1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" Comic Book Series - News & Discussion

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by SigmasonicX, Jul 12, 2012.

1. SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX Active Member

There are also a ton of other ones, which I've listed in my post in the comic talkback thread (in the Comics forum).

2. SigmasonicX

Princess Twilight to appear in the comics starting in issue 13 (the start of the Hoofbeard story)

I waited to post this to confirm that Bobby Curnow didn't mistype "15", but he wrote 13 again in his next post. Unlike a lot of others, I have no problem at all with Princess Twilight appearing in the comic. I just found it odd that they didn't make a huge deal of it on the covers we've seen; although, while we don't see Twilight's wings, we also don't see the area where wings would be. Also, I thought for sure that they would renumber the series (start from #1 and make a big event out of it) when Princess Twilight was brought in. Really, I'm just surprised by the lack of pomp.

It is also confirmed in the second post that Princess Twilight won't be in the Spike micro-series issue.

3. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

And somewhere out there, Trixie and Sunset are Hating with their punk Flanks. Am I right?

4. SigmasonicX

Two more posts by Bobby Curnow.

* The comic appearance of Princess Twilight matching up with start of season 4 is completely coincidental. They just decided that the start of the second year of the comics would be a good place to start. They didn't know when season 4 would start when they decided this.
    * The creative team had no issue with the switch over to Princess Twilight, since there was no call for substantial changes to their planned stories.
    * Bobby reads the episode scripts, then waits until the episodes come on Netflix before watching them.
    * After the end of the micro-series with the Luna issue, the series replacing it will be ongoing. Bobby says that if you enjoyed the micro-series, you'd enjoy the new series.
    * Discord will have a major role in at least one upcoming issue.
    * Bobby can't speak for the quality of the season 4 stories, because he didn't read the stories for fun. In any case, with the season 3 scripts he read, he didn't really enjoy them until he saw the final episodes. That said, there's a lot of fun stuff to come.
    * The upcoming superhero episode is close to something the comic is going to do, but they were able to keep the comic story as is.
    * There are currently no stories planned to focus on Twilight as a princess. The princess thing is talked about in a few scenes and is used to inform Twilight's actions, but otherwise gets no major focus.
    * Hasbro has not dictated what stories to tell, and neither has Bobby for that matter. It's all up to the creative team of the comics.

5. Nel_Annette

Nel_Annette Living it up.

6. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

7. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

Did they say whenever Princess Twilight was forced upon them?

8. SigmasonicX

If Princess Twilight was forced on them (and there's no sign that they were), then from how Bobby talks, they appear to have been given a lot of leeway on when to incorporate her.
    It's far more likely that as fans of the show, they simply wished to incorporate a major plot point from the show.

EDIT: 1 million copies sold! (over the entire main series, not counting the micro-series, I presume)

#169 SigmasonicX, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2013
  9. SigmasonicX

Database error ate my old post.

Solicitations for issue #15 and the new series replacing the Micro-Series, Friends Forever:

10. SigmasonicX

I know a lot of people were only interested in the Equestria Girls annual special for the Sunset Shimmer story, so they should be happy to know that the newest official preview contains all but the last two pages of it. All that's missing is Sunset jumping into the mirror and entering the human world.

It was interesting, but it really just made me disappointed that Equestria Girls is all we'll see of Sunset as a villain.

By the way, Hot Topic did release the annual issue (and #12) early, and I looked at some panels of the main story of the annual issue. The art honestly looks quite bad, especially due to the Equestria Girls designs, and the story just seems to be the standard "girls enter high school, get caught up in the cliques, but learn to look past them to become friends" thing, so this will be the first comic I don't buy.

11. SigmasonicX

Solicitations for #16 and Friends Forever #2

12. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

13. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

I liked the annual (especially the Easter Egg nods to Megan, Molly, and Danny), but I see what you're getting at. The story really didn't bring anything new to the table. We already knew the initial backstory of Sunset Shimmer, but at least her downfall from Celestia's pupil was fleshed out.

14. Edward15

Edward15 To The Toons Of The 2000's!

So, I've heard rumors that Discord is appearing alongside the CMCs. Since they're so young, I doubt they'll be distrusting of him. Perhaps he'll end up getting three more friends. A shame it won't be canon.

15. SigmasonicX

New solicitations!

16. SigmasonicX

So, the first six issues of the MLP Micro-Series comic series are going to published as a volume in Japan with a new cover.
    Amusing how it features Princess Twilight when the Japanese dub won't be anywhere close to that point by the time this is published in January, and the Micro-Series itself has just ended (to be replaced with an on-going series) without featuring Princess Twilight at all.

17. SigmasonicX

New solicitations

18. SigmasonicX

New solicitations for May

19. SigmasonicX

As a heads up, Katie Cook has been posting on the Round Stable forums, and in particular, she has been talking about the upcoming comic arc in the thread for issue #17.

Of note: