1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

'MTV 2002 Video Music Awards' Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Moonbay, Aug 29, 2002.

1. JohnStewart-GL

JohnStewart-GL Mighty JLU memba

He called Moby a girl or something. I thought it was funny :D

2. BlackCat

BlackCat The Dark Knight

Spider-Man wasn't advertised because it isn't apart of their Fall lineup. I believe it is coming 1st quarter 2003. I'm not sure of the reason for the pushback.

3. Zero Signal

Zero Signal Caught Somewhere In Time

I think Eminem got booed because he refused to let Triumph the insult comic dog talk to him. He knows what would happen. Eminem is really good at making fun of other people, but you see what happens when somebdy wants to rip on him. Temper, temper.

4. Galaxia

Galaxia My Favorite Ed

Oh....LOL. :D

5. GoufCustom

GoufCustom Mr. Pink

I thought the VMAs were pretty good. I liked Jimmy Fallon, MUCH better than The Wayans Brothers' and the Foxx dude. Axl was way-off his game. BUT...

BUCKETHEAD IS GOD! :D

6. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

This year's VMAs just weren't too good IMO. I missed the first hour, but I'll watch it during the "MTV VMA Endless Repeat Weekend" Triumph was UK, but he just didn't seem to be on his game tonight, and yes it does appear that Enimem can dish the insults, but when it comes to receiving them, he folds up like a folding chair. The Hives were good "The Hives are law. You are Crime." :D The new show commercials that I saw looked god-awful though, but i'm sure that the kids will eat them up like heroin. No really cool suprises like previous VMAs(I know there was GnR, but I just wasn't that impressed, and does anybody even care about MJ any more?) Jimmy Fallon seemed to get worse and worse as the night went on, his American Idol parody was horrible(There's a fine line between being funny and obnoxious, and he crossed it with that skit)

i'd give this year's VMAs 1.5 out of 5 stars. BTW shouldn't this thread really have a poll to go along with it for ratings?

7. JohnCrichton

JohnCrichton An astronaut!

Not to mention he threatened to hit Moby. "I will hit a man with glasses...."

8. kiddiesunshine

kiddiesunshine Active Member

he was dissin' moby, calling him a girl. the boos start.
    then em goes, "keep booin', little girl. i WILL hit a guy wit glasses."
    the boos got louder.

9. Chris Sanders MSX

Chris Sanders MSX The MAN is back

I didn't like the show that much. Here's what I thought.

Jimmy Fallon's opening sequence. That was hillarious but the rest of his stuff was just flat to me. I still say Chris Rock was the best host in a long time and they need yto call him back.

Christina's Aguleria's outfit. I had a crush on her before, now I'm in love. :D .. If I worked for the crew I would have turned on the fans real heavy... ;)

Pink. I think she's much hotter with the black hair now. Great preformance and she's cute when she's drunk.

The Insult Comic Dog. Still funny, Kurt Loader cut him off and then Eminem. It was funny when they booed him, because he looked actually pissed not knowing that "you do not cut off the insult comic dog"...I'm going to be watching Conan all next week. :)

Maybe it had something to do with Em calling moby a girl but it was still funny. Gawd Moby fans sure are sensitive. It's not like Moby was going to defend himself.

All the performances. This year, for once, they were all really good. I loved em' all especially Shakira . Wait no. I hated Justin's preformance for all the hype..it sucked. Michael Jackson without the surgery or talent.

Eminem. Okay, I'm a HUGE fan. But even I know the without me Video was not that good. He should have won 2 of the 4 awards he got.

The Rock video of the year. How the hell can Linkin Park beat Korn or System of a Down ?? Linkin Park's not even real rock ? Yous hould have heard the cussing I did when Linkin Park won.

Best New Artist ??? Avril ??? Avril beat Jon Mayer ? How ? Her songs have little substance and she..she just shouldn't have won. It's wrong.

The Olsen Twins. My have they grown. :D Luckily we are the same age so anything I say or think doesn't make me creepy.

Best video of The year. I still say Nas should have won.

Lastly was it just me or did both Christina Aguleria and Michael Jackson, both just sound weird ??

10. Andy Mancini

Andy Mancini Active Member

Here's my theory: MTV wanted to push an artist that plays to their core audience, which are teenage girls. It seems to me that they deemed that these girls want another "strong, feminine figure" in the fine tradition of Gwen Stefani and Alanis Morrisette. Avril Lagvine fits the bill. Take a look at the "best new artists" nominees, and my attempt of "thinking like a MTV executive".

John Mayer: A talented, respected singer-songwriter. There are probably more teenage girls buying Barry Manilow albums than his. He belongs on NPR, not TRL.

Puddle of Mudd: A throwback rock band. This band is a lot of things, but "girl power" rock is not one of them.

