1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Season 7 Talkback

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by zoombie, Apr 15, 2017.

1. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Okay so after a little recess it is time for the season 7 premiere of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, and as usually we began with two episodes to kick off the new season.

Celestial Advice

In the seventh-season opener, Starlight Glimmer's future causes agony for Twilight Sparkle, who then gets some helpful advice from her own mentor, Princess Celestia.

All Bottled Up

Starlight Glimmer and Trixie lose Twilight's friendship map and fear Twilight's reaction to this news, so Starlight does a spell to contain Twilight's anger while they search for it.

Discuss

2. Media Man

Media Man Member

I hope it is a good season. However, I think they series peaked during season 4. The quality of the stories has gone down in season 5 and 6.

3. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

I didn't expect the spell Starlight and Sunburst perform in the new season trailer to be a red herring to Twilight's over-exaggeration.

I'm loving All Bottled Up so far. Trixie is at her best here.

#3 ShadowBeast, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  4. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

Celestial Advice - I thought it was alright. I still think Starlight's progress is being rushed, though I'm glad there was a reason this time. I got a kick out of seeing Celestia laugh like that.

All Bottled Up - I liked this one better. I really liked Trixie in this episode, and I like how they joked about the song.

#4 PinkiePie97, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  5. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

"Celestial Advice" - You know it's nice to actually start off a season on a more subtle and less "OMG look at this new terror and danger coming around" note then we usually get and actually focus on a smaller problem. I do admit I wish this based on the title actually did have more Celestia in it. It's nice we actually do see the more worrying less perfect side of her though I wish they also dropped a few more hints tying back to why she sent Twilight to Ponyville in the first place. I appreciate the looks to the moon but mentioning Celestia worried Twilight could be seriously hurt or worse trying to do what she couldn't and save her sister because of her reaching a potential Celestia couldn't would of been nice but I am glad they actually did have that moment. And I do like the idea of Twilight worrying so much about what to do now that she thinks Starlight doesn't need her and contrary to what some people worried showing Starlight will still be around. I guess not for every episode but eh not even all of the Mane 6 are in every episode anyway so it works. And you know the friendlier environment of everyone just chilling and enjoying a party in the background were good as well.

Best jokes were Spike asking if Starlight was wearing anything, Spike calling Twilight "Sparkle", saying get a card because a mirror wouldn't say all she wanted to say, Discord appearing inside Trixie's ear, Twilight trying to get out of the conversation with Trixie, the various what if alternate realities Twilight thought up in the map room especially Spike pointing out how they wouldn't happen like Twilight and Ember acting majorly OOC off each other or Twilight just being able to teleport, Spike pointing out how worried Twilight can be and not being able to see Celestia's flashbacks and Pinkie pie cleaning up at the end. So though there really should of been more of the actual Celestia connection and honestly a bit too much of Discord trolling Twilight (which I still think is funny and in character but there needs to be a bit more balance of it then we got in this episode to really work) still a fine episode. Honestly a better season opener then 6 since actually felt like we were really progressing the characters and their relationships and not trying to rewrite their backstories or anything like that.

