1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (2012 Ongoing)" Comic Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Bakertoons, Nov 28, 2012.

?

Rate and Comment

1. *****

50.0%
  2. ****1/2

16.7%
  3. ****

16.7%
  4. ***1/2

16.7%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX Active Member

Comic issue #22 was decent enough. Things like the use of ropes (presumably tied to bells) instead of security lasers was cute. In the ending, I would have preferred stronger evidence for the thief's identity; an Ace Attorney villain would have continued to weasel his or her way out of the evidence the heroes gave, but whatever. It appears like the story could have more or less completely excised Fluttershy without affecting the plot, other than it being necessary for her Dangerous Mission Outfit to return. The interaction between Babs and Trixie was decently cute. Overall, this arc was OK.

2. SigmasonicX

Friends Forever #8 was a lot of fun, and had great art, of course. I didn't expect to see the Cattle Rustlers from main series #25 appear so early, though given that, it's kind of odd that they already had Applejack and Rarity defeat them so easily. It doesn't seem like #25 continues immediately after this, for the record. It was nice how it went through the travel movie checklist, with the water show, Mount Rushmore, the old plane in a barn, and finally the amusement park and the reveal that the trip was completely pointless. While it was nice to see Rartiy's businessmare side appear again, I did feel it was a bit of a disservice to Applejack to portray her as being so unaware of how to present a business plan and such, but it was fine for comedy, and I really liked how Rarity stopped fighting with Applejack and started helping her once she realized how Applejack intended to go about her meeting.

3. SigmasonicX

Comic issue #23 was very cute and a lot of fun. I thought it did a good job distinguishing the levels of intelligence of the pets and the ponies, with only Angel and Owloysius looking particularly smart, the former more so. I did think the use of
    . It was a bit surprising that
    . Still, it did a pretty good job, especially as a mostly dialogue-free comic. I don't know what the trophies in dialogue boxes were supposed to represent, though.

4. SigmasonicX

Read Friends Forever #9, and I was disappointed. In particular, Flim and Flam's conflict was resolved far more easily than I expected, and they didn't really do anything interesting with them being separated. They didn't even have them compete over the same crowd or anything! The art was good, however.

5. SigmasonicX

This year's comic annual special was a lot of fun. I really liked the new villains and how the Power Ponies were differentiated from the Main Six versions, particularly in how they acted like a typical "team that hates each other but still sticks together for some reason" that became so common starting in the 90's. It was amusing seeing Mistress Mare-velous acting like Wolverine in the 90's X-Men cartoon (all gruff and team-hating, but incapable of actually being violent), and... uh... Rainbow Dash being more of a Spock character. I liked the gag of how when the Power Ponies get their powers stolen, Mistress Mare-velous just loses her lasso. The "training montage" was a lot of fun. The amount of two-legged standing in this issue was a bit bothersome, though. As for the backup story, the art was good, but it was eh. It was also weird that the human Mane-iac also called herself that, and that the Dougworld version of the comic is still called Power Ponies (yet Dougworld Dash finds it odd that a four-legged Mane-iac appeared).

6. SigmasonicX

Just read comic issue #24, and I'm torn. On one hand, the art was really cute and there were some fun gags. On the other hand, I really don't like how they revealed that Discord had multiple friends throughout time, with Discord even referring to the butterdragon as his "last friend before [Fluttershy]". It's one thing to have some odd continuity issues, but this contradicts Discord's entire character arc! Also, though I was fine with it, some people may not like that there is some pretty heavy (for this series) shipping between Fluttershy and Discord, with an implied past love interest getting jealous of Fluttershy, and Fluttershy getting so upset about that love interest in particular when she yells at Discord in the end that she faints after flying for only a bit.

7. SigmasonicX

Just read Friends Forever #10, about Fluttershy and Iron Will, and I didn't find it very interesting, but there was nothing too bad. The worst part was how everyone except Fluttershy viewed Iron Will so badly, which felt out of character to me. For the record, I did think Rarity and Pinkie were out of character in "Putting Your Hoof Down" with their treatment of Iron Will too. Otherwise, the story was just rather trite. Every scene had an obvious punchline, there were no exceptionally cute scenes, and there was nothing that exciting. I suppose it is interesting that Iron Will is married and has a son, though we don't see the rest of his family.

8. SigmasonicX

I read "Friends Forever" #11 (Rainbow Dash and Spitfire), and I thought it was good. It was probably the first "official" story since season 1 where I actually liked Spitfire. The art style was different, but I thought it worked. It was pretty adorable how Dash got attached to the one filly that acted like Fluttershy; and generally, it was nice to see Dash act all responsible and such without feeling out of character, which shows that she did indeed develop.

9. SigmasonicX

Just read issue #25. First of all, how odd for Comixology to make the primary cover the one that has nothing to do with the story.

The story was pretty fun, outside of the huge issue of Twilight just straight up refusing to use her magic against the Cattle Rustlers arbitrarily. Making up an excuse for her to be absent would have been a lot less frustrating, IMO. At least in Star Trek, the prime directive is an established thing and they usually find a way to work around it. Still, Twilight did have fun moments like that lame joke she told, which is saved by the panel of her giggling to herself afterward. If I remember correctly, the Cattle Rustler leader wasn't present in the Friends Forever Rarity/Applejack issue, which explains why they are so much tougher this time around. The "intense expressions" art was all pretty good, and I'm reminded of those moments in The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck where Scrooge got angry.

It was interesting that we got three different pieces of extra content. The tumbleweed story and Spike's cosplay were cute. The Zecora story had really neat art.