Ashanti/B2K: Both artists, although talented, aren't exactly the poster people for "independant women" in their eyes.

That leaves Avril. I've tried listening to her music, but, to put it mildly, it's bubblegum. I mean, people complain (and rightly so) about the lack of content in Andrew WK's lyrics. The lyrics to Avril songs "Complicated" and "Skater Boy" make "Party Hard" and "She Is Beautiful" look like Lennon and McCartney wrote them. The thing is, they are not listening to her lyrics. All they are seeing is the next Gwen, Alanis, or Madonna singing things. And they deemed that that is what girls are buying this year.

11. SonGoku V3

SonGoku V3 Shaman of SEXY~!

Reason #4569892088972 why Michael Jackson shouldn't do CRAP for MTV

From the Drudge Report:

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX FRIDAY AUGUST 30, 2002 10:52:28 ET XXXXX

MICHAEL JACKSON BLOWUP: MTV TAKES AWAY AWARD IT NEVER GAVE?

Is he, or isn't he...

MTV reported on its website late Thursday it had not presented Michael Jackson with "artist of the millennium" honors at the 2002 Video Music Awards -- even though the pop star believed he had accepted such an award on live TV!

"When I was a little boy in Indiana, if someone had told me that one day I'd be getting the Artist of the Millennium award, I wouldn't have believed it," Jackson told the audience after receiving a standing ovation.

"I can't believe it."

Don't believe it.

MORE

"There is no such honor," MTV's Joe D'Angelo quickly reported on MTV.COM, noting how Jackson was very confused.

On the morning after the night before a Jackson source fumed to DRUDGE: "Britney handed him the award! It was silver with a red bow...

"What do they mean, there is 'no such award'... What was the award then? This is no way to treat the artist which put MTV on the map!"

RED-FACED AT RADIO CITY

MTV explained the confusion in a report on MTV.COM, placing blame for the cross-cables on the stars.

"Britney Spears introduced birthday boy Michael Jackson and presented him with a tiered cake. She referred to Jackson as 'the artist of the millennium,' and Jackson thought he actually won an award by that name, though no such award exists."

But elsewhere on MTV.COM, the network does trumpet: "Michael Jackson's unprecedented Artist of the Millennium award."

And the winner is...

12. GoufCustom

GoufCustom Mr. Pink

Yes, SOAD and Korn not winning the best rock video, pissed me off mightily! :mad: :mad: :mad:

13. Chris Sanders MSX

Chris Sanders MSX The MAN is back

I think all rock fans were pissed off by that. MTV 2 Needs to have it's own awards show. Then we'll have justice.

14. Weatherman

Weatherman Space...not what it used to be
    Staff Member Reporter

Just flipping through the MTV Photo album, what in the world is Christina Aguilera wearing? There are hookers who wear more then that when they work! :eek: Ohh, wait, that's right, I remember what her "appeal" is based on. Never mind.........

15. Chibi Kageboshi

Chibi Kageboshi The Sessy Bizatch

She's sluttier than Britney.. and did you all notice she now talks like a black person? (nothing against african americans)

16. JohnStewart-GL

JohnStewart-GL Mighty JLU memba

Yeah i noticed that too!
    Mabey its from hanging out with Missy Elliot and Lil Kim :p

17. wussiewussie

wussiewussie horror kid

AND doing a song with Redman too. oi..

18. Bobby Boy 101

Bobby Boy 101 Demi's Throttle

Aside from Chrstina talkin like she was black, I also noticed that Britney has almost completely gotten rid of her southern accent.

THE AWARDS ARE FIXED!!!!!!!!! BRITNEY STILL HASNT WON AN AWARD!!!!!!!! I dont care if Christina Aguilera has a better voice or if Pink learned to breakdance, Britney is a much better entertainer and has much better videos than either of then (not to mention she's hotter). Britney losing out to Pink for best video of the year?
    I dont think so

19. Storm

Storm Active Member

The Good. The Bad. The Comment. The Grade.

The Good

* P. Diddy's performance was the best thing of the whole award show :D

* T-Boz and Chilli's tribute to Lefteye :(

The Bad

* Jimmy Fallon really really really really really really really bombed badly I felt really embarrassed for him :eek:

The Comment

* This VMA was really bad. I hope next year the get Chris Rock back.

The Grade

* D minus (and I'm being nice)

20. kiddiesunshine

kiddiesunshine Active Member

christina aguilera looked...different. is she trying to adopt a new, harder image? what next? rap?
    genie in a 40 oz! buy it now!
    "advil" levigne? why the tie?
    jimmy fallon? not funny.
    how old are the olsen twins?
    -did anyone else think kelly osbourne looked dirty?