1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - News and Discussion Thread II

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Neo Yi, Nov 22, 2013.

1. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

1. I wondered why Felicia Day's name was familiar until I remembered that she voiced Angela on Fish Hooks. Nick Confalone, Neal Dusedau, and Meghan McCarthy all wrote for that series.

2. Is there any word on who the season 7 story editor will be?

2. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

#882 PinkiePie97, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  3. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

Finally, they released their April highlights...

4. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

According to this tweet, Nicole Dubuc confirmed that she will write for MLP, although she didn't say to what capacity. To paraphrase from something I wrote on deviantart:

"MLP has a couple of writers for both action shows and preschool shows. Nicole has worked on both types of shows.

A few of her preschool credits include Dragon Tales, Pinky Dinky Doo, My Friends Tigger And Pooh, and Jake And The Neverland Pirates.

"Her action show credits include WITCH, Jackie Chan Adventures, Spectacular Spiderman, Young Justice, Transformers Prime, and Star Wars Rebels.

"She co-created Transformers Rescue Bots (which combines both aspects) and was the initial story editor for Miles From Tomorrowland."

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Member

What do you think of product placement in the show? I mean, a lot of shows do product placement these days, so why not MLP?

6. the_joker

the_joker Active Member

What do you mean by product placement? Like a separate business wanting the show to advertise its stuff? I think of McDonalds or Walmart for that kind of move.

Otherwise, if you mean toys, the entire show is a toy commercial. That's why there's the Crystal Empire, Cadance, and Twilight's castle, for example. The crew could try to work with it instead of throwing them aside with the first two mentioned examples, but I don't know what they think when asked by Hasbro to put in a certain element just to sell some specific toy.

7. PinkiePie97

8. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

May's shaping up to be a fun month. :D

9. PinkiePie97

#889 PinkiePie97, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  10. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

I caught it just in time.

11. PinkiePie97

Another new short (this time, with more advanced warning) is airing next weekend.

12. PinkiePie97

The next Rarity's Peek Behind the Boutique, which is titled Costumer Critiques, will air next Saturday, same time as the last 2 shorts.

13. PinkiePie97

14. the_joker

the_joker Active Member

I wonder if Lauren Faust ever foresaw the show going on this long. Also interesting is that at this point, Twilight has been an alicorn longer than she has been a unicorn in the show.

15. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

...and just like that, Canada getting the Season 7 early comes to a halt just when they were about to get a highly anticipated episode. :(

Personally, there's a lot of possible reasons why this is happening. Among them:
    1. MLP episodes are currently finished five weeks in advance before its American airing, with Treehouse (the channel that was airing MLP episodes early in Canada) reaching the point where they ran out of episodes (in this case, the episode about AJ's parents isn't even done yet).
    2. Given how anticipated this episode is (both for it being about AJ's parents and the rumor that this is the episode featuring William Shatner and Felicia Day), Discovery Family most likely doesn't want this episode to be leaked early like a couple other episodes that featured special guest voices.
    3. Last weekend was probably the final straw for Hasbro in terms of the Treehouse leaks, as one episode that a lot of fan were anticipated (the episode with Rainbow Dash's parents) has less than stellar ratings, with the Treehouse leaks likely being the cause. However, it probably had less to do with the episode itself being leaked (as I did eventually watch the episode as soon as the new episode on Treehouse ended), and more to do with another anticipated episode airing at on Treehouse, one that contains such a big spoiler among the MLP community that it could have been enough for Hasbro to finally step in and put a stop to the leaks.

16. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

I really don't think they can be considered leaks if Treehouse purposefully aired it through means where its viewers are expected to catch it, especially given the show is literally made in that country. Also, ratings really aren't very meaningful in cable nowadays, especially for a channel as apathetic as Discovery Family so I doubt it played a large role in this, if any at all.

So, with that in mind, I'm pretty sure the big reason is them running out of eps to premiere. It was bound to happen eventually.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. PinkiePie97

Actually, Jim Miller says that episodes are finished 8-10 weeks before we see them, though yeah, Treehouse TV couldn't keep this up all season in either case.

Not only that, but MLP's future depends more on toy sales than TV ratings, so even when the show started, I doubt Hasbro cared about what ratings it got.

18. PinkiePie97

19. PinkiePie97

20. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

It's really weird just how common it is now for MLP material to premiere internationally. To my knowledge this hardly ever happened for the longest time, and since Legend of Everfree if anything it's the norm now.