My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Season 7 Talkback

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by zoombie, Apr 15, 2017.

1. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Well what a finale, Starswirl, the legendary ponies, they are back. With all the focus on these legendary pony throughout the season, it made sense we were building towards this.

Obviously Twilight should think before she does something like this, surely there must have been a good reason why they trapped themselves in limbo, maybe leave will enough alone.

Though out these two episodes, I was on Starlight's side, and questioning Twilight's judgment.

Still finding the pillars parts were cool, only Pinkie Pie can find a pillar like that, and everyone helping these locations were the pillars parts were nice.

And once we got them back, I love seeing the mane 6 and the pillars interact. Rainbow Dash and Magnus are best friends already.

So end in the day, this was all over a lack of communication between Stygian and the pillars. Also Starswirl is not what imagine it to be, I guess we needed some retcons here.

Also cool to the Dazzlings again, though it does retcon a comic book story.

I wonder what will happen next, giving the lesson here of talking and forgiving over just vanishing your enemies, I wonder what the future holds, Starlight has one enemy that hates her, can she put her money her mouth is and redeem her, we will see. Not to mention hopefully the Dazzlings is not done, this will lead to their redemption. So many possibilities, can't wait for season 8.

2. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

I had no idea what to expect before watching it, but I was surprised by just how much I enjoyed it, especially given Haber both wrote and edited it on his own (with Nicole Dubec helping in part 1). And after watching it twice, I think I have nailed exactly what pulled it together - the tone and pacing

Everything about this two-parter really sells the idea of this being an epic adventure. It is EXTREMELY lore-heavy on all sides, adding an inherent layer of intrigue that is only made stronger by all the emphasis on ancient magical curiosities. There's a huge variety of locations explored too, making it even more visually interesting.

And what only makes this episode even more interesting is just how much is accomplished in just a 44 minute runtime. Every scene, there's something new going on, but it never gets to a point where it feels overwhelming or rushed. The story hits a very amazing balanced between being complex but still easy to understand.

The characters all shine really well, too. Each of the Mane 6 get a lot of great moments and have a fair amount to contribute to the story, from gathering the artifacts to calling out Starswirl when he belittles Twilight. The Pillars are also welcome additions, especially after the looks we got in them earlier this half-season. Even Starlight Glimmer manages to get a very meaningful role in; while I would've preferred she was in a little less of the episode, it makes perfect sense that she would know about the power of empathizing with your enemies. Not to mention she's probably the best character to give this role on the grounds that she doesn't have a particular pillar idol like the others.

This was just a really engaging and fun-filled ride altogether, and a great way to end season 7. The only issue I have is that the final note isn't a particularly great one; it just sort of fades out with no musical number or epic final shot or anything. Doesn't feel very ceremonious, especially given the rest of the episode. But overall, this is definitely my second favorite episode of season 7, only behind "The Perfect Pear".

And if this is the level we can expect from Haber from here on out, I am totally in favor of him editing for the show once more.

3. PF9

PF9 Member

Just finished watching Uncommon Bond. We now have a secondary group of friends consisting of Starlight Glimmer, Trixie, Maud Pie, and Sunburst. We just need to add two more to this group (preferably some pegasi, maybe some of RD's fellow Wonderbolts?) and we have enough main characters for a spin-off.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Shadow Play was pretty sweet/enjoyable 2-parter,

Nice seeing Princess Celestia/Princess Luna.
    Twilight such a fangirl for Star Swirl like Rainbow Dash for Daring Do was so funny, hahahahahaha.
    Both Spike/Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Rarity, and Fluttershy's moments finding the artifacts was great.
    Starlight is so right as much as something bad is gonna happen.
    Love the teenage dragon bullies, they have no heart, still rotten/nasty, but love seeing Garble lose, hehehe:p.
    Nice seeing Cattail.
    The Mane 6 bringing back the Pillars was great, but poor Twilight.
    The Pillars, awesome interesting new pony hero characters.
    The Pony of Shadows, my favorite awesome new pony villain:D.

Star Swirl the next unlikable Worst Pony after Rumble who needs to get punched:mad:.
    Pinkie's previous callbacks on defeating evil villains while saving Equestria was great/funny.
    The Mane 6/other Pillars' chemistry was great, but both Rainbow/Magnus's friendship was great:D.
    Twilight's pony friends defending Twilight fighting back at Star Swirl was sweet.
    Starlight's major meaningful role was pretty awesome, Starlight the best:D.
    Cool seeing the Dazzlings: Adagio, Sonata, and Aria.
    Stygian, a great new pony character, his non-betrayal reason was great, poor Stygian.
    Twilight/Starlight saving Stygian while defeating the Pony of Shadows was great.
    Star Swirl developing being a better nicer pony like Daring Do/Moon Dancer was great.
    Stygian now joining the Pillars was great, the Mane 6 now have great new allies now.

#184 Radical, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  5. Rainbow Dash Fan

I watched a bit of the finale and now they are flat out saying that no one is beyond redemption and everyone has good in them. that is a dishonest and even dangerous message to send. lots of atrocities in history happened at least partly because no one on the outside believed anyone could be that monstrous.

and it's hypocritical. how come nopony thinks about the morality of sending Tirek back to Tartarus or turning the Storm King into stone and then shattering.

and this thing is done better in the Lion Guard. witch keep in mind is targeted at an even younger audience then MLP and shares a lot of the life lessons and friendship theme. in the episode that had the villains from Simba's Pride, Kion came to the conclusion that Zira was beyond redemption and made it pretty clear that if she showed her face again, Kion would KILL her.

6. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

This has been an interesting season. We get to see Rainbow Dash's parents, we get see flashbacks of Applejack's parents, and Big Macintosh found his real love interest. I think Hard To Sa Anything is my favorite episode this season. Because Big Mac is my favorite. He's so cute and cuddly. And also, they made references from Beauty and the Beast. Like the Bimbettes from that movie. But I truly despise the Justin Bieber like pony.