1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

'MTV 2002 Video Music Awards' Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Moonbay, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Moonbay

Moonbay Judge no one but yourself.

MTV VMA's

So what does everyone think of VMA '02? I must say I'm a bit unimpressed. Last year rocked, and I'm not surprised they couldn't top that. I was so bored.... the winners were predictable, and the nominee intros? I have no idea *what's* going on. o_O;;
    :yawn:

2. JohnCrichton

JohnCrichton An astronaut!

Video Music Awards - Talkback

I can't believe this hasn't been done yet..... 0_o

Any, I'd have to say Jimmy Fallon's opening show is going to make him a star and the greatest thing I've ever heard on MTV was when Mary J. Blige said, "I dunno... there must be a glitch in the Matrix or something.."

Wow.... I wuv her. :D

3. VashTheStampede

VashTheStampede Active Member

You must be easily impressed. :)

4. KingKoopa

KingKoopa Active Member

I didn't even watch. It looked pretty bad from what I saw in the promos.

5. Jeff Harris

Jeff Harris Creator/Webmaster, TXB

Re: Video Music Awards - Talkback

First of all, the VMAs are nothing more than a showcase of what MTV thinks is music.

Second, I'm ticked that in their little montage of shows coming soon that Spider-Man wasn't even shown. Two other cartoons (and one of them wasn't Gate Crashers) that look like they'll last a few minutes were promoted.

Third question . . . is this live or is this Memorex?

Seriously, I must be really behind on the video technology of the day, but this looks just like it's been filmed in advance. Ah, digital technology . . . I think.

That's all I'll say on the subject.

6. JohnCrichton

So was your m- baaah... nevermind. :p

I'd say Jimmy was pretty funny, but lost all his steam in the beginning.

Still... Mary J. Blige making a geek comment like that and seemingly unconsciously was one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

7. SonGoku V3

SonGoku V3 Shaman of SEXY~!

I hate this show.

As much as I love Michael, did he really need to be there? REALLY?

This confirmed my reasons to dislike Ashanti and Murder Inc more and more.

Eddie Murphy was funny. Chris Rock was funny. Jimmy Fallon is GOD AWFUL.

There's something about Avril that I don't like....okay, there's alot of things about Avril that I don't like, but it's not worth spending a lifetime talking about.

Thank you Jesus for Simon Cowell, and Kelly Clarkson and Justin Guarini. They make the show just a *little* more watchable.

Well, here's Slim Shady, and YES! He's performing White America! I LOVE this song, and I don't think ANYONE knows how much the lyrics apply to guys like Justin Tinkerbell.

Oh well, I hope MTV does SOMETHING interesting, because every year it seems like this show is turning into nothing but an expensive Teen Choice Awards. :yawn:

Oh yeah, as for the hype of the Hivestreet Boys, N Vines, and O-Stripes, these rock bands better be good.....but this is MTV, so why am I getting my hopes up? ;)

8. JohnStewart-GL

JohnStewart-GL Mighty JLU memba

I liked the show! I didn't watch all of it but i liked everyones performances except for Avil Lavigne's. Jimmy Fallons opening of the show was funny. Especially his mocking of Enrique :p
    I forgot it was Michael Jacksons birthday so he caught me be surprise. It was also nice to see the Legendary James Brown. Hes still got some moves :p
    It was nice to see TLC after the death of Lisa Lopes. :(
    P- diddy's prformance was probly my favorite of the night though.
    I also licked Shakira and Pink's performances, they were...um..bootilicious :D

#8 JohnStewart-GL, Aug 29, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2002
  9. KingKoopa

KingKoopa Active Member

I guess a mod could merge the two threads, because I don't feel like posting my thoughts again. But, in three words, I can say my feelings about it.

I didn't watch.

10. MAXIMUS

MAXIMUS The Hound

thoight it sucked...too much politics, too much controversy, performances by odd bands who bug the hell outta me. These are getting worse each year.

11. JohnCrichton

Ouch.... Jimmy's performance has gone from brilliant to painful.

:(

12. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Hey folks,

your friendly neighborhood administrator here. I merged the two MTV MVA threads and tweaked the title abit.

Ad a quick comment, I was dissapointed in them, too. Although Pink's acceptance speech was one of the most unintentionally funny moments of the evening.

13. MAXIMUS

MAXIMUS The Hound

Guns and Roses performance was aweful... well the band was ok but axel was way off his game.

14. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Telling it like it is

True, but I didn't care. I was so freaking stoked that my favorite band, while not the original :( , is back.

15. kiddiesunshine

kiddiesunshine Active Member

something about this one made watching it a strange event.
    it looked like a vhs recording!
    the hives vs. the vines? more like the unintelligibles vs. the incoherents.
    oh well. at least the olsen twins look like girls now instead of albino monkeys.

16. Zero Signal

Zero Signal Caught Somewhere In Time

Well thank you MTV for 3 hours I'm never gonna get back. The only reason I watched is because I knew Guns & Roses were playing, and they stuck it at the end with credits rolling. Wonderful. It's sad that network has brainwashed so many people into thinking the things that won awards tonight are really music.

17. Galaxia

Galaxia My Favorite Ed

In defense of Mr. Fallon....

::sigh:: Ok, this is gonna be a little bit rough...but bear with me.
    You guys are NOT gonna like this....

I didn't watch the WHOLE thing - I was watching (possibly the last) Yankees game as well, so I was flipping back and forth between the two.

The Show Itself: I thought how they filmed it was rather unusual. They filmed it instead of taped it - it felt like watching a long documentary. It didn't seem.........fluid. What possessed them to

The Host: Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy....:D
    I don't care what everyone else thinks - I thought Jimmy Fallon did a splendid job for his hosting the VMAs for the first time by himself (You saw that coming from a mile away, eh?). He seemed really nervous (if I was him, I would be too) - cut the guy some slack! :rolleyes: OMG - his impression of Emimen? Priceless. And the White Stripes? He basically parodied every video nominated for awards

The guests & performances: I really could care less about who else was there - P!nk, Shakira, P Diddy, JaRule, *Nsync, and the like. Eminem? No comment. Well, maybe a couple, but I'll keep them to myself. I do, however, like "Without Me" - it's pretty catchy. Bruce Springsteen's performance was awesome. All it was, was nothing more than a popularity contest - all those awards shows are.

Is it me, or did anyone else think this year's awards theme was "Let's Go Back To The 80's"? I mean, David Lee Roth, Sammy Hagar, Run DMC - GnR?

Having T-Boz & Chilli doing a tribute to Lisa "Left-Eye" Lopes was really nice. And of course, Rudy Giuliani was great too. I'm glad that No Doubt & Dashboard Confessional won too ^^;

The outfits What the heck was Christina Aguilera thinking when she wore that getup? I mean, one wrong turn or one stray breeze and, well..........you know. Pink's outfit while performing "Just Like A Pill" was kinda weird too.

Overall: I'd give the awards a 8/10. Jimmy's performance, of course, gets a 10.

18. Seafaring

Seafaring scoooting....

I don't see whats so great about the MTV Music Awards. But hey thats just me. I'd rather watch the MTV Europe awards, for some reason they always seem so much better.

19. Galaxia

Galaxia My Favorite Ed

Oh yeah - after Christina Aguilera presented Eminem with one of his 4 awards, why did they boo him? I wasn't paying attention to his speech and all I heard was some of the audience booing him.

20. Djm912

Djm912 Active Member

I was interested in seeing Axl. That's all I watched. MTV is bad for you.