maybe my expectations after season 4 were too high, the show should have ended at season 4 I say.

In fact, the only Mane Six ponies I feel are still like themselves are the ones Andrea Libman voices.

2. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

This season hasn't been my favorite either, but I'm sure they enjoy working on the show. Just because they don't live up to expectations doesn't mean they don't like doing it.

3. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

What I find interesting is that MA Larson's name is attached to this one, indicating this as an old script that was delayed for two seasons before being finally dusted off and put to use.

But with that in mind, that means Starlight Glimmer's role here must not have been in his version, since Larson left before her reformation took place. It makes me wonder how much of this ep actually was his work and how much was changed. He did, after all, say at one point that season 7 has an ep with his name on it that he didn't fully work on, much like what happened with "Magical Mystery Cure", with this presumably being that ep.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

I don't even know what to think about this episode. There is so much I really like, but there's just as much that bothers me to extents that very few other eps have matched.

I think my main problem is that the tone, at least the way I see it, seems to almost directly go against the charm of the show. For the most part, the entire town seems very unusually bitter and mean, and it's so phenomenally jarring that it's quite honestly uncomfortable. The jabs at obsessed parts of the fandom don't annoy me at all, since it's clear they are referring specifically to those that go just as over the top, but their attitudes in general do annoy me as a viewer.

In fact, a lot of this ep is a pretty dang big downer. Note that they don't take the "build up transition" route they usually use with these kinds of stories; here, Twilight thinking publishing the journal is a good idea is pretty much immediately shot down, with them getting out of hoof extremely early on. So, the majority of this ep is basically just seeing the Mane 6 get unfairly attacked or harassed. Sure, we find out at the end that the two fillies that were fighting at the beginning benefited from their copies of the journal, and to be fair it definitely succeeds at ending the ep on a relatively sweet note, but it just isn't enough to offset the rest for me.

Now, with all that in mind, there's also a lot to like. The song itself was nice, catchy, and even fairly clever, and it helps that it pretty much added a lot of MLP charm in a section that had very, very little of that - which makes it bar none the highlight of the episode. I also really like Starlight's role in this, with her providing some good support for Twilight and getting a lot of the episode's better lines (even if a lot of her lines sound eerily like things Spike would say; in fact, considering MA Larson's name is on this, some people - myself included - get the impression this role was originally meant for Spike). Some of the Mane 6's freakouts, especially Rarity's, were pretty entertaining too - even if their inceptions were, as I said, a little too much for my tastes.

Even the idea of Twilight making the friendship lessons public sounds like a really neat, interesting, and promising concept. It's just that it was pushed too extreme too quickly IMO, which severely harms the episode for me. It's hard to tell just how different MA Larson's original vision would have been, but looking at the final product I can very much see why he wasn't very happy with how this idea turned out, since this was honestly much more pessimistic than even his more dramatic and dark entries in the series. And, unfortunately, this persists throughout so much of the episode I just can't look past it. The good stuff we did that does make me really want to like the entire episode, but I just don't think it's worth sitting through all of the mean-spirited stuff. Can't fault them for trying, though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #124 Toon4Thought, Aug 12, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  5. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

With me being busy at Otakon this weekend, I haven't seen the episode. However, upon seeing the episode summary and some commercial footage of it, I definitely sensed some bad vibes coming out of the episode, and while the cause of the vibes were different that what I was expecting (i.e. part of me thought that this was going to be a clip show), after reading about the episode's plot, it was probably a good thing I was busy at the con this weekend.

This is definitely one of those episodes where the focus is more towards writing something for the older viewers (in this case, a spoof of the show's fandom) rather than telling a good story that would appeal to people of all ages, with things getting even worse by focusing on the more negative aspects of the fandom in terms of criticisms (i.e. wishing a character wasn't involved in the show; thinking that Fluttershy is basically relearning the same lesson over and over).

6. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Triple Threat

Spike mistakenly invites both Thorax and Ember to Ponyville on the same day.

Discuss

7. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Crystal Map: Oh no you don't Spike. You have to make the dragons, friends with the Changelings.

• Like Like x 2
  8. PinkiePie97

I liked this episode. I had fun seeing what Spike did to avoid Ember and Thorax from meeting each other while he tried to figure out what his friendship problem is (which actually had me surprised because I thought it just went by cutie marks), and I liked that Ember and Thorax sorted things out.

