"Motorcity" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by MDawg, Apr 16, 2012.

1. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

In the future, charismatic tyrant, Abraham Kane, is taking over Detroit, transforming it block-by-block into his insidious city of tomorrow. But one thing stands in his way: the Burners!

'Like' Motocity on Facebook

[​IMG][​IMG]
    "Battle for Motorcity" - Series Premiere
    Monday, April 30, 2012 @ 9:00PM ET/8:00PM CT on Disney XD

After Kane nearly cripples Motorcity, Mike decides to take the fight to Kane's front doorstep.

http://disney.go.com/xd/motorcity/

Note: Episode 1 is currently available for free on iTunes

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2012
  2. Dudley

Dudley Moderator Moderator

First off the animation and visuals for this is phenomenal. It feels like Disney's answer to Nick's Avatar and CN's Sym-Bionic Titan. The fact that it was done in America instead of outsourced gives me hope that more cartoons will be done like this in the future. Titmouse has it going on!

Don't care much for the story, though. And the episode's plot was cliche and predictable, but not unbearably so.
    Characters were fun. Especially Texas, he got a lot of fun lines.

3. dothesmartthing

dothesmartthing Happy's happy. Are you happy?

I really like the animation. It reminds me of Gorillaz.

4. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

I was waiting for this show since i heard it from George Krstic sometime and wow really shows that him, Chris Prynoski and all the guys from Titmouse did an amazing job, The episode didn't disappoint and i agree with Dudley that the plot is cliche and predictable but at the same time these guys really make it good.

Just like Megas XLR i wasn't a big fan of giant robots until Megas came and with Motorcity i'm appreciating how cool fast cars are, we seen other car shows like HotWheels Battle Force 5 it was......well boring, everyone tried to make a show about cars good but never pull it out well and Motorcity seems like it's breaking that curse and actually making it fun to watch.

5. MDawg

Giving this the bump since the show premieres tonight.

Also, some cool shots of the show so you have something to look forward to

And also links to people who worked on the show for even more stuff to gawk at.

http://georgekrstic.blogspot.com/
    https://twitter.com/georgekrstic
    http://misterunagi.tumblr.com/
    http://snaggle-teeth.tumblr.com/
    http://dwooman.tumblr.com/
    http://zooave.blogspot.com/
    http://sungjinahn.blogspot.com/
    http://edtadem.com/
    http://drawb4ueat.tumblr.com/

6. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!! Moderator Reporter

Er, tonight? Or tonight plus one week? Today's the 23rd :).

7. MDawg

Yeah, yeah, yeah....darn calendar making me think it was a week later! :sweat:

8. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Active Member

From the posts and Ed Liu's review it looks like we have another Samurai Jack/Sym Bionic Titan on our hands. A show that is incredibly impressive from a visual and animation standpoint while breaking no new grounds and is pretty been there done that when it comes to story telling. That is not a bad thing of course as visuals are very important, and yeah they draw us in. But I do hope for more.

Note I'm not insulting SJ or SBT as both were great shows just I do feel they were very standard from a story perspective.

Also sounds like Disney has a good thing going using Titmouse for shows.

9. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

Hope everyone saw the premiere, still amaze of the animation and of course the background music, Brendon Small did a good job with it.

Still haven't seen more of the other Burners cars but my fav so far is Mutt.

10. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

I'm surprised this thread hasn't seen more activity because that was all kinds of awesome. While as others have noted, the plot itself was nothing necessarily special, it was still solid. And it definitely wasn't anything that detracted from the main draw so far here, the look and style of the series.

I haven't seen anything that looked this unique in awhile. While my favorite part was the character design and animation, I actually ended up being impressed with the vehicles as well. CG (or whatever this was) vehicles often tend to look out of place, but this show some how made it work really well. Even the robots, while utilizing a fairly basic boxy design, seemed rather unique.

I like most of the characters so far; the only one who seems like he will get on my nerves is Kane's lackey (Tooey?). Also, I wonder if Goat from Megas XLR had any influence on the food stand guy in this series (didn't catch his name yet).

For a long time Cartoon Network has often been king of action series (especially if you ignore pre-existing superheroes) by default. It's nice to see another network put something unique like this on the air and really give them some competition. I'm rather intrigued by the upcoming Tron series as well.

11. HORNSM2C20D7Y8

HORNSM2C20D7Y8 THE LAST MAJOR

I, too, am surprised this thread hasn't seen more activity. Damn, I thought that 127+ people would've jammed this thread by now. Woan, well. The heat and beauty of Flash, Toon Boom, After Effects, Maya and Photoshop, with a lusty assist from Justin (not sure of surname) of Ajar Productions. And don't get me started about this Tron: Uprising-it's like that?!? I was fooled-I'm gratified!!!!
    As for Motorcity, I can and will only say that

"IT IS A REVOLUTIONARY SHOW."

12. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

Probably but i do believe Tooley will get some character development because he does show to be very loyal to Kane but Kane doesn't take him seriously which comes to Mike, i mean it does show that Kane felt Mike's betrayal very harsh like he saw the son he never had on him and probably Tooley will see that an tries to show Kane that he can be better then Mike, there's already a scene where Tooley tries to fight Mike.

I believe so since he does look like Goat, Titmouse is like Joe Dante having Dick miller in all of his movies for good luck which it's cool since this is the 4th time we see Goat or someone looking like him mostly all of Titmouse shows like MTV's Downtown, Megas XLR, Metalocalypse and now Motorcity.

i thought they will get the real Goat to voiced Jacob but surprise he's voiced by Brian Doyle Murray which it's not bad since i'm a fan of Murray.

13. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Fun premiere. Flashy visuals and good designs though some of the heads are a little to square for my liking.

My friend saw the preview and said he thought it was like Redline smashed together with Scott Pilgrim. From a style standpoint that's a pretty apt comparison.

So Julie is Kane's daughter but the Burners don't know it yet but Mike was Kane's employee before he saw what Kane's vision was for Detroit Deluxe.

Kel Mitchel and Jess Harnell are great as Dutch and Texas. I'm already dig'n both characters.

I wasn't sure what to expect from Reid Scott but he's a solid lead as Mike so far.

How can you not love Mark Hamill as Abraham Kane? He's great in roles where he can give both a pleasant and malicious persona.

This first episode got me interested to see more though I already was hyped for this show for quite frankly years at this point. Even so I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going story wise because so far it's nothing particularly special in that department but I trust Prynoski and his staff have an exciting story to tell.

14. TheGunheart

TheGunheart Darkness and Disgrace

My mind has been blown. That is quite possibly one of the most visually amazing cartoons I have ever seen. From the vehicle sequences to pretty much every time Mike brandishes his staff, the show is outright dizzying. And that is the best CG I have ever seen on a TV budget.

And the story and characters aren't half bad, either. Classic hero and villain dynamic, but with animation good enough to make said hero every bit as cool as advertised. Plus, you know, Steven Blum.

EDIT: Whoops, not Blum after all. But dang does he sound like him.

15. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Active Member

I would not be surprised if he IS Goat who seems to be a recurring character for the people working on this show.

Anyway this show is very visually stunning, amazingly so and well it is worth watching for a while for that reason alone. now the action in Motorcity (The city itself) seems a bit too chaotic and hard to follow, because of the dark setting, but when the action moves to Detroit Deluxe it's quite easy to keep track of.

So far the story and plot is very standard and all levels of cliche. One of the characters use to work for the bad guy, the female is actually his daughter and no one knows, we have seen this stuff before. Of course that's not a bad thing. It's not how cliche your story and characters are it's what you do with them that matters and done right this could still be something special.

I doubt the show will make me a fan of fast cars but well I will keep watching it.

16. Mandouga

Mandouga Active Member

I actually saw the first episode on iTunes since it was offered for free, and I thought it was okay, but only okay. There are a number of things that worry me:

First there's the name. It's actually a very bad pun. As many people know, Detroit is also known as "The Motor City". If this were set in New York, would it be called "Bigapple" or something like that? Anyway, to me it seems as though the creator(s) hoped that certain viewers might not catch on by giving the show a name that appears to be original/creative but really isn't by a whole lot (not really).

Second, the blond guy (can't recall his name) seems to be one of those typical "cowardly sidekicks" you often see in action-adventure shows. We get that he's reluctant, but I've seen a number of shows where this personality trait often gets flanderized in later episodes, and as a result starts to overpower the other parts of the show. For this reason, I hope that later episodes of this show don't constantly shove this fact down people's throats.

Third, this episode seems to mostly be based around a spur-of-the-moment moral lesson about picking one's battles. What's more, this show delivers it badly: this episode tries to tell us that "running away is sometimes the best choice". This has the potential to be mistaken for contradicting the moral about running away (i.e., that it never solves problems, which it usually doesn't, but I digress). If this show is going to teach moral lessons, it needs to improve its delivery, but at the same, not be heavy handed about it or overpower the the others parts of the show like I said. That being said, I'm not going to be happy if they do an episode about healthy living, but that's for a different discussion.

The biggest potential problems with this show however, relate to Julie. First of all, she's the mole in Abraham Kane's regime. Second, she's his daughter. Now, I really don't like this setup at all. How can we be sure she won't suddenly start excepting her father's ideas (out of her own free will)? Not only that, but how do we know she doesn't have her own agenda (i.e., planning to overthrow her father so she can control Detroit Deluxe herself, a la Starscream). In other words, she might either be a traitor, or a never-a-traitor-but-never-good-girl-in-the-first-place. It also doesn't help that Mike doesn't know that Julie is Kane's daughter. I'll be direct. If/when the Burners do find out, I hope the show doesn't have them blindly assume she was a traitor all along, and start distrusting her. It would be even worse if Kane actually tries to make it look as though she was working with him all along. With all this mind, I hope this show will actually play it straight by having her legitimately dedicated to stopping her father, and the rest of the team (and not just Mike) at least giving her the benefit of the doubt (if/when they do find out), which I don't think would be a bad thing for this show.

