1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Most hated commercial? (Part 7)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by The Penguin, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Worse than one of those little blue crunchy things

"Play 'U Can't Touch This.'"

[song plays]

"Play 'I Have Eyes Everywhere.'"

[song plays]

"Play 'Keep Your Hands To Yourself.'"

[song plays]

"Play 'You Lay One Finger on My Daughter and They'll Never Find Your Body.'"

[song plays]

2. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

First time I saw that one, I had no idea where they were going with it. Once I saw what the punchline was, I thought it was hilarious. :D

3. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

Not exactly hate, but the Old Spice commercial about the moms singing about their little boys "becoming men" was pretty depressing. I hugged my mom after I saw it.

4. langden alger

langden alger Active Member

I found it both funny and extremely creepy...especially when the mom is hiding in the curtains and you only see her eyes and mouth-and when the mom is just being moved across the floor with a stop motion effect...

oh and to throw in another one:

'Oh it's such a perfect day. I'm glad I spent it with you.'..........

I started out thinking it was a good and funny ad, but they play it so damn much no that I hate it and I'm flat out sick of it....

5. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Active Member

Any commercial that screams "State Farm" or "Progressive".

6. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Worse than one of those little blue crunchy things

Thank you, Cadillac, for reminding me during every ad break of how much I hate "Stacy's Mom".

7. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Glad to know I'm not the only one who can't stand that song, and I love MILFs.

8. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

"Stacy's Mom" is an awesome song. But its use in the Cadillac commercial is . . . odd. Same with that yogurt commercial I keep seeing that uses "Hungry Like the Wolf."

9. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Dairy Queen's got a current ad starring one of the biggest tools I've seen in a while.

"They call it four pieces of breaded chicken. I call it Hashtag Delicious."
    Don't you just want to punch him?

"It's more than good. It's Blizzard good."
    Oh shut up, no one's that much of a slave to DQ.

Also, I've had the chicken basket they're promoting here, many times. It's average.

10. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

"Get your billion back, America!"

Tax season is always guaranteed to bring out some obnoxious commercials.

11. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

The Olympics McNugget commercial makes me cringe. Why would they want people to equate biting into a McNugget will be like biting a disk of hard metal?

12. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 She rocks both ways.

I'm still confused about McDonald's sponsoring the Olympics. I don't think Shaun White eats a Big Mac.

13. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Not to mention implying it's just as unsanitary. I was just coming here to mention this ad.

14. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This guy is apparently a big fan. :)

15. TenPoundHammer

TenPoundHammer Wanna be on Wheel of Fortune

A local CBS affiliate has a lot of in-studio ads consisting just of graphics and voiceovers. One is for a golf voucher valid at a bunch of local courses. To promote it, they have an image of a crown-wearing golf ball who is supposed to be a "golf god". And his voiceover is just the same guy who does most of their ads, but with his voice pitch-shifted so he sounds more deep and commanding or something. But they only pitch shift the voice a little bit, so you can still totally tell it's him, and it just sounds more like a really bad technical glitch than god-like.

It reminds me of a radio ad I first heard 12 years ago for a local car wash. They used a pitched-up chipmunk voice for a talking salt crystal attached to someone's car. I thought it was actually kind of cute and inoffensive. But after it had been in rotation for a couple winters, they slowed the ad down some, so that the voice was barely pitched-up at all, and it made it really obvious whose voice it was. I would turn it off every time it came on. (It was actually created by a different local station, but I didn't listen to that station much at the time, so I don't know if the slowing down was their doing or not.)

The ad was gone for a long time, and I thought it was the end of that. A couple years ago, I heard it in rotation again on the station that created it, but thankfully, it was sped back up to the original voice. And just this month, I heard the original version again.

tl;dr: If you're gonna pitch shift, at least change the pitch enough to disguise the voice. Otherwise, it's just the auditory equivalent of uncanny valley.

16. Toon Master

Toon Master Active Member

I've already complained about the "Tips from Former Smokers" ad campaign by the CDC before, but they've gotten 100% more disturbing. The two new ones I've
    seen on TV feature Terrie (whom you've seen from that other disturbing commercial) and a man named Nathan. The "Terrie" ad features a short clip of her dying
    in the hospital and the "Nathan" ad tells us he died of second hand smoke. If you've seen these ads you know how disturbing they are.
    I know this ad campaign was designed to be scary, but does anyone else think this is a bit too much?

17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

That new Jack in a Box commercial that first aired during the Super Bowl where they're singing at the farm bothers me. He's openly admitting to illegal genetic experiments, how is he still in business? :p

18. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Nope. I've seen a person dying from smoking in real life. Scarier than any commercial could be.

19. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty much every anti-smoking commercial I've ever seen has been so awful they almost make me want to start smoking just out of spite. Yes, smoking is unhealthy (duh), but nobody forces you to smoke. One of the worst ads was that one a couple years ago that portrayed cigarette smoke as an anthropomorphic force that deliberately seeks out babies, even opening bedroom doors along the way.

20. langden alger

langden alger Active Member

The ad with the bankers eating brownies and cakes given to them
    because of how great they are....it really just annoys me when they're talking with they're mouths full. I always wanna change the channel when it's on.