9. ShadowBeast

Triple Threat: Spike having to keep Ember and Thorax separate was just awkward. I just want to scream at Spike to just tell the truth. Otherwise, not a bad episode. Ember proves how much of a copy Starlight is of Twilight with the same coloration, the similar name, the over-reactions. This is what happens when you have Twilight's first be a mary-sue-like copy of her. At least Sunset Shimmer is more original.
    Ember eating the walls was funny. And while Spike was overreacting, he did have a small amount of good reason to worry since the last royalty that came to Ponyville declared war. I knew the Map was referring to Ember and Thorax, and it's sad how Spike wasn't the first of the non-mane six to get his own friendship mission. I did like how Ember and Thorax fixed each other's problems by themselves.

10. zoombie

When I heard the plot for this episode I hated it, I thought it was going to be terrible, because it is unnecessary drama, this episode I dreaded seeing. But it was better than I thought it would be. It helps it is self aware, Spike was acting like an idiot for no good reason, and the episode did call him out on it and Starlight is right on the money, Spike has learned some of Twilight's bad traits, because this is something Twilight would have done, at least the old Twilight.

Also some of the racial under tone jokes like Ember saying Twilight and Starlight look the same, Ember saying "only I can say that". I never thought this show would some racial undertone jokes, that is something expect from Steven Universe or Star vs the Forces of Evil, not My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.

And message was spot on, think of what can go right and believe in your friends and not assume the worse. Ember and Thorax they seemed like cool people, no reason for Spike to be afraid, but that was the lesson. Even Ember and Thorax got to bound a bit and we are building our alliance, but against what?

So this episode like the lesson is better than I thought going in.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

In Ember's defense, Starlight is pretty much a Twilight clone to begin with. :p

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. ShadowBeast

Ember would've had an even harder time if Starlight had kept her old mane-style.

13. zoombie

Campfire Tales

Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash tell their favorite folktales to the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

Discuss

14. ShadowBeast

Looks like Scootaloo is the new Fluttershy.
    I'm loving the stories though.

15. PinkiePie97

I liked this episode. I enjoyed the stories and I'm glad the CMC enjoyed the trip in the end.
    Although she was afraid on the last camping trip, too.

16. ShadowBeast

But that was after Rainbow Dash's stories. And part of her worries was admitting that she was scared in front of Rainbow Dash and disappointing her. Here she was afraid of even outside during the daytime.

17. PinkiePie97

She probably hasn't forgotten about Rainbow Dash's stories and disappointing Rainbow Dash wasn't all she was worried about, although I must've overlooked the part where she was afraid outside during the day, so I'll give you that.

18. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Yeah, the episode does have a mixed bag feel to it.

Wraparound wise, the whole "flyder invasion" aspect is completely unnecessary (seriously, the episode is perfectly fine with the "big sister" ponies telling these tales to the the CMC around a campfire without anything being added for the sake of "drama"), with the scaredy-cat Scootaloo aspect definitely not doing anything positive to her character. However, the stories themselves provide some great mythology to the world of Equestria and are a nice little origin tale to the characters featured in the Legends of Magic comic series.

BTW, if commercials are any indication,

19. ShadowBeast

Her fears didn't feel like they were about Rainbow Dash's stories. Otherwise she would've mentioned the creatures from those stories, and yes she wasn't worried about disappointing about Rainbow Dash in this one since she openly expressed how afraid she is. Episode was still good.

Scootaloo's cowardice was the only weak part of the episode. I still find it a great episode. Infact, one of the best episodes of the season with it giving us info of legendary figures of Equestria's past.

The Flyer Invasion was probably an excuse to force the ponies to discover that secret short-cut, which wouldn't have happened without a reason for them to explore the cave.

20. zoombie

So The Legends Of Magic that is canon, okay that is interesting. Well they straight up adapt any of the stories, so that was surprise.

Yes Scootaloo still is afraid of caves and what is wrong with that. It is not a crime to be afraid of stuff, and the message is it is okay to be scared which I think is a good message.

Of the three stories which was my favorite, I don't really know, they all were kind of flat because there was a time limit, it would have helped if each story got its own episode, still it is not bad.

I wonder if they will ever adapt any of the comics stories.