"All Bottled Up" - First off I'm glad this one unlike a couple of other episodes actually got the point of having a subplot is to help fill for a bit of time if the main plot doesn't have enough juice in it. Which some episodes like "Applejack's Day Off" really needed so actually seeing the group have that scavanger hunt was good especially the joke of them trying to beat Griffon's time and singing a song preventing them from getting the record and learning a lesson about it. But I think the main meat of this was actually really good. Since honestly Starlight having to bottle up her emotions and anxities actually makes sense for her character who usually is either putting on kind of a facade or honestly using her magic since yeah she tends to use magic a lot more then most any other character and her not wanting to blow up in front of Trixie is good. And honestly Trixie seemingly acting so uncaring and sly I actually found good because it's a part of her character as well and I appreciate her being called out for it and the lesson that sometimes you actually do need to hash things out and talk through things with friends even if it can be unpleasant. Since true friendships would be able to handle getting out your frustrations and anger which you know I don't think we've actually had that lesson specifically in this show so it's good to see. And there were good bits like Trixie being happy to finally do a spell on actual magic and not just illunsionary and making everything tea cups, the two laughing about Twilight and co busting into a song for no reason, Spike getting out of the way to not be teleported, Trixie talking about how she wanted apples or cinammon treats, "i didn't even know you had a backstory" "I barely even knew you", Bulk Biceps pointing out he has multiple job when he has to get to his spa job after his cart was fixed up, and the ending zinger that if they learned not to always use magic to solve a problem they wouldn't ever have fun. That felt like a good aside to swerve the lesson a bit but still have it hit. I do wish they didn't do so many "This is the worst thing ever" /"this is the best thing ever" transitions back to back that they did as that wasn't funny but honestly still really liked this one for the Trixie/Starlight friendship and the lesson it taught so yeah probably in a way more solid then the last episode even if the back and forth between the two plots could of been streamed better.

Still two honestly good episodes to start out this season which is good to see.

#5 Neo Ultra Mike, Apr 15, 2017
  6. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Even though MLP did do something different by not going the two-part route (which tend to be some of the weaker episodes of the season), the two-episode premiere is still "meh" at best, with my interest in Starlight still being "don't care about her, while I hate her overzealous fanboys".

To me, Celestial Advice was the better of the two in terms of my feelings for the episode. However, that episode is basically your typical "MLP transition" episode (in this case Starlight graduating from being Twilight student and hopefully being more involved in everyday life in Ponyville), and it's pretty much something that would easily be overshadowed by latter episodes this season.

Meanwhile, All Bottled Up is one of those "Everyone Else Likes It, But I Hate It" episode. The biggest problem can be summed up in one single word: Trixie. Sorry, but the way Trixie acts like a jerk up until the "bottled anger" is unleashed makes me continuing to wonder why some Bronies like her. One plus: unlike Dungeons and Discord, at least we do get to see what the Mane Six is doing while this crap is happening (although it feels like the song is only there to ensure they don't break the "Escape Room" record).

7. ShadowBeast

Celestial Advise: I'm so glad that we got so much from Princess Celestial in this episode. Her roles have always been so small. And we see that she had her own issues with sending Twilight away. We got some humor with episode. Like Luna trying to put the necklace on Thorax, Discord causing trouble for Twilight once again (I swear he enjoys her freak-outs like I and others do), and of course Twilight looking at worse case scenarios with sending Starlight away. The only downside is, I was hoping we wouldn't be seeing Starlight until the season finale with an expected appearance of Queen Chrysalis seeking revenge on her.

All Bottled Up: Despite Starlight still being in the show, I enjoyed this one a lot. Probably helped seeing Trixie annoy Starlight so much. It's great seeing Trixie get some help with her magic, even though she had used magic to appear up some flowers in her first episode, so a "disappear" spell should've been more known to her. I would like to see Trixie hang around with some of the other characters and not just with Starlight Glimmer all the time. Maybe have Twilight give her some pointers and see what trouble Trixie gives her. I found it hilarious with Bulk Biceps having multiple jobs. And how Trixie was giving him business with her bragging.

#7 ShadowBeast, Apr 15, 2017
  8. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Member

In All Bottled Up, it felt like Trixie was oblivious just for the sake of the episode.

9. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

That seems to be a problem with a number of MLP episodes recently: these episodes have to ramp up characters' negative traits big time (or revert them back to their pre-Season Three selves) for the sake of the episode's problem.

10. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Celestial Advice was pretty awesome/funny, I'll enjoy Season 7, an awesome start,

Spike's funny moment with Starlight and saying "Sparkle", so funny, hahahahahahaha.
    Cool seeing Princess Luna, Discord, Trixie, and Thorax/The Changelings, cool with the Changelings turning good, they got great new designs, but I'll enjoy Queen Chrysalis's return pretty soon:D.
    So loved Discord, Trixie, and Starlight's funny chemistry, but both Discord/Trixie have a lot in common with their funny arrogance messing with Twilight, hahahahaha, John de Lancie(Q.) was awesome/funny as Discord.
    Pinkie/Rarity's great funny scenes, hehehe.
    Discord trolling Twilight was funny, hahahahahaha.
    Poor Twilight worried about Starlight and her future was great, more development of the Twilight/Starlight relationship is always sweet.
    The worse case scenarios alternate realities of Starlight from Twilight were great/funny, cool seeing Lord Torch/Princess Ember and the way Starlight acts with Princess Ember was so hilarious, hahahahahahaha:p.
    Princess Celestia laughing was so funny.
    Princess Celestia first meeting Twilight to be her best pony student was great, her worrying side was funny, hehehe, nice to see a less perfect side of her:D.
    Starlight's graduation and her moment with Twilight when she's not her student was great, but Starlight's progress was rushed though.
    The funny ending with Pinkie cleaning up, hehehe.

#10 Radical, Apr 15, 2017
  11. ShadowBeast

The premieres are replaying today at 6:00. Very strange.

Also anybody else think it was cute when Trixie kept turning stuff into teacups?

Trixie wasn't acting like a jerk, she was just oblivious to Starlight's anger and problems which Starlight did keep to herself. Trixie isn't exactly an expert on friendship, and would probably benefit greatly from Twilight's lessons.

12. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

I loved that part.

13. ShadowBeast

She was like a filly excited with joy^^

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Still, the way Trixie acts throughout the episode is rather annoying to the point that I question what her fans even see in her in the first place.

15. zoombie

Celestia Advice

Nice to have a clam down season premiere for once. So this a epilogue to last season's finale I like that.

Again Discord he just loves messing with Twilight, sometimes if it is because deep down he cares like an annoying sibling, or is he just a jerk, maybe both, It is great to see another side of Celestia and more importantly for Twilight to see that side of her, which much needed. As soon as we saw the flashback of young Twilight and how she differs from present day Starlight, I knew where this was going. Also seeing in the moon in the flashback, that was a nice touch.

So Starlight is no longer Twilight student, they are just roommates, I wonder by season end will Starlight get her place. So Starlight stays, and an emotional end, that is a good way to start the season.

All Bottled Up

I thought this was the better of the two, I love Starlight and Trixie interaction, and Trixie she is adorable when she screws up. And we had a B plot with the mane 6, and they connected, which a lot of shows that do A and B plot, there plots don't connect.

Yes Trixie is a jerk, but doesn't make her a bad living being, they are some in the mane 6 that can be jerks sometimes coughRainbow Dashcough. In fact this plot could have easily worked with Twilight / Rarity and Rainbow Dash.

Seeing Starlight fume was hilarious, and the other ponies getting angry at Trixie and Trixie's reaction was priceless, Trixie saying she didn't know Granny Smith had a past, most of Granny Smith life is her past. Ha ha ha. And poor Spike caught in the middle of all this madness.

As for the other plot, loved the song and it cost them the record.

So all and all a good start to the season.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GuillermoGage

GuillermoGage New Member

I watched both those episodes! S7E1 and S7E2 were surprisingly funny. They were not a two-parter. That is different for an MLPFIM season premiere, but still okay.

There was a lot of dry humor in those episodes that seemed like the type of humor that writers of shorter humor fan comics of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic might come up with.

I was worried about how the plots would go for both of them, but they turned out to not be so bad.
    The ending of "Celestial Advice" seemed sort of rushed and some people, especially Starlight haters, might say that the ending was a cop-out.

Once I saw the title of the episode of S7E2 and especially as I saw the plot going , I was worried about it being some dumb generic plot mechanic, but actually, Starlight Glimmer's anger-magic might actually not just be some sudden weird ridiculous thing that we are being shown. Perhaps this is a legitimate thing that she has always had, and her character has never been depicted holding back on ever having to express any anger or grievances before.

