1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

My Little Pony: FIM The Movie Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by trance2009, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

I know many films that make money despite being bad. But I think MLP's popularity will guarantee it making the money to far surpass the Emoji movie. The bigger issue would be the reception. Ponyfans are hyped about the film, and that hype could lead to them not liking the film for not living up to that hype.

The fact that it's MLP, should mean that it should perform well with it's popularity.

• Like Like x 2
  2. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

For a 2D animated movie with its animation done in Canada based on a toyetic franchise with a specific demographic, and a niche demographic, that's kind of a lot.
    I was expecting $25-40 million.

• Like Like x 1
  4. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

I'd rather wait until there's a better source than 4chan.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ShadowBeast

I'd rather wait for info that comes from someone behind the film before I take it as fact.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PinkiePie97

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. SweetShop209

Actually, I don't think a 65 million dollar budget is too far out there. If the movie was just using the same old Flash for the series, had writers only from tv, and sticking only with series regulars, then a lower 30 million dollar budget sounds reasonable. However, given that this movie has 8 American celebrities, two writers who normally don't work on television (Joe Ballarini & Rita Hsiao), has a more expensive animation method (I'm pretty sure Toonboom is expensive even by tv standards, so a theatrical scale would be more costly), and has three voice directors (Terry Klassen handles the crew in Vancouver while IMDb mentions Curtis Koeller and Jamie Thomason working with the American voice actors), and all of it adds up to something pretty costly. Besides, didn't Sponge Out Of Water make like 300 million dollars on a 75 million dollar budget? Theatrical movies based on tv shows usually don't have 75 million dollar budgets, hence why I don't think 65 million is too far fetched.

8. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

When that's put in perspective like that I suppose that's fair. Even the Simpsons movie's budget was in that range.

Still, I can't believe this cost more than The Captain Underpants movie. I was just hoping 2D animated films can be produced cheaper than CG films and be given an incentive to make a comeback, but they're budgets have grown significantly over the years, and CG animation have certain production advantages over it.
    Ah well, it'll still be interesting to see how this does and the impact the film will have in the industry, if any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

I find it very hard to believe this is a $65 million movie. Maybe production + global advertising would be that high, but this is one of the first films Hasbro is more or less funding themselves (the Transformers movies are largely Paramount) and I can't imagine them dropping that much solely on production. The Ouija and Jem movies were both <$10 million. Animation obviously costs more than smaller concept live-action films with no-name actors, but MLP is also a 2D animated film (the last major one of those in NA was what, Pooh in 2011?) that's not historically viewed as gender neutral. Would they really do a $65 million bet on that?

I don't really see anything in this movie that makes me think it's that expensive. Yes, it looks better than the TV show, but it does so in the same way a film based on a kids anime does. Toon Boom isn't really expensive to animate in. Nelvana's been using it for all of their TV shows for years (the developer is their sister company). Disney uses it on some of their TV shows. Even OLM in Japan uses it on Pokemon. Voice-wise, well, I' sure the Vancouver crew got a nice payday, but there's no way they're commanding The Simpsons cast costs. Yes, there are celebrities, but no one's really a huge name and they're probably all in supporting roles. I'd expect this to be a $15-$30 million production. With a budget in that range, even <$100 million WW would be successful.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Though it wasn't really marketed as such, the Spongebob movie was heavily 2D and came out in 2015.

Takao raises a good point. For their first animated film their financing, $65 million on a film mostly targeted towards girls and a niche audience is a risky move. Even The Star, a faith based movie from SPA, targeted towards a specific group, is being produced at a budget of $18 million.
    If Hasbro wants this to work, they'd play it safe with smaller budget. Otherwise, their feature animation plans (outside of the planned Tranformers movies) will go up in smoke.

11. SweetShop209

12. ShadowBeast

All the more reason to support the movie then.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SweetShop209

• Like Like x 1
  14. PinkiePie97

• Like Like x 1
  15. PinkiePie97

I haven't actually seen them on TV yet, but here's a few TV spots:

EDIT: This person saw one on ABC:

• Like Like x 1
    #115 PinkiePie97, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  16. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Jeez a couple of these shots look like the characters went through some nasty Photoshop filter! Gross.
    Still, glad there's TV promos now actually on TV. There's hope for this film yet!

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. justacartoonfan12

justacartoonfan12 New Member

Is it wrong I hope this film does well so the studios can see that interest for 2D Animation is still out there?

18. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

A lot of people are thinking that, including myself.
    But only if the movie exceeds expectations and becomes a hit. Then again they might not consider it since the film's based on a show that's 2D animated.

Aside from that, it can also lead to more animated films based on toy franchises, and more animated movies targeted towards girls. If anything, taking into account the success of Spongebob movie, will lead to more popular cartoons getting theatrical films.
    Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Nickelodeon scrambles to release next years Invader Zim TV movie into cinemas.

19. SweetShop209

Then you know what we have to do then right? Go see this movie in theaters by any means necessary. It'll at least be a step in the right direction for both 2D films and movies based on tv shows.

20. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

I am going to try to see this movie as soon as I can, however it does open on the same weekend as NYCC and I will be attending, it is going to be tough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.