1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Most hated commercial? (Part 7)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by The Penguin, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Kung-Fu Yoshi

Kung-Fu Yoshi Active Member

While watching TruTV, I once saw this quit smoking commercial with this lady... I don't know who her name was, but I was unaware that the voice on the TV was her real, actual voice, from years of smoking at first. It was pretty creepy. I think it was the Terrie one Toon Master mentioned... Of course, the voice was really raspy, almost indichperable. I haven't seen it since.

2. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

And this year, in order to drive the point home even further, the anti-smoking spots from last year are being rerun now with the added captions that the people shown in those PSAs have since died form their conditions. Very creepy and sad.

3. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm getting to hate any commercial with a little "la la la dee dee dee" folksinger type song.
    I remember a time where I actually liked that, but there has been way too much of it.

4. Dantheman

Dantheman Active Member

That Taco Bell commercial with the song "Afternoon Delight". Because you want to use a song about daytime lovemaking (In the words of Ron Burgundy) in your ads for Mexican fast food.

5. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I've been seeing two different commercials for the HTC One, and as much as I like Gary Oldman . . . ugh, they are bad.

6. Kung-Fu Yoshi

I wanna hear about those.

7. Nel_Annette

Nel_Annette Living it up.

YEEEEES. That and that Samsung Galaxy Pro commercial where everyone's acting like jerks.

These smartphone commercials are coming off as incredibly arrogant.

8. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

This Surface ad with "carolers" trashing the Mac is really obnoxious.

9. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 She rocks both ways.

Y'know what I'm tired of? These recent smoking PSAs. One involving a cigarette being personified and "bullying" a kid, and another that involves somebody peeling their skin or yanking a tooth off to buy a pack. I understand the intentions, but do you have to make something corny and disgusting? Frankly, just make a commercial that explains why smoking is wrong instead of acting as if they're creations of Satan.

10. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

Those Discovery Family promos for LPS (2012) and MLP:FiM are really making me question why I ever bothered with either show at all, especially MLP, myself, with just how lame / worthless they are... And that all just feels like a nitpick.

I personally want to go vampire overlord on these obnoxious Surface ads I'm seeing on certain sites. Even if I needed a new laptop badly, I would never buy anything from these jerks - they are one of many a pox on Christmas.

11. Kung-Fu Yoshi

I never cared for those shows either. Besides, by the time 2020 comes -- people will too look back and ask why they were obsessed with those shows. The bronies are pretty bad.

On-topic:

Those ''Marshmallow World'' commercials are pretty annoying. They keep on playing them all the time. The song is what gets me. The commercials haven't played long though, so it'll be a long time before I hate it.

I don't really like most of the kid-directed commercials on Nick and CN. Kinda cringe-worthy, even more the girl-directed ones. I got a Pokemon disc in the mail from Peter -- the commercials on ''Problem with Paras'' lacked most of the cringe. The Lucky Charms one made me cringe less then the recent ''hourglasses, rainbows and tasty red balloons'' one.

#391 Kung-Fu Yoshi, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2014
  12. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Everybody scream! This is Halloween!

Oh man, I feel the same way about these too. They always go for the "scare 'em straight" route and stuff like that is why its hard to take PSAs seriously.

13. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

14. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

You know why we see nothing but "scare em' straight" ads for drugs like this?

1) No one is allowed to just straight up say on TV "don't buy this, please; it's bad for you", without getting sued by corporates in the US anymore. I'm sure in other, better places in the world, that's NOT the case (except maybe the UK...).

2) If people doing this nonsense were able to legitimately do #1 without that fear, drugs would likely be a niche thing, and corporations who do so can't have that.

Either way, I wish someone would be smart, or just brave enough, to try #1, instead of annoying us to death with trash that doesn't treat the infection, let alone tackle the disease!

15. Kung-Fu Yoshi

Yeah, they should do #1... or do a prohibition thing and ban cigarettes all together.

16. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Active Member

How about the modern Kit-Kat commercials? It's annoying how instead of having people sing the jingle, they just set any sound to it.

17. Kung-Fu Yoshi

I thought those commercials were nice, but I never heard the actual jingle anyway, so...

18. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

These horrible ads. They have a series of them all with this lady and she squeaks by the punchable faces of the Amazon Fire Phone kids as most-irritating character in an commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk8RnPfj3iU

19. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

The commercial for fake milk with the woman in the supermarket. I'm fine with them talking about the fake milk until they get to the part where it doesn't cause tummy upset, and the woman gestures by putting her hand BELOW her belt. At that point I want to puke. Just keep it above the belt. How high is she wearing her belt? I don't want to think about any of that. That's not good for selling a food product.

It is really annoying for being a Christmas ad done too early and the guys voice sounds like a Joe Schmoe but I guess there is a marketing reason for that. However, I think the ad does a good job showing why a person should want the product.
    What is worse though is the Jimmy Fallon ad for the iPhone. I never noticed how his voice alone puts me off. And the ad makes the product look like an unnecessary toy you are throwing your time and money away on if you buy it. Which in all probability is exactly what the target audience is proud of.

20. Kung-Fu Yoshi

Heard the Terrie smoking ad on the radio yesterday. It's basically the TV ad that's aired recently, except she sings ''Wheels on the Bus'' after the spiel.

I can't decide whether it's spooky or funny. It's creepy, but the voice makes me laugh and I feel guilty.

#400 Kung-Fu Yoshi, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2014