I think that at some point when she was a filly, she was practicing powerful and ambitious magic, and somehow ended up casting a spell on herself that caused her to develop that physical, visible gas-smoke stuff whenever she had anything to be angry about, even the grievance slightest, and the larger the cloud got, the less control she would have over it drifting away and controlling other ponies.

It's basically a handicap, one that might give insight to the founding of the Our Town village, and how she operated. For example, maybe she was thoroughly unforgiving over there in order to never have to deal with that cloud-thing. For "humor's" sake Trixie and the others were always looking away when the cloud-smoke appeared but it was eventually shown to be visible in their world and not just a visual reference for the audience.

Perhaps it is literally invisible when it is sufficiently small, so perhaps for certain-sized grievances, she could magically transport it into a container when out and about in front of other ponies during her time at the village, immediately, and then unleash it later on village ponies.

One thing that I wonder, is if the angry cloud could touch the original pony and force them into expressing their anger. If that were the case, it might as well be the same thing as saying that there's literally a physical limit to how much someone can hold back on their anger or "control" their own anger, but in this weirdly specific physical format, and how would one even make measurements to something as subjective as emotions?

I was worried that the episode would just end in Starlight Glimmer getting very angry at Trixie herself and it being played off as Trixie getting too persecuted even for whatever bad things she had been doing.or the smoke-cloud somehow converting the "energy" of anger into a physical incendiary force of explosions or fire or whatever.

So it was pleasant when it turns out that all the scary smoke does when it touches someone is that it makes them express anger exactly as the original pony was feeling, nothing more, nothing less.

However, again, this magical phenomena is legit problematic for Starlight. Trixie is her friend and is willing to accept punishment from Starlight when she screws up, but if Starlight was in a situation where she was socially required to be lenient to very rude ponies (like rude but ultimately profitable customers at a business or something where she would work) then even if she was willing to let that stuff slide, her feelings would still manifest and she loses her mental functions the more she stores more of that stuff in containers that probably have to be made or more durable material to contain the smoke-stuff. In real life, you have to sometimes "keep your feelings bottled up", but she is literally required to express every grievance she ever has (unless she legitimately gets over it), or have her manifested anger mind-control some random pony into expressing it for her.

17. the_joker

the_joker Active Member

I'm surprised that the premiere for this season isn't a 2-parter, but I'm not complaining.

However, I will complain about the first of these episodes, which is "Celestial Advice", because I'm just that petty. After 6 seasons, Celestia finally gets some positive attention. But it's honestly too late, and this episode shows that too well. I feel like I should be angry, and I sort of am, but after the season 5 and 6 finales, I guess I'm just tired of being angry. Though to be fair to the creative team, I was never going to be satisfied, anyways.

Anyone who's gone through the trouble of reading my posts will know that I've always wanted Princess Celestia to do something meaningful but instead gets irritated over her poor portrayal. And I don't know how even one season, much less one episode, can fix 6 seasons of screw-ups. Twilight is unsure about what to do next with Starlight, so she asks her former mentor for help. Twilight even tries to declare at the end that she does need Celestia, but when has that ever been the case? This is literally the first time in the show that Twilight has ever directly asked Celestia for help. If anything, Celestia needs Twilight since the former sucks at defending Equestria. Ultimately, nothing comes out of this. The show never went out of its way to showcase the relationship between Twilight and Celestia. "Lesson Zero" comes close, but they only interact at the end of that episode. Since we don't know much about what the two think of each other, the episode tries to build on something that doesn't exist. Hell, the Celestia's flashback doesn't even show these two ponies doing anything together. Twilight does feel a huge need to appeal to Celestia in the first 2 seasons, but the lack of a relationship even during those seasons makes that feeling pointless.

