My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic - "MMMystery On The Friendship Express" - Talkback [04/07]

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by The Huntsman, Apr 7, 2012.

1. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Today @ 1:00 PM ET on The Hub
    The season's just about over now. It really flew by compared to season one.

2. One Radical Dude

One Radical Dude Whoo-hoo!

It really did fly by. Only this one and the two-part season finale remaining. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm looking forward to a break from watching new episodes and wonder what will happen. Season Two has been great for the most part, but at times, it's felt a bit like it's been a bipolar season. There were a lot of things I really enjoyed, and most episodes have been enjoyable. However, there were things I didn't enjoy about this season, and at times, I've been very frustrated with what I disliked. That's why I felt at times, it's been a bipolar season. I won't say anymore on that, but I'm glad that we'll have a third season to look forward to.

This weekend's episode, it looks interesting. I don't have much to comment on other than that.

3. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier DISGRACEULLY Beating People Up

Whether I like this episode or not, it'll be a step up from last week's effort of the CMCs only doing something for unnecessary personal gain, IMHO...

Pinkie Pie fan or not (I'm not a fan of her), I'll proudly be watching to get some laughs out of this one...

4. King9

King9 Embraced One

I love when Pinkie is in charge like inHearth's Warming Eve. Pinkie really grew on me this season and I like 'murder mystery' plots so I'm jazzed for this episode.

5. Bakertoons

Bakertoons Don't break a Pinkie Promise.

Yeah, season 2 did fly by despite having the same length as season 1. This is the last regular episode, with the final two airing together as a one-hour special.

Pinkie is always fun, so hopefully this won't disappoint.

6. Bakertoons

Bakertoons Don't break a Pinkie Promise.

Act II was great. Love the movie parodies, especially the silent movie part and Pony Joe Bond.

So everyone did it, except Twilight, Pinkie, and AJ.

On a sidenote, Pony Joe's hilarious. I hope he appears again in season 3.

7. Blankments

Blankments The Sparkle Rises!

I agree, this season has gone by too fast.

Onto the episode, it was amazing. Return of Pony Joe and Julia Child donkey was amazing in the first act, and then the second act with the parodies of James Bond, silent movies, and ninja films was great too. I liked the fighting between Twilight and Pinkie over got to be head detective. I honestly didn't see the ending coming, since I thought it was Pinkie who sleepdid it. The reveal the Rarity having false eyelashes was hilarious, and the lesson did seem a little forced, but it was still good. Great episode!

8. MetroSparkster

MetroSparkster ...has nothing to say.

It was alright, nothing too special. Surprised how it turned out. First the ones who chomped on the cake were not the bakers, but the ponies (except Pinkie, Twilight, and AJ). Then the ones who ate the other desserts weren't the ponies, but the bakers. And the only MO for them all was temptation.

Just putting it out there, I kinda wished AJ at least licked the icing from the cake as well. I know she's the pony of honesty and all, but come on.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2012
  9. InkBottleInc

InkBottleInc New Member

This was a cute episode; I loved the parodies and the fact they didn't take the easy way out and just reveal the culprit to be Pinkie herself after going on a sleep-walking binge. I could see DASH being the cluprit but I was a little shocked that Rarity and Fluttershy took part as well. I guess its true to be wary of the cute and shy ones. XD

No Luna again (sigh) but seeing Celestia go starry-eyed over the cake was hilarious....too bad Pinkie got to it first!

10. Hypeathon

Hypeathon Active Member

Okay, it should be made clear that I've been more positive towards my reactions of most of the episodes this seasons. And yes, this includes the Cutie Mark Crusader episodes. But there is something about the plot of this type of episode that made me.... not care all that much. It wasn't exactly a bad episode, especially when Twilight stepped in and helped correct Pinkie Pie in terms of solving the mystery. However.... I didn't exactly care what happen until the last third of the show and I'm trying to figure out really hard why that is. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact I've seen this episode premise multiple times before. I know I saw this in Rugrats, Ed, Edd, n Eddy, Hey Arnold, Powerpuff Girls, Doug (I think).... and maybe a couple of sitcoms once? But in the case of the cartoons I mentioned, they were half-episodes.

I'm not sure what it is. Maybe mystery in general isn't exactly my kind of thing in a story if it specifically involves people sitting around and one guy talking while either making accusations or being the jaded, level-headed one that solves problems easily (like in that show Gosick)? It's weird, much of this episode just wasn't clicking for me and I'm annoyed over how I can't figure out why. It wasn't really bad, I just cared less for it than I normally would.

11. army128

army128 New Member

If only Pinkie didn't say how delicious her cake looks/tastes like in extreme delicious detail, and all the others' desserts too, things would've turn out fine. :p

Still, that was a good last-normal episode for the time-being. The references were funny, each one is in a different style, yet very imaginative and over-the-top craziness in Pinkie's view. The way Rarity had her hair in front was very clever, I noticed it throughout the whole episode., but I would never imagine Rarity would eat the cake, and Rainbow Dash & Fluttershy too.

