1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

My Little Pony: FIM The Movie Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by trance2009, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

Mike Vogel says the full trailer is coming soon.

Daniel Ingram posted a short video of the score being recorded.

The MLP movie came up when Liev Schreiber was on Today and Ellen. On the Ellen video, start it at 1:34, and the Today video is just the part where MLP came up.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. PinkiePie97

3. PinkiePie97

Here's the trailer:

A poster has also been released.
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
    #63 PinkiePie97, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  4. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

That looked fantastic. Though I'm guessing the villain either takes down the Celestia and Luna or they are somewhere else on some Royal duty?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

I could gush about how incredibly beautiful, colorful, and alive the animation is, but if I did that I'd literally be here all night.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

That was just beautiful. I'm really looking forward to this movie even more now.

7. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

It looks fun, still not sure how well it's going to do in the BO but it definitely looks fun.

It looks like very reminiscent of pre-Shrek era Dreamworks, for better and worse, akin to something like Sinbad Legend of the Seven Seas or fittingly enough Spirit Stallion of the Cimarron. The 2D animations look positively lovely and fluid, while the CG...well, it's not the best looking to put it kindly.

Though like I said, it looks really fun and very in-tune with the rest of the series. I hope it follows the examples of the show's better episodes, and out-does them.

Again, it being 2D leaves me skeptical how well it's going to do but, a recent video by Rebeltaxi made an interesting point about nostalgia and how it's a major selling factor nowadays, and like I said the trailer called to mind early Dreamworks which is a nostalgia market left untapped to say nothing about the MLP brand being an 80s brand and those already proving to be a powerhouse nostalgia re-branding.

So maybe, just maybe this movie has a shot in succeeding in more ways than we think.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The movie being in 2D is not the issue, it's the fact that it's friggin MLP. Parents will see it with their daughters, but will little boys go to see it? Will plenty of bronies see it? Does it even need to do well at the box office at all, what with presales taken into account?

Regardless, the animation definitely looks like a step up from the show, it looks adventurous and exciting, so I'm sure it'll be a fun movie. I barely watch the show anymore, but the latter episodes still manage to be entertaining, so I know this will be too.

Also I wonder if this is successful, along with the Spongebob movie from years before, will we see a new wave of animated movies based on shows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  9. Gear3dGryph0n

Gear3dGryph0n Active Member

If we're talking about box office numbers than it's best to think not domestically, but internationally. The international box office is factoring far more into Hollywood's decisions today. It's why we have more Ice Age and Transformers sequels even though both franchises have been slipping at the North American box office.

According to Google Trends, interest is the greatest in Latin America and Eastern Europe. https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=/m/0czdsgs

That should factor a lot into how the film performs internationally. While Latin America isn't as explosive as China or India, it's still a fast-growing market with a low average age (29.6 years vs. 37.8 in the US and 39 in Canada).

Looking at this trailer, it's a beautifully-animated 2D theatrical movie, something we haven't had much of around here in a long time, and it takes its characters to a lot of places, some of which are familiar to the show and others all-new. The blend of characters, new and old, even consisting of characters that were originally incidental, recurring, or one-off, is going to be a real treat. As is usual for theatrical films based on current cartoons, the visual style we get is a more polished, shined-up, detailed version of that from the show.

As others have mentioned, despite the film's artistic merits, it still has to overcome the stigma attached to the My Little Pony name. Interest in FiM also peaked in early 2014 and the movie will have to try to compensate for that. As much as the films and TV try to shake the franchise's image, its reputation precedes it. In this case, I predict the movie will do better on the DVD/Blu-Ray/digital release when it happens than in the box office.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

To add to my earlier post, one thing is for sure, the 2D animation in this is a lot more fluid than the 2D animation in Spongebob, which still looked TV quality for the most part.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AnotherRandomGuy

Which looks like an interesting contrast with the CG, which again...doesn't look the best in some shots.

• Like Like x 1
  12. PinkiePie97

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. AnotherRandomGuy

99 Min? Hm, that's a good sign if anything given The Croods and Rise of the Guardians were a few minutes shorter, 98 and 97 min respectively.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

As much as I'm glad it's in 2d animation, but I don't think this will change Disney or any other studios mind about 2d animation not selling well. And even it does well on the box office, it's probably most likely the brony fandoms. I guess that's maybe why Disney didn't bother to look at Spongebob Squarepants Out of Water movie's box office numbers because it's too franchisey. To make the studios change their mind about 2d animation, it has to have an original story, not based on a franchise. It's just my opinion, that's all.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't see why bronies coming to see this movie would be an issue. Unlike on TV, it doesn't matter the demographic of the people who see it isn't a factor. So long as it makes money that's all that matters. (Of course, being Hasbro, toy sales might be a huge factor as well)

I don't know if 80's/90s nostalgia is starting to die down, but maybe Disney might make a 2D animated feature based off the Disney Afternoon shows if the MLP movie does well.
    If they do, the animation will undoubtedly be outsourced, but I doubt audiences will care.

Speaking of animation, a lot of people are getting really riled up over the movie and if it counts as "traditional" animation. What do you guys think? I heard some of it is, while a lot is done with character rigs.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

That may actually be the case, since the actual movements seem to vary in terms of fluidity. But they still manage to look far more alive and expressive than Flash ever could regardless of when they are and aren't using rigs.

I think the fact it looks so alive compared to the show is the biggest compliment I can give the animation, in fact (which is saying a ton BTW).

Apparently the contrast in the trailer we got was slightly off, as not only was it made a month ago but a German trailer came out the other day (mostly the same as ours, with about 10 seconds extra footage replacing other shots), but anyone with a strong eye will notice the more natural lighting there.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gear3dGryph0n

They are using Toon Boom Harmony which is a definite step up from the Flash standard that the show uses. It looks far more shined-up and polished than the show does even though I think they're running into some issues with color balance and combining 3D backgrounds/effects with 2D characters.

Most of the people I follow on Twitter don't like the look of the movie, but then again most of them are purists and it's Twitter. Whether you like the look of this movie or not depends largely on whether you liked the show.

I wouldn't count this as traditional animation because of the use of software for character animation. I think the boundary should be whether software is used for just coloring (still technically traditional) or for layout, inbetweening, and keyframing. They could probably be going traditional for some sequences, then again, so did the show at some points. The whole thing reminds me of the debate over whether motion capture was really animation a few years ago (I believe it is because it still uses constructed characters and environments).

Either way, we especially don't see a lot of 2D digital animation in theaters or features in general save for foreign and/or indie films. 2D animation is largely constrained to TV because it's seen as "behind the curve" with 3D taking over features, but with a backlash against all the stylistic Pixar/DreamWorks clones giving rise to some stylized 3D films, there could be a niche for it, as well as the rise of smaller-budget films. MLP could be a barometer for the future of these films but it shouldn't be the only one because it's such a unique case (in both good and bad ways).

• Like Like x 2
  18. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

I've heard it's made from Toon Boom Harmony.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Is it really fair to determine if something is "traditional" because of the software? Frame-by-frame animation can be done in both Flash and Toonboom. Such as Superjail and Princess and the Frog, respectively.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Gear3dGryph0n

I think that's where the distinction should be made, as in whether it's done frame-by-frame or otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.