10. SigmasonicX

Friends Forever #12 was pretty fun, though it went on a bit too long, I felt. The art was pretty nice and there were nice visual gags, though one thing that bothered me about the board game part is that Pinkie's spaces moved you back while Twilight's moved you ahead, which doesn't match the flavor it was going for. At the end, when Twilight joined in on eating the snacks, I was glad to see that Twilight was able to stop eating on her own, and was able to convince Pinkie to stop eating, instead of just ending with Twilight joining in like I feared.

The fact that there were two snack servers and one of them had princess curls made me wonder if they were supposed to be a reference to Pretty Cure or something, but no, it seems like they are original characters. Their designs are nice, but their names are a bit too on the nose. Fawn Doo, Marcie Pan.

#90 SigmasonicX, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014
  11. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Didn't stop the comic from having an anime reference though (in this case, a pair of ponies that resemble Ryuko and Mako from Kill la Kill).

12. SigmasonicX

Both the Equestria Girls Holiday Special and main series #26 have gotten pretty negative reactions, and thus, I haven't bought them. Well, I wasn't going to buy the former regardless, but this will be the first main series issue that I haven't bought.

Boiled down, the issues people have with the two stories are:

13. SigmasonicX

I just read Friends Forever #13, and it was pretty enjoyable. I just sat there softly laughing for a bit at the panel where Rarity dramatically checks on Sweetie's health, and the scenes of the latter falling over were cute. It was a bit bothersome how Rarity had the exact same expression for several panels, with her eyes half closed, but it wasn't too bad. Rarity showing Babs around the high fashion part of town was fun, especially with the crazy hairdresser. Having Sapphire Shores suddenly be a font of wisdom was a bit odd, but I'll allow it. The unnamed sport was amusing with all of the Rob Liefeld versions of character names. While the Elsa cameo was cute, it was a bit odd that it got such a big panel. Everyone was portrayed pretty well in this comic.

14. SigmasonicX

Just read Friends Forever #14. The fact that there is a dragon ghetto in Fillydelphia that has apparently been there for a while results in a lot of odd things concerning dragons. Why was there so little information about dragons available in "Dragon Quest" and "Secret of My Excess" if there are even dragons writing superhero books? And Spike's status as an assistant is even odder now that we know that there are friendly dragon families who could have taken him in. Other than that, the issue was decent enough. The fangirl dragon was fun. It was disappointing that Luna didn't really do much and that there wasn't a confrontation with a big dragon like implied by the cover, though.

15. SigmasonicX

Friendship is Magic #27 and #28 are another comic arc that I have decided to skip, although I hear it's better than #25-26.

16. SigmasonicX

Just read Friends Forever #15. I didn't like the ending much, in that Mayor Mare never actually owns up to the fact that her bureaucracy is terribly structured, or at least never seems like she really intends to do anything about it, but the rest of the issue was a lot of fun. I thought the art during the crisis at the end was great, though because MY HEADCANONS, I didn't like that Sweetie Belle was able to use magic to transform Twilight into a state where she couldn't use magic.

As for Friendship is Magic #29, it was OK. It was really odd how they tried to play it both ways, by saying that the wrestlers don't actually try to hurt each other (implying that it's staged), yet still presenting the matches as actual fights. And though there's precedence of Cheerilee being surprisingly strong, I didn't like how she was naturally good at wrestling. The wrestling also wasn't quite as goofy as I would have liked.

17. SigmasonicX

Just read FIENDship is Magic #1 - Sombra, and it was really good. It was a pretty standard story of the villain trying to live life happily but having a dark destiny that he can't escape from and eventually accepts, but sad ponies makes it sad. At the start, I was going to cry foul on Sombra being portrayed as developmentally behind the others when he turns into the least sapient of pony-like villains, and then on Hope being a manic pixie dream girl, but I felt both were handled well enough. One moment that did take me out of the story was an Attack on Titan poster right at an important plot development, though, and Twilight's and Cadance's dialogue at the start was oddly stilted. I'm a bit disappointed that the show will never follow up on this--with shadow ponies still under the Crystal Empire, Princess Amore shattered into crystals but potentially able to come back to life if her shards are reunited, and it being unknown what happened to Hope--but perhaps the comics will.

18. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

I thought Hope was going to be the Ren to Sombra's Obito, I am glad they didn't go down that cliche root.

I have to wonder is Cadence related to Princess Amor or Hope?

The one I am looking forward to is issue 3 the Sirens, I want to see my theory on their back story on them originally being these struggle pony aspiring singers that everyone laughed at because they had to talent and than got a hold of dark magic that turned them into evil Sirens, that was kind of implied, so we will see.

19. SigmasonicX

You'll be disappointed then. The writer has already said in an interview that they aren't going to cover how the Sirens came to be, but rather just how they became villains. They'll be Sirens from the start of the issue.

20. SigmasonicX

Read FIENDship is Magic #2 - Tirek, and like others have said elsewhere, it's odd where it chooses to end, or rather, what the story chooses to cover. It isn't the story of Tirek coming to Equestria, or the story of Tirek deciding to do that, or even the story of Tirek starting to become power hungry. He's largely unchanged from start to finish. The issue was a decently interesting look at what Tirek's life was at, though the story presented wasn't nearly as interesting as Sombra's.

I'm not a fan of the plot device of "this character is so strong because this other character was strong and taught him", but they made Tirek's teacher sufficiently weaker than Tirek that it didn't come off as odd. It was funny how the unicorn was presented as this mysterious and powerful thing, coming off even as a demon that was demanding to be released. I did like how Discord was present but didn't actually do anything, with the implication that he also came from this land. One thing I thought was odd, though, was the fact that Tirek's father had diplomatic relations with Celestia. The implication of the "Twilight's Kingdom" flashback seemed to be that Celestia had no clue what sort of race Tirek and Scorpan were and where they came from.