My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic - "A Canterlot Wedding (Part One & Part Two)" - Talkback [04/21]

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by The Huntsman, Apr 21, 2012.

1. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Today @ 1:00 PM ET and 1:30 PM ET on The Hub
    This could be one of the best episodes of the series or it could be one of the worst. I figure the truth will fall somewhere in the middle, but I'm curious as to how the fandom will react. Some people are already dismissing the episode, but it seems like most fans are cautiously optimistic about it.

2. Bakertoons

Bakertoons Don't break a Pinkie Promise.

I have to say, it was a crazy ride this season. I maintain that season 2 has been a big improvement over season 1; not that season 1 was terrible, but the show pretty much got better and better over the run, even with a few bumps here and there.

I'm looking forward to the hour-long finale. Season 3 oughta be interesting; that's going to be the first true Faust-less season.

Also, Horsie wedding :)

3. One Radical Dude

One Radical Dude Whoo-hoo!

Are people already dismissing the episode based on what they've read and heard? I can't say I'm really surprised to hear that. I'm one of those that are pretty optimistic, but not one of those thinking, "these are gonna be the best episodes ever!!!!" I can't wait to watch, but I'm also looking forward to the break in between the seasons. Season Two has been fun, but I still say it's been more of a bipolar season for me than the first one. A lot of really great episodes, and some (thankfully not a majority) I felt really disappointed in. Season Three -- a full season without Lauren Faust, Meghan McCarthy is apparently doing Rob Renzetti's previous position for the show, Amy Keating Rogers presently isn't doing FIM anymore (she's working on Care Bears), and I also heard another new writer is on board for S3. We'll see if S3 can keep the magic going, and hopefully, it won't be just 13 episodes. For now, though, we'll watch the season finale and worry about the next season later.

4. InkBottleInc

InkBottleInc New Member

Dark Secret? What? Oh my, I can't wait for this now!

5. Kindness King

Kindness King New Member

Season Two has been great, so I'm looking forward to see how it ends. The only thing overall I don't like is how there weren't hints to this wedding coming up in past episodes, like how the Grand Galloping Gala was an important plot point in other episodes of Season One before "The Best Night Ever" aired. But that's fine, they probably didn't plan it out that far this time. I think Season Three should be fine. Season Two didn't have a noticeable drop in it's quality in it's second half.

As for the episode, with Twilight's brother marrying the Princess' niece; I guess that makes her Celestia's cousin-in-law? :sweat:

6. King9

King9 Embraced One

Finally. I'm going to have my bronies over, I'm making muffins, it's going to be awesome. I've been very impressed with season 2 and I'm openly optimistic about the finale. I can understand why fans would get bent out of shape because of a new princess and Twilight's brother showing up only now, but I'm excited.

7. Don_East

Don_East A regular character.

The only way Season 2 is superior Season 1 is in terms of animation. Consistency and characterization have been a step down IMHO.

Well, I hear this is gonna be the biggest & most ambitious two-parter yet. Well, it looks compelling, consider me hooked.

8. Vegard Aune

Vegard Aune Member

This has me a little concerned too. Now, I don't think Faust leaving the show has had any particularly noticable effect on the show's quality, but also losing the story editor and the writer of some of my favourite episodes does make me worry that the third season won't be able to maintain the quality of the first two... But that's a problem for another time, I suppose.
    For now, wedding between two characters whom we've never seen before, yay! ...Yeah, I do think the total lack of foreshadowing in the series for this whole thing is a bit weird, and one would think Twilight would have brought up the fact that she has a brother before now. Still, the previews have me pretty curious as to where they're gonna go with this, and was it just me who thought this latest preview-clip also made the animation look better than usual? Also, while I saw that Maxie was apparently not quite blown away by this episode, all the other sources I've seen reporting on it said that it was apparently 40 minutes straight of pure awesomeness, so I'm still choosing to be optimistic about this.

...And on another note, I'm really hoping that we'll at least get a small cameo from Luna. Seriously, even disregarding all the other occasions where she logically should be around and yet has been mysteriously absent, it really would not make any sense for her to not make an appearance at the wedding of a family member.

9. The Huntsman

I'm liking it so far, but they really should have foreshadowed this throughout the two seasons. I have a hard time buying how close Twilight and her brother are when this is the first time that the show has even acknowledged his existence. I have to wonder how late in the season's production this episode was thought up.

EDIT: And Luna gets a one second cameo. If that's all she gets, I wonder if fans will be content.

10. Bakertoons

Bakertoons Don't break a Pinkie Promise.

