1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Motorcity" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by MDawg, Apr 16, 2012.

1. TheGunheart

TheGunheart Darkness and Disgrace

For what it's worth, the most recent one played with the concept a little by having Julie actually call him out to his face and showed that, deep down, she genuinely wants him to be a good leader instead of seeing him as simply a villain that needs deposing.

2. El-Hazard

El-Hazard I like birds

Yeah, I'm bummed out Motorcity won't be back for another season, but from what I've read, it was doing rather poorly in the ratings (like 0.3 at best). Which is a shame, because it was one of the coolest cartoons I've seen in years.

Though I think making a cartoon about people driving in fast cars and aiming it at children far too young to drive might've been a weird move. That, or it could've taught bad driving habits to impressionable minds.

Or lack of advertising.
    I dunno.

3. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Not going to miss the show. I hated the main character and just the overall look and style of the show didn't work.

Didn't really like Julie or buy her subplot. I don't know what it was, but when Mike would fight the armored rogue I constantly found myself rooting for the armored rogue because I just don't like Mike.

I think what the show missed the boat on this season is telling us about the situation with Old Detroit, Deluxe, Cain, and Cain's ex-partner who now helps the Burners. Apparently Cain used to be a nice and philanthropic person that wanted to help people. The show never explored that. In fact, Cain was often absent throughout most of the show and wasn't developed enough. What made Cain so malevolent? How could Mike not know that such an influential person had a family?

I did like Texas though and I will miss Texas.

4. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

I'm just throwing this out there, but it could have something to do with the fact that the episodes were being aired out of order. Maybe the viewers caught on, and wanted to wait until the episodes were shown in order? That's my guess, anyway. In truth, it really could be anything.

By the way, I believe the villain's name is Abraham "Kane".

5. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

Motor City has the same problem Samurai Jack had. It is style over substance to extreme degrees. What we have here is an incredible looking show with amazing animation, unique character designs, and amazing looking visual effects. However it's very shallow. It's story is very by the books and not very interesting, it's heroes are generic good and evil and not all that interesting (the main characters anyway)

Yeah Mike is not very interesting and neither is Julie. I like Chuck, Dutch, and Texas though but they well don't get to do much. Kane is too transparently evil. I prefer the Terras and the Duke as the Terras are creepy and are terrorists/well intentioned extremists and the Duke well he's fun. Kane is just generic and even Mark Hammil does not save him. I could care less about red suit guy.

6. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, as a surprise that won't come to many, the show's not getting a second season.

Am I upset? Not really. This show has the best animation and art I've ever seen in an animated television series.
    But all that doesn't do it any good if the writing isn't good. Not to say it was terrible, but the show did feel more flash than substance as I come to expect ongoing story arcs in action adventure series, when this was mostly just standalone episodes, that didn't feel like it was building up to anything.

7. Dragnatek

Of course being all stand alone episodes is not bad if those individual episodes are great. There are some action cartoons that are all/mostly stand alone that have superior writing then most serialized action cartoons. People seem to think that story arcs and a continuing plot equal quality writing but that is just not the case.

8. Mandouga

Either way, it doesn't really justify airing a series (let alone Motorcity) out of order. While a show doesn't necessarily need story arcs or continuing plots, continuity still exists to some degree even in episodic shows, and if a show (or a network for that matter) messes with that in any way, people are going to find out eventually, and some may have a problem with that. As for Motorcity, who knows? It could be that the show is/was too episodic for its own good. I mean, would the show ever answer the question of whether or not the Burners find out that one of their own is Kane's daughter. Being episodic puts the show in a position to either never explore that, or bring it up completely randomly with no set up, or even randomly have everyone know it about with little to no explanation, or even have an episode where it's only talked about so it can be played for laughs in some way (i.e., Julie having something "important" to tell them, implying that it's about her secret, only for that important thing to be...asking Mike to take her on a date, or something like that). OTOH, being serialized would put the show in a position to drag it out over the course of several episodes, or even an entire season, with near-constant taunting about it (including, but not limited to suddenly going back to the status quo when it looks like her secret will be revealed, or even Kane trying to make her look like she was a spy all along when she wasn't*). Even if they did find out under this idea, would we have the stereotypical "presumed-to-be-a-traitor-without-hearing-her-side-of-the-story" bit? How long would that be dragged out before Julie was accepted as a Burner again, and even then, would even that be dragged out by some kind of "probationary period" (i.e., where she would now have to earn their trust all over again)? In the worst case scenario (next to Julie being a spy all along), the show could even flip-flop between between her being a spy and not being spy with whole "Is blood thicker than water?" question (and it could do this as either an episodic or serialized show).

Episodic shows and serialized shows both have their strengths and weaknesses, but I feel that it's a moot point since, again, I think the show got cancelled when people stopped watching because the episodes were being aired out of order, episodic, serialized, or otherwise.

*In this scenario, Kane discovers she's one of the Burners, then captures them, then says something like "Ah, good work Julie, just like we planned", or something like that.

9. r0derix

r0derix Member

New episode tonight at 8:30 is "Reunion." Despite this show not coming back, those with Disney XD should tune in!

10. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Are you sure about that? It says that Zeke and Luther are coming on at that time.
    In fact, Tron Legacy didn't come on either based on the listings.

11. r0derix

r0derix Member

Yeeeeah I may have been wrong on this. Was just going by the November Premieres thread, but didn't double check that. Lesson learned.

12. Dragnatek

Yeah looks like Tron and Motorcity has been replaced with some Friday night marathon of different Disney XD live action shows.

13. Villano

Villano Member

This sucks. I really liked this series. Unfortunately, it appears I'm the only one. :sad:

14. firefoxprime

firefoxprime 90s = Golden Years

Slow ya rolls bro. This show is friggin epic. The cast, the action, not to mention fast cars! When Battle Force 5 finished, I hoped for a show to feed my battle car fix :p

Blasted DXD....! They chuck compelling action animated series to a higher tier channel(in less households), and pamper their weak cookie cutter tween comedies. Pffff. Wish it was 2005 again. Atleast all major toon channels respected action animation.

15. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Managed to watch a recent episode of "Julie and the Amazons"

16. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

And now the show is getting burnt off in late night premieres against Adult Swim on Sunday. That's a real shame.

17. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I watched the recent ep on the channel's website. It really sucks it came to that, but I guess that's the fate of all shows that don't get renewed.
    I wonder if Tron Legacy is getting the same treatment.

18. Mandouga

That's Tron "Uprising", actually, and yes, it's getting the same treatment. It was even mentioned in the Tron Uprising thread. Maybe somebody at Disney XD thought they were both too "violent" or something? I know, I know, but that can still happen; plus, this is Disney we're talking about, original movies or not? In any case, it was also mentioned in the other thread that a similar thing happened to Naruto Shippuden as well. Maybe Disney XD should have just kept the "Jetix" name?...

19. r0derix

r0derix Member

New episode Julie and the Amazons is on right now. Disney XD late night.

20. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

I have seen this online but didn't mind watching it again. I like how it focus more on Julie's friendship with Claire and see how Claire is getting along well with Foxy and her crew. It was a surprise to see that Claire actually likes fast cars(sorry Chuck, if you want to win Claire you have to learn how to drive for reals lol) which it's reasonable why Julie was jealous towards Foxy because she had tried to convince Claire how much fun Motorcity is but never gave it a chance.

The subplot where the Burners had the clear their names was also good especially when Texas was trying to infiltrate the other group's territory. It was not surprise that the Duke was the one framing them and it does seem like this might be the last appearance of the Duke unless the 2 part episodes will make a final appearance.