I probably get what you're saying. In a show where colorful ponies play games, have wild adventures & do all sorts of things, especially in a Pinkie-centered episode, playing detective often involves thinking, and taking it slow to analyze & investigate who did it. Not to mention, it was spent most of the time in one setting (the train), so it's pretty small & crowded to roam around.

12. Kookamunga

Kookamunga So Random

Another good episode by Amy Keating Rogers.

Pinkie Pie episodes are always a riot and this one didn't disappoint. :anime:

Loved Pinkie's wacky depictions of her suspects sabotaging the cake with Gustav being an old-timey villain, Pony Joe being a spy, and Miriam as a ninja! :D

Her interactions with Twilight as her assistant and vice-versa was rather entertaining.

The culprits being Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Rarity was a nice surprise and wasn't too predictable. :p

Funny to see Celestia at the end still having a craving for cake as hinted at last episode. :p

Can't believe Season 2 is just about about over already. Can hardly wait for the epic two-part season finale! :cool:

13. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Silence, you dumb wench!!!

Looks like the writer avoided the obvious route and make Pinkie Pie the one who did it (while also setting a red herring early on that Applejack would be the pony to do it and that the chocolate mousse moose would be a real moose in disguise). As for the episode itself, not sure if this one or A Friend In Deed is the better Pinkie Pie episode. On one side, Pinkie isn't as "jerky" as she was in A Friend In Deed. On the otherhand, besides the fact that the "pony culprits" seem to be interchangable for the first two instances, the idea of Fluttershy doing this seems a little bit OOC for her (can see Rarity and Rainbow Dash sneak out for a bite, but her?).

Additional comments:

-LOL the ponies having to tear down one of the walls of the train car to fit the Cakes' cake into it (with Big Macinstosh fixing it before they leave).

-Another good joke: the giffon baker shining a light on his eclaires to make them shine.

-So, I take it the donkey baker is a nod to Julia Child, right?

-The "lights out" bit was a hoot, with Pinkie wondering who turned off the moon and asking the thief if he/she is all right after bumping into something.

-Oh, Pinkie and her overactive imagination. First, a silent film parody, then a James Bond spoof, and finally a ninja spoof.

-Personally, Twilight Sparkle looks better in the Sherlock Holmes hat than Pinkie Pie.

Something told me that Rarity covering her eye was a hint that she may have taken a bite out of the cake. Once the reveal takes place, one thing I wonder is, "Why didni't Gabby Gums cover this secret in last week's episode?". :p

-If you rewatch the episode, the solution to who took a bite into the Cakes' cake actually fits (i.e the "engineer" having wings, while the real engineer was an Earth pony; the fake eyelash is noticealbe when Pinkie Pie adjusts the tilted picture). However, when it comes to who ate the other desserts, I wonder if a Truman Capote pony would have complained about it (anyone here get the reference?).

14. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier DISGRACEULLY Beating People Up

Definitely in my "Liked" tier, this episode is...!

Episodes like these in most Western animated fare tend to be predicable and easy to figure out - not the case here. I was left the guessing the whole time, which is a very good thing to me on the writers' part. Thanks for that - this alone made this episode stand out in a positive light!

Temptation truly is a terrible victimization tool - and this episode shows it with how Pinkie shouldn't talk about how awesome cake is around people (for an example to point out about this), especially her friends and if it's a competition, to be specific. Not everyone has strong willpower in this case, and we see that here with how they all want to taste that cake. To be honest, I really though Pinkie did it all in her sleep - after that, I thought Fluttershy did it all. What really surprised me is how Pinkie's competition turned on itself by eating each others' works respectively - then again, Pinkies at fault for that, too.

She really needs to keep her mouth shut when it comes to stuff like this, especially competitive fare. At least they all made allies (if not friends) and things worked out in the end, without feeling trite and saccharine, either, which is not only a huge plus, but all to me, all that really matters - so much hostility at the beginning. But, it was a competition, so the hostility made a bit of sense...

Overall, a great last normal effort for all of Season 2. Not the best overall effort I've seen, but definitely a big step up from the unfortunate flaws that hindered Ponyville Confidential, that's for sure.

Above all else, here's hoping the Finale, 2-parter that it is, can build on this positive momentum I definitely felt here, courtesy of the good/creative writing efforts...

15. Hypeathon

Hypeathon Active Member

I understand where you were getting at by coming to that conclusion. But it wasn't so much that I would've felt better about the episode if it was more "adventurous." The problem wasn't about the setting. Like I said, it's really hard to pin-point what bothers me about this kind of episode. While the outcome of the episode felt "predictable," I don't want to just straight-up say that because in the past there have been episodes of My Little Pony that had predictable outcomes in the story and yet I cared more about how it was going to get that point. Like in the "May the Best Pet Win," episode, I knew Fluttershy would end up picking Tank as her pet as soon as he was shown. But it didn't bother me because I was curious to see how Tank would win Ranibow Dash over and make her change her mindset beng, "I only want the best as my pet." That's usually what makes a story interesting to me regardless of whether the actual plot itself is predictable or not. I mean there are only so many conclusions and outcomes one can think of for a premise.