Spike and Pinkie playing with the toys is the best part.

So that's the solo Twilight song everyone's been waiting for.

11. InkBottleInc

InkBottleInc New Member

Even if Luna only gets a small cameo, I was content if only because they acknowledged her duty a small bit. Its nice to see that they didn't forget the princess of the night nor her powers! XD

Loving this so far. A buddy of mine pointed out that something is up with the princess since she doesn't know the sitter-dance so yeah...I'm aching to see what's up.

Edit: OH GAWD! The green eyes! Could this....no, it couldn't be!

Okay, I can't help it! WMG time- Either this is a new enemy all together or this could FINALLY be the time we see the 'thing' that Faust said turned Luna into Nightmare Moon!

12. MetroSparkster

MetroSparkster ...has nothing to say.

Wow. I'm really hating Cadence right now. But I guess we'll find out the truth behind this princess around the second half...

EDIT:

-And now we know, that wasn't the real Cadence. So who is it?

-Happy song, sad version of happy song, evil villain/good guy duet... This is Disney quality right here!

-I thought fake Cadence would be a draconiquis or an apprentice of Discord (or IS Discord), or even cursed before getting married. I have never been more wrong... This Changeling is downright wicked. She completely fooled and owned Celestia there (just lucky from the love energy reserves).

-And nice psyche out at the near end. I thought we'd see the Elements again, but true love is a nice substitute.

Overall, this was a great way to wrap up the season. The staff really went all out based on the animation and villain song. I'm almost worried how the next season will do.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2012
  13. InkBottleInc

InkBottleInc New Member

Did anyone else get flashbacks to The Little Mermaid during the villain song. The entire thing felt like the scene where Ursula is singing before showing her true form in the mirror. 8D

All I know is that I am honestly GRIPPED! I want to know what the heck is going on!

14. The Huntsman

I've disagreed with Maxie's reviews in the past, but never have I disagreed with him more. This episode isn't even over and it's already the best one that I've ever seen. I had been losing interest in this show. I even skipped a handful of episodes this season. But this has been remarkable.

15. InkBottleInc

InkBottleInc New Member

I'm just going to say this; My jaw DROPPED when I saw what happened to Celestia. Wow...just....wow. o_O

16. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

As cool as it is to see Princess Celestia act all tough, what we needed was to she her and Luna teamup. Where was Princess Luna? You think at least after Celestia,she would show up all pissed off of "how dare you do that my sister."

17. ToonFan83

ToonFan83 I'll grow old, but never up

I guess Luna only comes out at night.

18. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    This finale to Season 2 is going in my "Loved It" Tier, that's for certain...

This finale was awesome overall - a true showcase of what this show is capable of, despite there not being enough Luna for my tastes...

That ( and any other small, definitely small grievances IMHO not worth mentioning because they're so meaningless to me aside, Season 3 has a lot to live up to after this... My defenses are up and for good reason as always!

Peace.

19. Bunai

Bunai ShakeIT, BakeIT, BootyQuake IT

Part 1
    -Cheesy song was catchy but cheesy ^_^
    -Shining Armor is a nice stallion... a bit generic on the voice though.
    -Spike and Pinkie playing with the cake toppers was sooo cute. I hope they both hang out together more often.
    -Twilight getting smoked was actually disturbing, but she found the real Princess.

Part 2
    -Love the villain song, and yes, the Disney's Little Mermaid is exactly what I was thinking about
    -Wow, another canon species to create an OC. Awesome! Changeling ponies
    -Getting insane! Celestia got knocked out! Poor girl.
    -The power of love strikes again!! Complete with awesome music!
    -I am impressed that the Elements of Harmony were not needed.
    -lol@Applejack putting her hat on, just when I was thinking it was nice to see RD and AJ in girlish apparel. You can put them in anything, they will still defy it.

Pros:
    -The songs... makes me wish they had turned it into a musical.

Cons:
    -Not even hinting that Twilight had a relative ahead of time. I think Sweetie Bell was handled better.
    -No explanation of who Princess Cadance is related to... just kind of hanging there
    -So Luna can only come around at night? That is rather disappointing.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2012
  20. The Huntsman

I just would have liked the pony legion to actually do something. There were a lot of soldiers there, but the city fell due to an over-reliance on one soldier. I know I shouldn't expect My Little Pony to depict actual warfare, but why have soldiers if all they do is stand around and look important? Perhaps they're ceremonial, but the episode began with the mention of foreign threats. What good are pony soldiers? Why didn't any scouts report the large number of changelings amassing in the distance? Silly ponies.