1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" Comic Book Series - News & Discussion

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by SigmasonicX, Jul 12, 2012.

1. SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX Active Member

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #27
    Cover
    (W) Katie Cook (A) Andy Price (CA) Andy Price, Tony Fleecs
    Timberwolves invade Ponyville! They're just the start of the troubles for our ponies though as many other mystical creatures emerge from Everfree Forest. What could be causing the mass migration and how can the balance of nature be restored?

Friends Forever #13
    Cover A
    Subscription cover
    (W) Jeremy Whitley (A) Agnes Garbowska (CA) Amy Mebberson
    When Sweetie Belle gets sick, it's up to big sis Rarity to entertain Babs Seed on a visit to Manehattan. The only problem is the two seemingly have nothing in common! Will the two find a way to overcome their differences and find a way to have fun in the big city?

Comments:
    The former feels like the second half of "Princess Twilight Sparkle" expanded to a full episode, but hopefully there's a different hook. The latter is a really unexpected combo, and it will be interesting to see how that turns out.

2. SigmasonicX

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #28
    (W) Katie Cook (A) Andy Price (CA) Andy Price, Sara Richard
    Cover
    “The Root of the Problem” Part 2! Twilight and friends journey to the heart of Everfree Forest to find out what has been causing its inhabitants to flee. What they find can only mean trouble for Ponyville!

My Little Pony Friends Forever #14
    (W) Jeremy Whitley (A) Agnes Garbowska (CA) Amy Mebberson
    Cover A
    Subscription cover
    When a dragon problem in Fillydelphia threatens to get out of hand, Luna enlists Spike’s help to find a peaceful solution. There are many suspects and no easy answers as both Spike and Luna must admit to personal shortcomings in order to find the true culprit.

My comments:
    The #28 cover is pretty horrifying, in a neat way. The story itself still sounds like the second half of "Princess Twilight Sparkle", and like I said before, hopefully it will have a different hook. For the second issue, we have yet another unexpected but interesting team up. I forget, will this be the first time we see Fillydelphia?

Also, that feeling when you realize that even though these issues come out in March, they very well may come out before season 5 starts.

3. SigmasonicX

MY LITTLE PONY FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC #29
    Cover
    (W) Ted Anderson (A) Jay P. Fosgitt (CA) Jay P. Fosgitt, Kathryn Longua
    Cherilee gets a visit from her sister who happens to be one of the most famous wrestlers in Equestria! A long-simmering grudge between the siblings threatens to explode unless Rarity and friends can figure out a way for the two to mend hurt feelings.

MY LITTLE PONY FRIENDS FOREVER #15
    Cover A
    Subscription cover
    (W) Bobby Curnow (A) Brenda Hickey (CA) Brenda Hickey, Amy Mebberson
    After getting an erroneous citation, Applejack goes to Ponyville City Hall to set things right! She soon finds herself swept up in the chaos of city government thanks to none other than Mayor Mare! Will Applejack be able to escape with her sanity intact?

The first issue is pretty unexpected, and could be fun. I'm reminded of how apparently Archie's Sonic X comic got completely derailed by choosing to focus more on Dr. Eggman's career as a professional wrestler (using machines to cheat) than on Sonic and friends, and apparently actually became quite good that way. The second issue... I'm actually not really feeling it. But then again, I never did care about Mayor Mare, and we are already going through a "Applejack gets frustrated and must persevere in the face of bureaucracy" thing in the current comic arc, though at least it makes sense in that Friends Forever issue.

4. SigmasonicX

Amazon listings reveals that IDW is doing a villains miniseries, with five issues on King Sombra, Tirek, the Sirens, Nightmare Moon, and Queen Chrysalis. Well, it's listed as a collection, and maybe it is actually being released all together, but that seems a bit odd. This could potentially be pretty interesting. Having Nightmare Moon is surprising, since as far as we know, Luna was only Nightmare Moon for a fairly short amount of time. I suppose there are three options: Luna was Nightmare Moon more discretely before confronting Celestia; the story will be about when Luna was sealed on the moon; or the story will be about the "Nightmare Force" separate from Luna. Concerning the Sirens, I do think I might check that out even if it largely takes place in Dougworld, but I'll definitely be checking out reacts to it first.

5. SigmasonicX

Oh hey, the comics have officially been announced. It turns out that one issue will be released each week in April, which explains how the collected version can be available as early as it is listed. Details are sparse, other than confirmation that the Sombra, Tirek, and Siren stories are origin stories; the Nightmare Moon story takes place while Luna was sealed on the moon; and the Chrysalis story seemingly takes place after the first comic arc, with her still trapped where she was left at the end of that.

