1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" Comic Book Series - News & Discussion

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by SigmasonicX, Jul 12, 2012.

1. SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX Active Member

New solicitations, including another unexpected team-up and the end of the Reflections arc!

2. Megas75

Megas75 New Member

3. SigmasonicX

Solicitations for July!

4. the_joker

the_joker Active Member

I don't know why I didn't start reading the comics earlier, so I finally bought the return of Chrysalis comic, and I found it to be good enough. For whatever reason, the CMC don't seem to mind being kidnapped unless they were very confident about the Mane 6 rescuing them. Being annoying to Chrysalis, and her reactions were both very amusing. As always, the big fight against the bad guy isn't very exciting. Princess Celestia doesn't help against Chrysalis, but she (and Spike) does get to save Canterlot, so that's something I suppose. Luna for some reason can't find Manehattan, but I'm guessing that place will be saved, off-panel anyways.

I'll probably get to the spin-off comics at some point.

5. SigmasonicX

As a reminder, there is a separate talkback thread linked to in the first post.

Anyway, it turns out that back in mid-April, Ben Bates revealed that one of his last comics will be the 2014 Annual Special, and he posted a panel from it here.

6. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

one friends forever should be spike and Garble. Where on the cover the word friends forever is corssed out and replaced with YEAH RIGHT

7. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Forget about Garble. Everybody else has.:D

8. SigmasonicX

August solicitations!

Probably the most boring set of announcements in a while, but at least the issues look fun.

9. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

Spike and Garble should have a team up

10. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Why do you keep repeating the same thing over and over? That adds nothing to the discussion and it's redundant if you're not going to say anything new. We heard you the first time.

#190 Goldstar Neo, May 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2014
  11. SigmasonicX

I was pretty impressed by this interview that ED had with Sara Richard, one of the cover artists for the comic, particularly with how it went into a lot of detail about her non-pony projects.

12. SigmasonicX

There's an omnibus of the first 12 issues coming soon. That is to say, the return of Queen Chrysalis, Nightmare Rarity, Big Mac's adventure, and how Shining Armor and Cadence fell in love--every issue from the first year, and before they started depicting Twilight as an alicorn.

13. SigmasonicX

New solicitations, including the new annual special, which I will definitely be getting, unlike last year's.

14. SigmasonicX

More details about the next annual special of the comic. In addition to the 40 page main story about the Power Ponies, there is an 8 page story about Mane-iac... going to the Equestria Girls world. Sigh. Well, at least this time it's ponies for 40 pages and humans for 8 pages, as opposed to the other way around like before. The short story will also be available early at SDCC.

15. SigmasonicX

After July's month of Trixie in the comics, it looks like October is going to be the month of Fluttershy.

16. SigmasonicX

Details from IDW's Kids Comics panel at SDCC.

17. SigmasonicX

November solicitations. You know, I don't think anyone really cares about how spoilerish they are, so I'll stop putting them in spoiler blocks.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #25
    Cover
    (W) Katie Cook (A) Andy Price (CA) Andy Price, Sara Richard
    A new plot of land has been bequeathed to the Apple family and they, along with the rest of our favorite ponies, go to investigate the land's worth! Unfortunately the land has been taken over by Cattle Rustlers who think there's treasure hidden somewhere on it! It's an epic Western-pony-style!

My Little Pony: Friends Forever #11
    Cover A
    Subscription cover
    (W) Ted Anderson (A) Jay P. Fosgitt (CA) Amy Mebberson
    Rainbow Dash is overjoyed when Wonderbolt Spitfire invites her to a special training camp. However, Spitfire is hiding a secret that she is ashamed to admit. Will Dash be able to help before the camp turns into chaos?

We've known about the first comic, and it still looks good. If the latter is about having to take care of foals, like the covers suggest, then it could be a lot of fun. Hopefully Spitfire is more likable than she was in seasons 3 and 4.

18. SigmasonicX

There's going to be a 48-page Equestria Girls holiday special in December. I suppose a snow day is something that couldn't really be done with the same meaning in pony land. Still, doesn't this mean that we're essentially getting two annual specials a year now? Kind of impressive, though if this was going to be a full on Equestria Girls story, it's kind of lame that there also had to be an Equestria Girls story in the Power Ponies issue.

19. SigmasonicX

MY LITTLE PONY FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC #26
    Cover A
    (W) Katie Cook (A) Andy Price (CA) Andy Price, Agnes Garbowska
    All plans to stop the Cattle Rustler gang have failed! Hope seems to be in short supply in the small town of Canter Creek. Luckily a new sheriff is in town… Applejack!

MY LITTLE PONY FRIENDS FOREVER #12
    Cover A
    Subscription cover
    (W) Barbara Kesel (A/CA) Brenda Hickey
    Pinkie Pie meets her match… in the form of delicious, irresistible snacks called PheNOMNOMenons! With Pinkie helpless to resist the tasty treats, she enlists help from her friend Twilight! Will Twilight be able to help her friend or will she succumb to her sweet tooth as well?

MY LITTLE PONY EQUESTRIA GIRLS HOLIDAY SPECIAL
    Cover A
    (W) Ted Anderson (A/CA) Tony Fleecs
    It’s holiday time at Canterlot High! Sunset Shimmer is still getting used to life on campus, and her new friends. When mean rumors start to circulate, all signs point to Sunset as the source. Will she be able to find the true meaning of the holidays and clear her name?

Comments:
    1. Odd that the Cattle Rustlers are so hard to deal with when Applejack and Rarity beat them up in their Friends Forever issue without trying, but whatever. Also, I guess the other characters are present for this story after all, judging from the cover.
    2. This looks like a fun issue. I like the second cover more than the first, solely due to Twilight carrying a whistle and a stop sign. Apparently the artist, Brenda Hicky, tweeted earlier that Twilight's castle was a pain to draw, so I guess this will be the first issue we know of to take place after season 4. Kind of surprising; hopefully this means that season 5 starts before this comic comes out.
    3. Everyone looks weird on that cover. It looks like this takes place between the two movies, making it so that Twilight does not appear in any Equestria Girls comic. As for the story... "true meaning of the holidays"? Bleh. Hopefully this means that the true story is that Sunset is trying to hibernate through the winter but all of her friends at Jellystone Park wake her up and show her that it's better to stay up during the holidays. And this happens to her twice. Well, not going to buy this one anyway.

20. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Personally, I found the first one to be better, as I could see Pinkie's mind being like Yellow Submarine.