Most Surreal Animated Movies?

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Rabbitearsblog, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Rabbitearsblog

Rabbitearsblog Member

What were some of the most surreal (weirdest) animated movies have you seen? Mine's are:

Raggedy Ann and Andy's Musical Adventure - so many weird images and animation. Probably the scene that really stood out for me in this movie was the scene with the Greedy! I have never seen a candy monster that looks like goo and has pieces of candy on him and he just comes out of nowhere in the movie!
    The Thief and the Cobbler - all the characters just looked so odd, especially Zig Zag being all blue and everything! I remembered the sequence where the Cobbler was chasing the thief throughout the palace and the palace just turned into a crazy funhouse!
    The Nightmare Before Christmas - The whole movie was weird, but in a good way! I loved seeing all kinds of Halloween creatures roaming the town and I found the character Oogie Boogie to be the weirdest character I have ever seen!
    James and the Giant Peach - this movie was so trippy because it had a scary cloud rhino who supposedly ate James' parents and a huge mechanical shark that just appears out of nowhere!
    Coraline - this whole film was weird because Coraline is thrown into a weird world after the next and it really reminded me a bit of the dark version of Alice in Wonderland.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2011
  2. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

Little Nemo and Rock a Doodle are definitely up there as some of the strangest kid-flicks I have seen.

3. Rabbitearsblog

Rabbitearsblog Member

Oh yeah! I forgot about Rock a Doodle! That movie was so weird!

4. King9

King9 Embraced One

I find most Hayao Miyazaki movies are pretty mind-bending. Spirited Away is particularly strange at times No-Face, people turning into pigs, spirits. It is a strange, awesome movie.

5. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

Just a friendly mod reminder here. Please explain your reasons for your choices instead of listing them off in your posts. Lists threads aren't allowed here. They don't promote productive discussions for people to jump into to. Any future post here that just lists their choices will be subject to deletion and/or receiving an infraction. Please continue on with the discussion. Thank you.

6. Rabbitearsblog

Rabbitearsblog Member

I always thought that Spirited Away was the oddest movie Miyazaki ever made and the spirits in that movie were bizarre beyond all reason. The weirdest and creepiest spirit in that movie was No-Face.

7. Moriarty

Moriarty The Napoleon of Crime

Cat Soup. i think even the dvd case has a blurb about it being an acid trip. and it pretty much is. i won't even go into detail about it, but if you happen to come across it, its worth a watch. its only like 30 mins long i think.

Yellow Submarine is also pretty surreal. i mean, you have a giant hand flying around and all kinds of crazy things going on. and singing and dancing!

8. Undrave

Undrave Forever Burning Heart!

Oh man I barely recall watching Yellow Submarine as a kid, I really want to see it again.

How about most of the stuff produced in France? :p

"Le Secret des Sélénites" is just outright BIZARRE! Right down to the character animation with improbably anatomy that just WON'T STOP MOVING! They're always fidgeting in mind bending ways... and when they get to the moon and meets the three legged guys with floating heads...

And some of the stuff in The Twelves Labors of Asterix was really weird and completely out of line with the comics or other movies' continuity o.o like the utterly revisionist ending. I mean one scene has crocodiles jumping out of a ravines and balancing on an invisible wire to waltz music! To say nothing of all the really non-kid friendly aspects (the Isle of Pleasure anyone?).

Even the much more sensical Asterix & Cleopatra has that one musical number with the dancing food and singing cheese.

Brave Little Toaster can be quite surreal at times and slightly unnerving.

9. Rabbitearsblog

Rabbitearsblog Member

Oh yeah! Have you seen the French short animated film "Les Escargots" or "The Snails?" Now that was one weird short especially with the snails going giant because of a man's tears falling on them!

I also thought that the Brave Little Toaster was weird and scary at times. Oh man, I remembered that Clown nightmare that the Toaster had. Now that was truly weird and disturbing!

10. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!

I'm going to put in "Fantastic Planet."
    If you've never seen Fantastic Planet, you've have yet to be weirded out by Fantastic Planet.
    Giant blue aliens barely able to take a break from their transcendental meditation to wipe-out mankind.

11. HG Revolution

HG Revolution Truth (with crazy opinions!)

The End of Evangelion might be the most surreal. I mean, the bride of Satan eats the rotting clone of a mad scientist's wife and becomes a giant naked girl who turns people into goo at the wishes of the scientist's depressed son who pilots a robot and sort of has sex with the clone of his mom.

Paprika's also pretty crazy, especially with the visuals, but it makes a bit more sense given that all the craziness is supposed to be a representation of dreams. Perfect Blue from the same director might not be quite as over-the-top but the surreal elements in it are more confusing and disturbing.

12. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

Fantastic Mr. Fox was one of the weirdest thing that I've ever seen in my life. I think that I'm just not smart enough for the film, it's like the movie is intended for people that are a little more educated than I am. What can I say, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. :(

13. Urusei Yatsura

Urusei Yatsura The Revolutionist

I agree with everything HG said about the End of Evangelion...that movie is just...wow.

Utena: Adolescence Apocalypse has a bunch of....weird things. The best example being the main character literally turning into a car. Just about everything in that movie was a metaphor or a symbol for something. :sweat:

I also agree with Spirited Away, but I don't really find it that weird...

14. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Basically everything Don Bluth directed. And that includes Titan A.E.

15. Undrave

Undrave Forever Burning Heart!

I think it was the juxtaposition of this very educated, polite and calm british behavior they had combined with their very natural tendencies. Like whenever they ate like actual animals.

Also all the puppets were made of REAL animal fur.

I think it was more...off-kilter or off-beat than outright surreal. A tad absurb at times I grant you but I liked it well enough.

The National Film Board of Canada has some really unusual animated shorts in its collection, you can view almost all of it on their website. I think they have a youtube channel too.

16. Rabbitearsblog

Rabbitearsblog Member

I remembered Fantastic Planet! I remembered that my parents never let me watch that movie when I was little, but when I got older and I finally had the chance to look at it, I can easily see why my parents wouldn't let me watch that movie and it really was a surreal movie!