All of the above is often, but admittedly not always indicative of a show that isn't as good as it could be. This show has a lot of potential, but at the same time, I've seen this setup before. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be one of those action-adventure shows that focuses more on the problem and less on the solution and tries to be dark/edgy either just for the sake of being dark/edgy, or just to please the viewers in the short term (this is especially important since the show is an original Disney production; okay, so it's technically a co-production, but still). I'm hoping that it will instead focus more on telling the story and less on trying to keep the viewers guessing in the spur of the moment. It's one thing to have conflict. It's another to (with all due respect to the writers) show off how realistic your production is in comparison to other shows. In the first place, most viewers understand when a show is supposed to be realistic, and in the second, realism doesn't automatically make things better.

For now though, I'll keeping watching.

17. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

That's what makes it odd, how come Mike was an employee but never saw Julie or at least Kane tried to introduce her in some point, maybe in future episodes will see why they didn't met before.

Also curious if Kane knows Julie is a burner? i can suspect that he saw her when she was out of the car at the first scene.

I don't blame you, Reid Scott sounds just like Steve Blum, don't know if it was intentional or not but wow, the irony is that we will see Mike fighting in a style of Spike Spiegel in future episodes.

I won't become a fan of all fast cars but i do appreciate the effort Titmouse is putting on making this show entertaining.

btw you guys notice when Mike was going towards Kane's giant robot to attack it but got caught? Reminds me so much of the first episode of Megas XLR when Megas was fighting that gigantic glorft mech.

18. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

I'm not sure if I like this villain. It seemed as if, at one point, he was trying to be seen as the "good guy" to the people in Detroit Deluxe. The opening even talked about how most people aren't even aware that they're liberty has been taken away. However, he then proceeded to become a giant hologram and brag to everybody about how he is going to destroy Motorcity. I'm pretty sure Motorcity is legal and has every right to exist, considering he built a city over top of it and didn't just destroy everything in the first place. Then again, I doubt the show will ever explain how the U.S. Government allowed one of their city's to apparently secede from the nation and become a dictatorship, so it is what it is.

I know this is a series where cars can drive up walls, so it doesn't need to make sense, but I just think a villain needs to be properly handled. It seems that he hasn't taken over the world, and is only in charge of one city, so he should be a lot more subtle than he is.

19. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi Reporter

That's NOT Steven Blum?! He even says "Nice" just like Jamie in Megas XLR.

As for the show . . . I dunno. I mean it looks sort of unique, but watching it kind of gave me a brain seizure. There's something sort of jarring about the style. The designs are very crude but I mean the animation isn't terrible but I'm still not sure if I like it. Off the first episode I don't really like the villain either. Not that Mark Hamill does a bad job, but he just seems to have one mode: snarling, growling, drooling monster and that's not interesting to me. He comes off like a spurned lover toward Shelton with all his: "You left me! How could you leave me?!"

For second . . . the plot I found pretty weak. I don't really understand what's going on. I mean what is Kane Co? What is Deluxe? What is Motorcity? What did Shelton do for Kane Co and where did Shelton come from that he would willingly work for Kane Co but then leave? The show threw a lot of information out in the first episode and it never really came together cohesively just lots of insane action and quick cuts.

I think to call the show revolutionary is a bit premature at this point but that's just my opinion. It's not revolutionary to me the way say Samurai Jack was revolutionary in 2001 with it's premiere movie. I think what is neat about the show is that it has that sort of unique, indy-pop art sort of look to it. Like graffiti art mixed with heavy metal rock band covers and style. But the show it reminds me the most of is honestly Hot Wheels Battle Force Five. Or like Battle Force Five meets Brutal Legend.

20. MDawg

I finally got around to watchnig the show today since I missed it last night (it's on Disney XD's site streaming for those people who don't want to go the iTunes route http://disney.go.com/xd/motorcity/videos/)

I must say I was impressed. The show is visually amazing and the soundtrack was good as well. It seems like normally when you have CG involved, it leads to laziness and a dead-looking environment *cough*Hot Wheels*cough*, but this show managed to hit that sweet spot with its hybridized 2D/3D look and I appreciate the care that went into it.

Plot? It was obvious what would happen and they tossed a lot at us, but it wasn't bad. I'm hoping for lots of development as the season goes along and I'm guessing Julie will get outed at some point as well, which should make for an interesting reveal. She doesn't really seem to have any love loss for her dad, so it bodes the question of why she just doesn't kill him and take over the place (barring of course that this is a kids show and the good guys are supposed to be moral and upstanding people :sweat:).

The show has lots of potential, and it looks like the fine folks at Titmouse have a winner on their hands. Lets hope Disney doesn't drop the ball with this one.