1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

My Little Pony: FIM The Movie Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by trance2009, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  2. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

Well I like those designs, Capper especially looks adorable

The meta explanation is bipedal cats have existed since G1, I for one don't mind. He kinda reminds me of the Cat Sithe from Celtic mythology

• Like Like x 1
  3. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

Zoe Saldana just revealed her character on Facebook.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ShadowBeast

It's still strange and out of place for this version. Did they have regular cats in G1 as well?

• Like Like x 1
  5. AnotherRandomGuy

Yes. G1 was a hodgepodge of various fantasy characters and races. There were anthropomorphic animals along side regular ones, sometimes in the same episode.

FiM has had it's odd instances of this too, the Diamond Dogs existing with relatively regular dogs for example.

6. ShadowBeast

That's true with the Diamond Dogs, though they were more dog-like mutants than actual anthro-dogs.

7. PinkiePie97

Uzo Aduba has revealed her character.

• Like Like x 1
  8. the_joker

the_joker Active Member

A bunch of new characters in the movie? Not a good sign since I doubt there's enough time for all of them to show their stuff, and I don't know if they'll be integrated into the main show.

There are even some new royal ponies, or at least royal horse-like characters. Great. A certain alicorn will most likely be left in the dust again. I'm getting tired of complaining about this kind of stuff. At least the movie hasn't come out yet, so there's some chance I might actually end up liking it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

The gist that people are getting is that the Mane Six will be traveling to various locations, and that these are the characters that they will be meeting in these new lands.

The theory that's going around in Equestria Daily is that these royal characters are the long-awaited Sea Ponies. Personally, it's either that or Flutter Ponies.

• Like Like x 1
  10. PinkiePie97

Are you sure they could be Flutter Ponies? I don't know about Novo, but Skystar has what looks a lot like fins rather than hooves.

• Like Like x 1
  11. PinkiePie97

Michael Peña's character has been revealed.

• Like Like x 1
    #51 PinkiePie97, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  12. PinkiePie97

• Like Like x 1
    #52 PinkiePie97, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  13. PinkiePie97

• Like Like x 1
  14. PinkiePie97

The first teaser is out.

• Like Like x 2
    #54 PinkiePie97, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  15. Gear3dGryph0n

Gear3dGryph0n Active Member

Unfortunately, some news regarding the trailer from art director Rebecca Dart regarding the poor shadow rendering in the trailer, caused by a file conversion issue.

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2017/04/art-director-for-mlp-movie-explains.html?m=1

Absolutely embarrassing for Lionsgate, a company notably bad with animated films, having released some down-ticket fare such as Alpha & Omega and Norm of the North and probably hoping for better luck here with Hasbro's help. Of course, the film isn't broken yet because it's only a teaser trailer, but considering they have a serious reputation problem, they have to bounce back from this.

Although as a (for most intents and purposes, former) fan of MLP, I think this film will do well with the franchise's core target as well as the adult fanbase, I unfortunately think this film is going to get beat at the box office domestically.

Its release date is in early October, which puts it ahead of the Holiday rush which will see the releases of Coco, The Star, and Ferdinand and after Lego Ninjago in September. It's likely it could run decently in mid-October when Ninjago gets long in the tooth and in the dead before November, but I think a March release would have been a better fit, especially given that the film is 2D animated, which will likely put it at a disadvantage in the general market compared to the 3D stuff. I could be wrong, however, and if that's so I'd be glad to see a 2D, digitally-animated film do well enough to get others to consider it. The upside is that the MLP franchise posts some of its highest numbers in Latin America, which will help the global take.

Whether it be for technical or scheduling reasons, I wouldn't be surprised if a delay was announced. It'll probably be a decent little movie all things considered but I don't doubt it will have its troubles.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Shadow issues notwithstanding, I am digging the animation style and I am excited just to see these characters get the cinematic treatment. Not much more can really be said at this point though; it's hard to tell how well the movie will do in the box office. I mean, it's safe to say it will do well with the kids and bronies, but it's a little hard to imagine anyone outside of those to want to go see it, at least in the theater.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

So a My Little Pony movie with big stars, what no Danny DeVito, no Cloris Leachman? I thought we are going to get some big stars. Ha ha ha.

Seriously sounds great.

• Like Like x 1
  18. AnotherRandomGuy

This is the first publicly advertised traditionally animated theatrical film since "Winnie the Pooh" in 2011. The second "Spongebob" movie rather opted to fool it's audience into thinking it would be something akin to "Smurfs" or something.

No matter how it turns out this should be interesting, especially if it's a hit at the box office against all odds.

19. Gear3dGryph0n

Gear3dGryph0n Active Member

It's actually made in the appropriately named Toon Boom Harmony, which is really the top-of-the-line animation software right now and has pretty much supplanted Flash as the industry standard. If it legitimately got you to think this was traditional animation, I think it did its job. :)

Here's an impressive list of productions that already use the software: https://www.toonboom.com/company/customer-productions

With all of that said, though, this is the first time in 10 years a current cartoon has made its theatrical film debut in wide release (last was The Simpsons), and the next one will be The Loud House in 2020 barring the possibility of a likely Adventure Time movie getting out of development hell.

Another thing of interest about MLP's likely box office performance is also the fact that MLP was never the ratings powerhouse that SpongeBob and The Simpsons were. Much of that is due to the very limited ratings draw the Hub was and its lack of distribution and profile in the cable landscape. Although the fanbase remains active, its moment in the mainstream is largely over and the show's ratings tailed off especially when the Discovery Family brand took over. Also consider that MLP rose in the more fragmented media landscape of the 2010s while the other two shows rose on cable in the early 2000s and broadcast in the 90s, at the peak of their respective media.

For comparison, the highest-rated Simpsons, "Bart Gets an F" (October 11, 1990) pulled in an estimated 33.6 million viewers, more people than there are in all of Saudi Arabia. The highest rated SpongeBob, "Atlantis SquarePantis", attracted 9.22 million viewers on November 12, 2007, a number roughly the population of Cairo, or the equivalent of all of New York City plus Yonkers, Newark, and Jersey City.

MLP pulled in 578000 viewers with "The Crystal Empire" on November 10, 2012, a number slightly larger than the population of Albuquerque. "Magical Mystery Cure" could likely have performed as well but the only numbers available are year-over-year percentages.

• Like Like x 1
  20. PinkiePie97

• Informative Informative x 1
    #60 PinkiePie97, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.