"My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (2012 Ongoing)" Comic Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Bakertoons, Nov 28, 2012.

?

Rate and Comment

1. *****

50.0%
  2. ****1/2

16.7%
  3. ****

16.7%
  4. ***1/2

16.7%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bakertoons

Bakertoons Don't break a Pinkie Promise.

One of the highest-selling comic books, today is the release of the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic comic book through IDW.

I'm still waiting for my print copy, which I pre-ordered back in August. But to those who already read it, what do you think?

[​IMG]

Written by Katie Cook
    Art by Andy Price

Description: Welcome to Ponyville, home of Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, and all your other favorite Ponies! Something's not right in the town though, as some of the inhabitants are acting very, very strange! It's up to the Mane Six to find the source of the weirdness before it's too late!

Note: There are 19 variant covers for the first issue alone, majority of which are store-exclusives.

Comments?

2. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

Ah, there's the thread now.
    Got the Rarity cover. Would be nice to have one of the superhero variants, but I'm not flying to the US to pay $15 on a single issue.

So, I quite dug this one. Cook gets everyone voice's right enough, particularly Pinkie and Fluttershy, and the tone quite differs from the show, seeing as it's targeted at the older fans almost exclusively. Glad to see Queen Chrysalis is involved, which may give her a little more characterization than her original appearance. Confessingly, she's practically my top fave character for no strong reason. (She just looks so bloody cool.) Really loved the reference to the '70s Invasion Of The Body Snatchers and Magnum P.I. And lastly, I felt I got my $4 worth as the comic wasn't too quick a read, plus there'll be spotlight backups like I hoped, just like the Adventure Time series.

My one sorta-con is that while Andy Price's art is great for the covers, it's little too quirky and cluttered with details on the inside. It's not bad really, he just needs to rein it in a little more. Like Don Rosa's duck stories.

3. SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX Active Member

I got this issue legally through IDW's digital reader (IDW Publishing), using it for the first time, and I found the interface to be a bit cumbersome but it worked well enough. The digital version comes with all 6 of Andy Price's covers, which is great.

The issue itself is great, quickly setting up the story and having resolution right in the first chapter, but still setting up for the next 3 issues with a cliffhanger. The characters are all presented well, though the Cutie Mark Crusaders are all quite one-note here, and all of the main characters have memorable moments. There are a ton of gags, both visual and verbal, which generally work well and are kid-friendly while still having some winks to the fans, such as the implication that Dash got (sugar) high on the day of the season 2 finale and the role Derpy plays in this issue. In particular, the issue has great expressions, and I heard all the dialog in the respective character's voice.

At the end is an amusing two-page short story.

Bleedingcool has a positive review from someone who has not watched the show, so it appears that the issue is still good for newcomers.
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/11/...ip-is-magic-1/

4. SigmasonicX

I got this issue legally through IDW's digital reader (IDW Publishing), using it for the first time, and I found the interface to be a bit cumbersome but it worked well enough. The digital version comes with all 6 of Andy Price's covers, which is great.

The issue itself is great, quickly setting up the story and having resolution right in the first chapter, but still setting up for the next 3 issues with a cliffhanger. The characters are all presented well, though the Cutie Mark Crusaders are all quite one-note here, and all of the main characters have memorable moments. There are a ton of gags, both visual and verbal, which generally work well and are kid-friendly while still having some winks to the fans, such as the implication that Dash got (sugar) high on the day of the season 2 finale and the role Derpy plays in this issue. In particular, the issue has great expressions, and I heard all the dialog in the respective character's voice.

At the end is an amusing two-page short story.

5. Bakertoons

Okay, I just downloaded this through Comixology (let's just say the shipping department is working overtime now). Let me just say that the comics are really good. Great drawings, LOTS of funny gags, and the characters are faithful.

The faces are really crazy here. It's a bit extreme at times.

6. soundmonkey44

soundmonkey44 Melancholic Man.

I loved the book the art the story the pacing, everything just clicked! I may just have a new favorite all-ages comic.

7. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

This was really great. One of the best comics that you can also give to kids out there. I thought they captured the voice and feel of the show really well both the story and art. I liked that the art was slightly more squash and stretch, that helps in comics to give a feeling of movement. And the jokes were just hilarious, like Rainbow's sugar-related memory-loss and the Roadhouse reference. There's a lot of stuff in here to make Bronies happy, too, but none of it is obtrusive or makes the story hard to understand for kids.

It's as good as the Adventure Time comic although with slightly less focus on indie cred backup stories.

