1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (2012 Ongoing)" Comic Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Bakertoons, Nov 28, 2012.

?

Rate and Comment

1. *****

50.0%
  2. ****1/2

16.7%
  3. ****

16.7%
  4. ***1/2

16.7%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX Active Member

Didn't get #3 and #4. The former (Sirens) is supposed to be bad, while the latter (Nightmare Moon) is supposed to be OK but I wasn't interested in it.

FIENDship is Magic #5 was pretty good, outside of how odd it was that Chrysalis was responsible for all these things and even encountered Celestia multiple times yet only seemed to be recognized by Cadance in "A Canterlot Wedding", and how dumb Twilight was in the end. Chrysalis' plan would have been thwarted if Twilight levitated the book in instead of reaching into the room. I'm fine with it being revealed that Chrysalis is also long lived. Other than that, the art was as good as always, especially during Chrysalis' origin flashback showing that she was always this way, there was a nice creepy atmosphere in the present, and there were nice gags, especially Rarity's story.

2. SigmasonicX

Just read Friends Forever #16, and it was pretty fun and cute. I was unsure about the comic having a Velma like pony, since the alternate cover first showing her made it seem like Diamond Tiara just randomly had one around, but having Diamond hire a detective for a scavenger hunt made sense and Prancy Drew was a pretty fun character. I love that this universe now has a random kid detective who Twilight is a fan of. Her scene with Pinkie was also pretty amusing. The story did a good job making Diamond and Silver mean without having it get aggravating, although I did feel it was a bit out of character for them to actually know enough about the town residents to solve the clues. I did think it was cheap how the Cutie Mark Crusaders kept accidentally getting back on track, but I suppose it's fine because they didn't win the contest in the end.

The art was generally good, besides the fact that the adult ponies are way too tall compared to the fillies. Also, <snob voice>the Sailor Scouts have clearly already appeared as adults in previous issues, so there's no way they could be fillies for this story. I demand continuity from my cameos!</snob voice>

3. SigmasonicX

On the other hand, I wasn't that big of a fan of issue #30. It got more fun once the fighting started, but I thought it was largely dull and the way ponies picked sides felt out of character.

4. SigmasonicX

Just read Friends Forever #17, about Twilight and Big Mac, and I liked it a lot. Twilight was incredibly adorable here, including her expression when Big Mac's intellectual side hits on her, and Big Mac was pretty cute too. The covers and synopsis made it seem like Twilight would go crazy, and I'm glad she didn't really in this story.

5. SigmasonicX

Read Friends Forever #18, about Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy. It was cute and enjoyable, but predictable. It was nice to see that former bully be nice to Fluttershy now, but I would have preferred more interaction between the two, instead of going the surprise party route. You'd think that if they appreciate Fluttershy enough to celebrate her, that they'd know better than to hide the party by being awkward around her.

6. SigmasonicX

Just read Friendship is Magic #32, the start of the Night of the Living Apples story, and... it was OK. The story is clearly aiming for silliness, but it could have been a lot sillier in the first part. Things got a lot better once Pinkie turned into an apple, though. It was also annoying to see them once again make the enemies immune to magic to easily render Twilight useless. Hopefully things get more over-the-top in the next issue.

7. the_joker

the_joker Active Member

I've been slow with the comics, but I'm attempting to catch up.

I picked up the Pony Tales volumes, and on the whole, I enjoyed it.

The only issues I didn't quite like were Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy. Dash's issue was very weird. Fluttershy's felt too short, and the ending was pretty weak with her winning the award after learning to appreciate her art.

The standouts were Rarity, Spike, and Celestia. Rarity shows her knowledge of business, and her experiences and expressions were hilarious. Spike also manages to show competence, especially after making a mistake, and he does a good job of cleaning up his mess.

A story about Celestia in some FIM has been long overdue, and this one comes close to cutting it. My only problem with the issue is that she had to share the spotlight with another character. The new character was portrayed well, so no real complaints. Maybe there will be another story someday that will give some insight into the alicorn (haven't read Reflections yet), but this one is satisfactory.

The Luna issue was interesting. Apparently, she longs of excitement, which doesn't seem to be the case in the show. I wonder where that trait came from then. Regardless, the issue by itself was enjoyable, even though it raises some questions. Doesn't Luna do any of the royal duties at night? If she does, then she shouldn't be having that much trouble. Otherwise, I really have to wonder what kind of job this interpretation of Luna has.