1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

'Muppet Babies' (2018) on Disney Junior: News and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by 19MagiswordLane, Oct 17, 2016.

1. 19MagiswordLane

19MagiswordLane Toonzone's Crooner of Carnage, babe!

2. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

3. Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster Active Member

....really conflicted on the new Bobbi character, and Piggy's jealousy of said character. I mean what, did Piggy and Kermit have a loud break-up before watching Pitch-Perfect 2, causing her to hate the face of Elizabeth Banks? Because unless they are adults making said scenario sensical...I shall remain skeptical.

And yes, I like all right-minded Muppet fans are still irked by the cancellation of "The Muppets". THIS WAS WHAT JIM HENSON WANTED YOU MONSTERS!

4. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

After the Muppets they want to make a MB reboot it seems a little to soon honestly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

To be honest, I'm not that surprised. Lately, it seems a lot of shows have been getting rebooted, so it was only a matter of time before something about Muppet Babies came along. I've only seen one episode of the original, but if this does happen, I'll take a look when it comes out.
    Just because it's airing on Disney Junior doesn't mean older audiences can't enjoy it. I don't know what you think of Sofia the First, but it's gained older fans, despite being on Disney Junior. The Lion Guard isn't that bad either.

6. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

I'd still prefer that Muppets show getting a second season as well, but it's too late for that. We can only hope this is just as good (but see who it's aiming for, I don't feel it'll be better, to remain just a little optimistic...).

Then again, I've been itching for a show like Muppet Babies after realizing how much better a show like LPS (2012) could have been, had it actually taken THAT route. Getting the real thing and having it be good will hopefully ease my disappointment.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

As a matter of fact, I enjoy Sofia the First and The Lion Guard. In fact, I thought Sofia the First might be good game changer to make a dora the explorer like shows to fade away.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I only vaguely remember watching Muppet Babies back in the day, but I did enjoy it. I think it was one of the first shows I tried to record on VHS, which I could never work out that well with my VCRs for some reason. A reboot sounds neat and I think it could work really well on Disney Junior. They have been making better shows for that block lately and the designs for the characters are nice and cute, so I'd check it out if it does get made.

9. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

So was the original, technically.

Of all the things that get remade, this really needs one. Thanks to all the live-action clips in every episode, it's impossible to release the original again.

10. DisneyFan101

DisneyFan101 New Member

I'd be more excited if it was going to be made with traditional animation. Will still give it a watch though.

11. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

As much as I enjoyed the classic Muppet Babies, a Muppet Babies reboot, awesome, I'll see it when it comes.

12. EJLD4Ever

EJLD4Ever Animation Student

It would be interesting if they did a Baby Looney Tunes-type format--two 8-9-minute segments bridged by a short music video. Considering BLT used these music videos as a means to show babyfied versions of characters who were otherwise not part of the main cast (Elmer Fudd, Yosemite Sam, Porky Pig, Pepe Le Pew, Roadrunner, Wile E Coyote, Foghorn Leghorn, etc.), then the new MB could possibly use it to show babyfied version of the Swedish Chef, the rest of the Electric Mayhem, and even some of the newer characters like Pepe or Denise.

13. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

It's now official and coming in 2018.
    Edit: More info from Deadline.
    Can't find any word if Nanny will be making the leap to the new property yet.

14. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

15. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Never seen Muppet Babies, but why is it and this new show animated? Why don't they use puppets and puppeteers like everything else Muppet related?

16. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

The original show was also fully animated, so this is no surprise.

As for the idea of the reboot, I think it has potential to be good seeing as to who some of the crew members are and the increasing quality for Disney Junior shows. Plus, considering that the 2015 ABC Mupets show had low ratings and mixed reviews leading to it's cancellation, and how the Muppet Moments shorts on Disney Junior are well received by both kids and adults, a Muppet Babies reboot seems like the best option, especially since the original aired on Playhouse Disney in most countries. Now we just need a voice cast.

17. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Yeah, I know the original show was animated. I said that in the post you replied to.

18. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

I was pretty meh on the news until I heard of Tom Warburton's involvement. It should be good.

Here's hoping they keep the theme song.

According to Hank Saroyan (the producer of the original show), those clips were licensed in perpetuity and with future media in mind. A few episodes were released on DVD just before Disney bought the Muppet properties, which bears that out.

I hope this at least inspires them to put the original show on iTunes, like the gaggle of Disney Afternoon shows that just hit.

#18 Leviathan, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  19. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's pretty cool news. The character designs looked too finalized for them to pass up on a new show and it sounds like it could be fun and cute.

20. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Why so many who haven't watched Muppet Babies? This is a tragedy! Children's TV is missing out. No Muppet Babies, Eureka's Castle, Grimm's Fairy Tales and Maya the Bee (which you may not have realized were anime), Fraggle Rock... I must be old. ^^;

The original was an idea coined from the "I'm Gonna Always Love You" segment in Muppets Take Manhattan, which was done with baby puppets. The point of the show was more along the lines of getting kids engaged in make-believe, so they couldn't really do what they had planned with puppetry. But they were creative with the animation-on-movie clips format of the show, which has sadly kept its home video release relegated to 30 second clips on documentaries. Here's some info about it: http://www.henson.com/jimsredbook/2012/04/4131984/

But the good news is that Disney now owns Muppets, Marvel Productions (who produced the show) and Lucasfilm (Star Wars was a big source of clips). If they keep buying up properties, they'll eventually own everything that was featured in the show! ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1