1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

MTV's 'Total Request Live' to end in November after 10 years [UPDATE: Returning in October!]

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by TMC1982, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

Johnny Carson?

2. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Carson Daily, the show's original host.

3. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

Just a reminder. The finale is on Sunday.

http://www.mtv.com/ontv/dyn/trl/series.jhtml?extcmp=SEO_SSP_Y

4. Slipperman

Slipperman Progressive Rock Fan

On one hand, it's a shame MTV has to axe TRL. TRL is one of the few things the network did have left that featured music...I suppose they're just going to replace it with more re-runs of that lame show of theirs 'The Hills'...:mad: :yawn:

On the other hand, TRL was basically mired in nothing but ghetto-rap/Beyonce/Jonas Brothers videos over the past couple years, all of which I for one am sick of, so by that logic it doesn't seem all that bad that they're pulling the plug on it...:shrug:

Tim (aka the Slipperman)

5. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

Hey, guys. Don't forget it's tonight. 8pm.

6. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

So...no one saw it? I saw the first hour then switched to Family Guy and American Dad then watched the last hour. 3 hrs. wow. TRL went out with a bang.

7. Bloody Marquis

Bloody Marquis Quite smashing, eh?

I saw a few minutes of it. It was kind of nostalgic to see Carson Daly there and to hear that "Slim Shady" song. Otherwise, I don't really care that TRL's gone.

8. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

I stopped watch TRL in 2001 or 2002, so to me this show was already over. But...to actually have a FINALE was kinda like, wow, that's it the show that was a big part of our pre-teen years is literally over. It like closes a chapter in our lives in a weird sort of way.

9. TMC1982

TMC1982 Active Member

I'm personally, very indifferent over the supposed end of "TRL". I used to watch it regularly when I was in high school, but stopped around the same time that Carson Daly left. I guess, this also coincides with MTV's programming mostly being made up of stuff that don't appeal to me personally, like all of their reality show crap like "The Hills" or "Paris Hilton's New BFF", etc.

MTV needs to figure out a way to appeal beyond a very narrow demographic if it wasn't to succeed long term. Right now, in my estimation, there seriously aiming for the lowest of dominators.

10. Bloody Marquis

Bloody Marquis Quite smashing, eh?

I stopped caring for MTV when I was 11. But yeah, it'd be nice for MTV to at least show something that's not a bad reality show.

11. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

You're 16, so that makes sense. lol. I'm 21, so MTV was a big part of my pre-teen years. It's like what Disney Channel is to kids these days.

12. Moto Pete

Moto Pete We Bare-ly Pete's

i'm 30..... MTV used to be MUSIC now its spoiled brat's and dating shows and garbage. when was the last music video

13. sdp

sdp miscrave

I'm surprised it lasted this long as well. I never really watched TRL ever but from what I remember they didn't even air the whole music video...

Its also true that the internet and youtube in general made the show irrelevant but its also true that MTV hasn't been about music for a decade or more now probably so I don't see what the big deal is about this being the last "music" show since I'm sure there was little music in it to begin with.

14. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Boomerangfan101

Boomerangfan101 Can You Not!

16. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

I'll say this: Carson Daly is a tough act to follow.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

17. TMC1982

TMC1982 Active Member

#37 TMC1982, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  18. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

#38 AdrenalineRush1996, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  19. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

It's good to see something like this return.

20. TMC1982

TMC1982 Active Member

We can go on forever about how, when, and why MTV entered its dramatic network decay, but I think the short end of it is that sometime by the late '90s-turn of the millennium, MTV stopped being innovative. Instead of being this revolutionary, cutting edge music channel that was always on point of what was going on in current pop culture, it started taking too many short-sided short-cuts. These days, MTV is pretty much just another random, blended cable channel

They really dug their own grave so to speak, by trying to be an all encompassing "youth channel" (when it has Freeform and The CW to compete with) instead of being strictly a music channel. MTV should in essence, by the CNN/MSNBC/Fox News of the music industry instead of cruising on autopilot with the same rotation of reality shows, oft-network sitcoms reruns and movies, and what not.

And bringing TRL back just feels like a transparent attempt by MTV to relieve its supposed "glory days". Again, going back to my suggestion that MTV is no longer creatively innovative and taking a bunch of short-cuts in order to stay relevant.

#40 TMC1982, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017