I'm trying to think what it was about the "who did it episodes" in other shows that grabbed my attention more. In Rugrats (and this was on the 90s Are All That not that long ago either), when Tommy wanted to find out who broke his lamp, he was upset about it and I was interested in seeing if his anger would get the better of him more than who did it. And then that's that Ed, Edd, n Eddy episode "If if Smells Like an Ed," where they were framed and disgraced by the kids of the Cul-de-sac on Frinedship day. Say what you will about that episode, but I did care about what the Eds were going to do to prove they were innocent and find out who framed them considering they didn't like how they were accused of various things they didn't do. Maybe that's the problem with this My little Pony episode. There wasn't anything emotionally driven out of characters in this episode. It felt like Pinkie Pie simply cared to play detective or something. Maybe that's the problem, though I'm still not entirely sure.

16. JAG

JAG New Member

Not bad at all, certainly a big step up from last week. I had very low expectations for this one, and was sure the writer would go the obvious route and have Pinkie herself as the culprit. But that obviously was not the case, so hats off to Amy Keating Rogers for keeping me guessing.

Pros:

- Gustav. A moustache-twirling French griffon would be great enough, but the silent movie bit catapulted him into awesome territory.

- Pony Joe! I never thought we'd see him again. The James Bond thing was hilarious, there's no way we won't get a few dozen fanfics out of it. Also, Donutopia is Best Dessert of the series. Period.

- So Fluttershy has tail extensions, and now Rarity wears fake eyelashes. Is anything about these ponies actually real? Soon it'll probably turn out that Scootaloo really is a chicken...

- Celestia and the cake. So the CMCs definitely got that right, at least.

- Twilight is Best Detective.

Cons: N/A.

So an enjoyable episode overall. Easily my favorite of this season's Pinkie eps. 4/5 and Upper-Mid Tier. And now, we enter the final week of the season. It's a little depressing, but I expect to see another creativity explosion from the fandom over the summer. There's certainly a lot of good fanfic material that hasn't been used yet.

17. Blankments

Blankments The Sparkle Rises!

Oh, and here's my tier list since I missed last week's tier bonanza. Also, ordered from best to worst.

Celestia Tier
    It’s About Time
    The Last Roundup
    Hurricane Fluttershy
    MMMystery on the Friendship Express

Top Tier
    Secret of My Excess
    Sweet and Elite

High Tier
    Hearts and Hooves
    The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000
    Putting Your Hoof Down
    Luna Eclipsed
    Ponyville Confidential
    May the Best Pet Win!
    Baby Cakes
    Lesson Zero
    The Return of Harmony, Part 1

Upper Mid Tier
    Dragon Quest
    Sisterhooves Social
    A Friend in Deed
    Family Appreciation Day
    The Return of Harmony, Part 2

Middle Tier
    Read It and Weep
    The Cutie Pox
    Hearth's Warming Eve

Low
    The Mysterious Mare Do Well

18. Sailor V

Sailor V Defender Of Justice

Since almost everyone has done rankings for season two, here's my rankings!:

Top Notch Tier:
    The Last Roundup
    Hurricane Fluttershy
    Secret of My ExcessHearts and Hooves
    Lesson Zero

Good Tier:
    MMMystery on the Friendship Express
    Sweet and Elite
    Sisterhooves Social

Okay Tier:
    It’s About Time
    The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000
    Putting Your Hoof Down
    May the Best Pet Win!
    Baby Cakes
    The Return of Harmony, Part 1
    A Friend in Deed
    Family Appreciation Day

Bad Tier:
    Luna Eclipsed
    Ponyville Confidential
    The Return of Harmony, Part 2
    The Cutie Pox
    Hearth's Warming Eve

Really Awful Tier:
    The Mysterious Mare Do Well
    Dragon Quest

About this week's episode, I agree with everyone on how this overused plot has some nice twists and some good spoofs in there.

19. HEATXZ

HEATXZ Duck Knght

Amazing episode :anime:
    Pinkie Pie was hilarious in this episode with imaging that the chefs did it XD
    I never expected Fluttershy to eat the cake

20. Juu-kuchi

Juu-kuchi Everypony's Starry-Eyed

Exceptionally solid, middle to upper-tier episode, and the best Pinkie Pie episode of the season. Loved her wild accusations during the first half, and the eventual surprise reveal of all the culprits in the matter. Glad to see that my fear of Pinkie Pie being the inadvertent culprit all along was unfounded.
    Ha, I wasn't thinking ninja spoofs, I was thinking Samurai Jack right then and there.

The only real flaw I found was that it ended too fast, I was having way too good a time when it came to the detective mystery, and that the culprits needed to put up a better fight claiming they weren't the ones who did it. Maybe I've just played too much Ace Attorney games, but a little fight would've made it all the more amusing.

Still, enjoyed it, and a bit sad that the finale is in two weeks. I'll put in my rankings there.