My Little Pony Fiendship is Magic #1 Sombra
    Cover A
    Subscription cover
    (W) Jeremy Whitley (A) Brenda Hickey (CA) Amy Mebberson
    The first My Little Pony mini-series event! This month-long weekly limited series explores the secret origins of the Equestria’s greatest villains!
    What caused Sombra to become one of the most feared ponies in Equestria’s history?

My Little Pony Fiendship is Magic #2 Tirek
    Cover A
    Subscription cover
    (W) Christina Rice (A) Tony Fleecs (CA) Amy Mebberson
    The first My Little Pony mini-series event! This month-long weekly limited series explores the secret origins of the Equestria’s greatest villains!
    Tirek’s mad quest for power starts here!

My Little Pony Fiendship is Magic #3 Sirens
    Cover A
    Subscription cover
    (W) Ted Anderson (A) Agnes Garbowska (CA) Amy Mebberson
    The Sirens from Rainbow Rocks Equestria origin revealed!

My Little Pony Fiendship is Magic #4 Nightmare Moon
    Cover A
    Subscription cover
    (W) Heather Nuhfer (A) Tony Fleecs (CA) Amy Mebberson
    The untold story of what Nightmare Moon did during her time on the moon!

My Little Pony Fiendship is Magic #5 Queen Chrysalis
    Cover A
    Subscription cover
    (W) Katie Cook (A) Andy Price (CA) Amy Mebberson
    The ponies visit the imprisoned Chrysalis… what secrets is she hiding!

Also, Day of the Dead themed alternate art for the ponies... for some reason; it looks nice, though. It's kind of surprising to see Twilight be left out of a cycle of art, but I suppose it's good that she's being left out instead of Applejack for once.

6. SigmasonicX

For the record, concerning the above post, it turns out Twilight does appear in a variant cover for the first issue.

Friendship is Magic #30
    Cover A
    Subscription cover
    My Little Pony Friendship is Magic #30
    (W) Christina Rice (A/CA) Agnes Garbowska
    “Ponyville Days,” Part 1. A massive event celebrating Ponyville’s founding is nearing but an argument between friends splits the town into two argumentative factions!

Friends Forever #16
    Cover A
    My Little Pony Friends Forever #16
    (W) Jeremy Whitley (A) Jenn Blake (CA) Amy Mebberson
    When Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon see those obnoxious blank flanks, the Cutie Mark Crusaders, threaten to win a school contest, they decide go all out to make sure the best ponies win! (Being themselves, of course!)

Not really interested in either story. Twilight looks really odd with a swim cap in the former issue's subscription cover.

7. SigmasonicX

Friendship is Magic #31
    Cover A
    Subscription cover
    Writer: Christina Rice
    Artist: Agnes Garbowska
    Cover Artist: Agnes Garbowska
    Synopsis: "Ponyville Days" Part 2. The town struggles to mend a major divide, while hordes of tourists descend on Ponyville and threaten to overwhelm the populace!
    Release Date: 6/17/2015

Friends Forever #17
    Cover A
    Subscription cover
    Writer: Ted Anderson
    Artist: Brenda Hickey
    Cover Artist: Amy Mebberson
    Synopsis: Twilight Sparkle is feeling overworked and stressed out! She decides to visit the most Zen pony she knows-Big Mac! But Mac is feeling less than communicative, so Twilight will have to go where no pony has gone before-inside Big Mac's mind!
    Release Date: 6/3/2015

Comments:
    The arc in Friendship is Magic looks more interesting now that tourists are getting involved. I didn't expect Twilight and Big Mac to team up, and the story looks like it could be fun. The second cover art reminds me of Mario & Luigi: Dream Team.

8. SigmasonicX

Friendship is Magic #32
    Cover A
    Writer: Thom Zahler
    Artist: Tony Fleecs
    Cover Artist: Tony Fleecs
    Synopsis: "Night of the Living Apples," Part 1! Something sinister is happening at Sweet Apple Acres! Bad apples have come alive and determined to take over all of Ponyville!

Friends Forever #18
    Cover A
    Writer: Christina Rice
    Artist: Jay P. Fosgitt
    Cover Artist: Amy Mebberson
    Synopsis: Everyone's favorite pegasus pair Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash star in this issue! Dash is excited to go to the Cloudsdale school reunion-but Fluttershy is harboring some bad memories and fears!

