1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

MTV's 'Total Request Live' to end in November after 10 years [UPDATE: Returning in October!]

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by TMC1982, Sep 15, 2008.

1. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

I wouldn't even compare MTV to those three channels.

Well, it would make people who want MTV to return back to its roots as a music channel happy.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

2. TMC1982

TMC1982 Active Member

I don't understand why (if showing blocks of music videos isn't an effective business model anymore) MTV can't show documentaries about bands, do a general music talk show, have a roundtable about various music related issues, or even (given their focus on reality television these days) do a show about some up-and-coming band.

The bottom-line is that MTV, whatever way you want to slice it, simply has little to no credibility in the music industry anymore. I mean, how can they when MUSIC TELEVISION has turned into a cesspool of reality TV shows? The just don't have their pulse on what's really hot in music (instead, people have seem to turn to Napster, Pandora, YouTube browsing, or online word of mouth) hence their lineup.

• Like Like x 2
  3. AdrenalineRush1996

Well, MTV isn't the only channel that moved away from its roots as a music channel to become an entertainment channel. VH1 (in the US, not in Europe since in there, they always play music videos 24/7) and BET moved away from its roots as well.

4. TMC1982

TMC1982 Active Member

I guess then it's a perfectly fine for MTV to lazily and unimaginatively spam their schedule with nothing but 16 & Pregnant/Teen Mom, Catfish, Wild 'N Out, and Ridiculousness (and sandwiched in-between movies that could already be seen on FX, TBS, and Freeform). Just because MTV isn't the only channel to move away from their roots or initial brand identity doesn't exactly mean that they're doing a good job at it regardless.

5. AdrenalineRush1996

I never said it was a good thing and I never said it was the only music channel to move away from its roots or identity as I was giving you examples of music channels that have since become entertainment channels like VH1 and BET. Channel drifts can be either good or bad for a channel since one good example of it is AMC as several of their original content have garnered acclaim and becoming a worthy opponent to HBO and one bad example of it is obviously MTV since as years went on, the content of music videos drastically decreased to the point that MTV phased out its Music Television byline.

I can tell that you have a problem with MTV reviving Unplugged and TRL because many fans would be happy that those two shows are returning even if MTV won't return back to being an all-music channel. Also, not all MTV shows post-music era have been bad aside from the lacklustre reality shows.

#45 AdrenalineRush1996, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  6. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

I was extremely disappointed in what is clearly an in-name-only show. All throughout the first half hour, they didn't play a single music video. I'll get the right to the point. This was not Total Request Live, it was nothing more than a glorified talk show, which is not what people came to see. For that reason, once the first half hour was over, that was it.

Now, I have to be completely honest here. Viacom seems to think, quite frankly, that the viewers are stupid. To me, it's clear that they thought the viewers wouldn't know the difference. I'm sorry, but I have to say it: I honestly think this was only "brought back" so people would notice all this and thus not watch it, giving them a reason to eventually cancel it. There's just no other explanation. You do not mess up something like this, and think people won't see what's going on.

Oh, and before anyone gives the "internet" explanation, that's just it. That was likely the same excuse Viacom made when they decided to give everyone this not-revival of not-Total Request Live.

7. AdrenalineRush1996

Given the response to the in-name-only revival, it feels like MTV doesn't really care about the legacy of TRL.

8. TMC1982

TMC1982 Active Member

The reason why TRL was so successful back then was because there was no social media. You literally had to go to the show to promote your music. Now I just don't see the point when you have YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, Facebook, etc.

The show was about playing the music videos and see which videos would go # 1 and retire from the countdown. Without that, there is no point.

9. AdrenalineRush1996

Had there been a real revival of the show than an in name only revival, then it would've incorporated social media as well. Music video channels are still common outside North America even if the popularity of it has been affected by the rise of social media.

10. JPReckless2444

I agree on some points, but the REAL reason they don't air music videos on TRL, hell MTV themselves, is because they don't draw ratings...

Jason Demarco, VP of [adult swim] & creator of Toonami, said on a episode of Pre-Flight that music videos don't draw good ratings. That why the Toonami Midnight Run: Special Edition didn't do well. They premiered some Gorillaz & Daft Punk videos, but only a few people watched. Unfortunately, the internet excuse is a valid excuse. Why watch a 30 second snippet of a music video on TRL when u can watch the full version on Youtube & Vevo? I personally think that they should, at least, premiere music videos from big name artists. They still have live performances, so there's that.

I do agree that they basically click-baited viewers into thinking the original format of TRL was coming back rather than using a in-named show for a completely different format.

• Like Like x 1
    #51 JPReckless2444, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  11. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

That's your opinion (and his)...

Except that, in the case of Total Request Live (at any rate), it isn't.

• Like Like x 1
  12. M622

M622 Member

Yeah. They should of called it by what it was going to be named before the stunt of "TRL BEING REVIVED OMG". MTV Live.

• Like Like x 2
  13. AdrenalineRush1996

You get the idea with that.