Why does Twilight feel the need to send Starlight away? I'm sure teachers or mentors use whatever method they think is effective to help their student. So if Twilight has a plan that she thinks is genuinely better, she should stick with that plan. She only decides to send Starlight away just because Celestia did the same with Twilight, and Celestia agrees with Twilight's decision instead of telling her to make her own judgment because these two ponies are two different teachers. Celestia only sent Twilight to Ponyville because she thought Twilight was one of the ponies who'd beat Nightmare Moon, which was confirmed in the premiere and maybe with the Tree of Harmony (which hasn't been mentioned again for some reason, but whatever). So this attempt to draw a parallel with the situation concerning Twilight and Starlight doesn't make sense.

There also seems to be a continuity error. In the flashback to Ponyville, the main ponies sans Twilight are hanging out together , but the premiere of the show implies that they didn't know each other. The first season later shows Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash going to the same school together as fillies, but they're the only exceptions.

At least there's stuff I liked, at least the episode does show Celestia with other kinds of expressions like her concerns about leaving Twilight and laughing hysterically. Season 6 didn't feature much of Starlight, so her "graduation" would've been too sudden, which is one problem the season 6 finale suffered from when it tried to convince the viewer that Starlight went through a lot. Twilight felt that Starlight is ready to leave, but Starlight disagrees and wants to stick around. That kinda makes Twilight's plight pointless, and the episode suddenly ends after Starlight's declaration.

Overall, I hate "Celestial Advice", but I think my hatred was inevitable. At least we'll see more of Starlight, which the next episode does.

I do like "All Bottled Up" more between the two, but I'm mixed about it instead of actually being positive.

The episode shows Starlight and Trixie together, which should've happened in season 6, but whatever. Starlight is sick of Trixie's troublesome tendencies but doesn't know how to handle the situation, and she doesn't want to potentially lose Trixie by doing something she'll regret. Starlight is still learning about how to act toward a friend, and she finds out that she has to be upfront about her feelings. And she learns that how she expresses her feelings also matters. Trixie also shows that she values their friendship by apologizing and thinking of the spa when teleporting the table, which she notes is the location the two first met.

Trixie was pretty obnoxious in the episode. She wasn't the nicest pony around, but she wasn't insensitive, either. I thought Trixie was already competent with magic, or maybe transforming objects is a more difficult spell to cast.

And how does Starlight's anger conjure up a magic cloud? The episode tries to draw a connection between Starlight and her emotions, but this also hasn't happened before. She even notes this unusual cloud, but there still could've been another way to have Starlight struggle with her feelings. Interestingly, bottling up her magic actually drains the magic out of her since she gets weaker. I don't know how that works since I don't see the difference between this and sending out a magical blast.

I'm indifferent to the stuff the Mane 6 was up to. I'm sure it was there to contrast the trouble Starlight had with Trixie since the Mane 6 have been good friends for a long time, but it interrupted the main story pretty often.

Here's hoping the rest of season 7 will be better than these two episodes.

18. zoombie

All Bottled Up, we have come a long way form the 80's when shows like the Get Along Gangs and the Care Bears were pro bottle up angry, showing anger was an evil emotion back than, and now look how moral messages as changed, I think it started with The Simpsons "Lisa Sings The Blues" episode.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ShadowBeast

It wasn't a continuity error. There was no hints that they didn't know each other before Twilight came to Ponyville. AJ knew about Pinkie's Pinkie-sense, and them knowing each other made the series premiere make more sense with them going to Twilight after Nightmare Moon showed up.

This can blamed on Hasbro, who changed Trixie's backstory from Lauren Faust's original for her to have went to Celestia's school to being some random unicorn magician. Trixie's premiere episode shows her using real magic, but Hasbro wants everyone to pretent she doesn't know real magic.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Also, Green Isn't Your Color suggests that Rarity and Fluttershy have been close for some time (not to mention the fan theory that Putting Your Hoof Down took place before the series premiere).

• Like Like x 1