Friendship is Magic looks fun, and for Friends Forever, it is kind of surprising that it took 18 issues for this pair to show up. It seems like it could be cute. For the record, I remembered it being mentioned that Rainbow Dash was a school drop out, but that was only in reference to flight camp, so regular school may have gone fine for her.

9. SigmasonicX

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic #33
    Cover A
    Subscription cover
    (W) Thom Zahler (A) Tony Fleecs
    "Night of the Living Apples" Part 2! The Bad Apples' rule is now law in Ponyville! The only hope lies with FLUTTERBAT!

My Little Pony Friends Forever #19
    Cover A
    (W) Christina Rice (A) Brenda Hickey
    Rarity has a genius idea to expand the Cake's business! However, Rarity's big dreams may overtake the Cake's sanity before the new venture can even get off the ground!

Another unexpected team up for Friends Forever, though I'm not really feeling this one as of yet. As for the regular series, it looks like everyone will become bats in this story. Not sure how well that will work.

10. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

BTW in Jem and the Holograms #3, it had a Rainbow Dash cameo.

11. SigmasonicX

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic #34
    (W) Jeremy Whitley (A/CA) Andy Price
    Cover A
    Subscription cover
    “Siege of the Crystal Empire” Part 1! A enigmatic new foe brings together some of the most villainous characters in Equestria to attack the Crystal Empire! What is their true aim and will our ponies be able to save the day?

My Little Pony Friends Forever #20
    (W) Jeremy Whitley (A) Brenda Hickey (CA) Amy Mebberson
    Cover
    Discord has been having trouble sleeping. And bad sleep for Discord means trouble for anyone around him! Princess Luna delves into Discord’s chaotic slumber to try and identify the source of the problem.

Oh damn, we're continuing the Sombra story? E3 bombs continue! Discord and Luna is also an amazing combination. Looking forward to both... despite the track record of arcs in the comic.

And Andy Price is doing the art for someone who isn't Katie Cook? Now that's a surprise.

12. SigmasonicX

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #35
    Cover
    (W) Jeremy Whitley (A) Andy Price (CA) Sara Richard
    "Siege of the Crystal Empire," Part 2! The mystery antagonist reveals the next stage in a diabolical scheme! Will our ponies be able to uncover what role Sombra is meant to play before it's too late?

Friends Forever #21
    Cover
    (W) Ted Anderson (A) Agnes Garbowska (CA) Amy Mebberson
    Ship Date: 10/7/2015
    A strange flu has descended over Ponyville! Only two friends find themselves immune... Spike and Zecora? Will the unusual pair be able to find a cure?

It seems like in Siege of the Crystal Empire, Chrysalis may be the main villain, who is trying to revive Sombra. At first, I thought the pony on the cover was supposed to be Luna, but given the way her magic looks, is that supposed to be that one healer from Sombra's backstory? Was she those colors?

And it looks like we may be getting a zombie story in Friends Forever. I don't think Spike and Zecora have interacted at all.

13. Rainbow Dash Fan

this might be a better thread for me to ask this question. I read that Lightning Dust is one of the villains invading the Crystal Empire. what happens to the villains at the end of this arc are they reformed or banished or something? because I felt sorry for Dust in "Wonderbolt Academy" especially considering the alternate ending which was supposed to be the real ending.

14. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Well consider this legion of doom we have here, san for Crysalis, these aren't really villains and I don't think they would want something terrible to happen to the world, so yeah I think we are. I mean really Iron Will, the Flim Flam brothers, I don't consider them bad guys that would support what ever King Sombra is going to do, what they couldn't get Diamond Tiara to the team.

15. Rainbow Dash Fan

oh, this arc isn't finished yet? I guess the answers won't come yet. I just figured whatever happens to the main villain will also happen to her assemblage of other antagonists. also, I don't think this would be canon to the show as these comics try to make Sombra sympathetic which is at odds with Sombra's depiction in the series where he wasn't really a character but the concept of evil taken physical form, like Micheal Myers.

and also, when Lightning Dust was supposedly kicked out of the Wonderbolts Academy, Spitfire only removed her lead pony badge, with Wind Rider in a later episode, she took away his Wonderbolt symbol and made it clear he was kicked out. I'm now starting to think that the people who cut the part of the ending where Dust apologized weren't trying to make it non-canon but where just looking to cut something for time and didn't think it through.

#215 Rainbow Dash Fan, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015