8. Bakertoons

TFAW just sent me an email saying that they're finally sending my copies (I pre-ordered two copies). I'm looking forward to seeing this in print.

The comic is very much sold out in most shops. I called the nearest comic book store in my area (about one hour drive) and asked if they had Ponies in stock. The lady who answered talked just like Applejack, I swear. She said "They're gone. They came in this week and they're all gone."

Supposedly the comic is in THIRD printing. Honestly, even I'm surprised that they sold so many copies. I'm just thankful I pre-ordered back in August.

9. Bakertoons

I just got my copy in the mail. Yeah, if you haven't seen this in print, I highly recommend a hard-copy. The printing's terrific.

10. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

Check out My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic #2 Midtown exclusive comic cover
    It's only the cover.

11. SigmasonicX

Issue 2 has been delayed until January 2nd. The third issue is still planned for January 16, but at this point I think it's safe to expect for that to be delayed too.

12. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

I'd rather have a really good late comic than a rushed on-time one, so I have no problem with the delay.

13. Bakertoons

The delay is because the shipping service the publisher's using has gone on strike. The comic's otherwise finished and they even worked overtime just so they can get it out in time. So this is out of IDW's hand.

You know, with two delays in a row the least they can do is release issue #3 one week EARLY to compensate.

14. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

Upon viewing the print issue of #2...

[​IMG]

Another highly enjoyable issue, but didn't much care for the cover. I know the character's noses may be hard to grasp for artists (I certainly know from experience), but they needn't be that big. A plus, however, was the sequence with the troll, which came off a bit like a parody of bronies themselves, or at least, the eyes of those who look upon the show's fanbase with ridicule. A fair share of laughs here and I dug the Optimus Prime cameo during said scene. Doesn't top Donald Sutherland Pony though.

15. SigmasonicX

Just got and read the second issue of the comic. I really liked the encounter with the troll, and I liked the design of the spiders and the comedy they provided, but I thought that the main characters, especially Twilight, came off as a bit too weak, but eh, power levels in a pony series and all that. I also felt that it would take a bit more than what was presented to get the group to split up, but I liked how everyone stopped arguing once the spiders came into the picture and saved the continued arguing until they were out of immediate danger. That said, I did like what statements set the characters off, especially with Applejack and Rarity. One other thing is that I did like how Pinkie was the one to solve the spider problem, since from previous previews I thought Fluttershy was going to be the solution, and that would have felt like a retread of the manticore in the second episode.

The expressions were as great as always, as were all the background gags, including Optimus Prime and direct David Bowie references. I also really liked the map at the end, though I believe it was released a while ago. Also, I do have to continue expressing my amazement at how much happens in this series compared to many other modern comics. Just in this issue two major threats were encountered and resolved, and there was still room for a cut to Chrysalis and the group splitting up.

Looking forward to the next issue... which isn't too far away now, due to the delayed release of this issue!

16. Bakertoons

Finally came in the mail, about a week after it was released.

1. "I wiw cawl dis one George" is HILARIOUS. Love those references!
    2. I love the Chrysalis/Crusaders interactions, the ones that were there at least.
    3. The pacing is much better. The conflict between the three is handled well, I thought.
    4. As usual, the artwork is fantastic.

Can't wait to read issue 3.

17. ReijiAzuma

ReijiAzuma Gah, cuteness! My weakness!

I still haven't received my copy from Midtown Comics yet... guess I'm sticking with TFAW. I got my package with the Collector's case pretty quick from them, so hopefully this means ordering the other issues also won't be as long of a wait.

18. soundmonkey44

Some bad news, certain exclusive covers of MLP:FIM #2 have cracks on the side of them, this problem has been reported to be on The RI-A, Larry's & Midtown Comics covers for issue #2 *sadly I have ordered all of those covers, 2 have come in and I can confirm these problems*

The Regular A-C Covers as well as the Hastings & Hot Topic Covers for issue #2 seem to be fine though.

Sigh..hopefully this doesn't happen again, those special covers cost a pretty penny, and it doesn't encourage one to buy more if they come in crummy!

19. Bakertoons

I checked my copy of RI-A. Yeah, there does seem to be crease marks on the spine.

It doesn't look too bad, though. I honestly didn't notice until somebody pointed it out. But I'm one of those people who is not picky about the quality.

20. soundmonkey44

You say that now but would you fill the same if you had bought one of those $60.00 Micro-Prints? I think not.

Again overall yeah not a big deal, but I do hope we don't see a repeat of this error with the RI & Larry's Variants for Issue #3 & #4, otherwise I may just play it safe and stick to the basic covers.