1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

More old favorites rebooted

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by hobbyfan, Mar 16, 2009.

1. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

That would be me. Just look at them, you don't think there are simularties? Though I don't know if Lindsay has Melody pure child like innoence and impossibility to hate. In both the comics and the cartoon, even Alexandra had a soft spot for Melody. Most of her hostility and schemes were aimed at Josie and sometimes Valerie. Rarely Melody.

One word to describe Melody no matter what she does, you can't stay mad at her. In the comics one of the recurring gags is Josie and Valerie's jealous towards the attention Melody gets from boys. But they never take it out on her, I remember in one comic, they were at the beach and as usual Melody got all the boy's attention and these boys upset that Melody spurned their affection start picking on her, Josie and Valerie save her.

Though some wonder if Melody is smarter than she acts, there was the car wash episode. The gang was washing a car, they try to assign Melody various tasks and she always messed up. In the last frame, you see them all working except Melody who is sitting on a hammeck with a drink while everyone else works.

2. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

The movie was 10 years ago. Not sure if NBC-Universal still has the rights. They probably don't, which would explain Boomerang's recent fauxmercial that I cited in the earlier post.

The perception I always had was that the gang were not in high school. Alan, in particular, looked too adult to be a teenager, even a high school senior. I would rather suggest they'd be in college.

The last two options make the most sense, magicdog. The Cabots, I thought, might be rather wealthy to begin with.

I thought he was more into Melody, to be honest with you. I felt she was more his speed.

I can see Val still being the tech whiz of the group, a MacGyver before there was a MacGyver. ;) :D Melody being more of the naive type makes sense, too.

True. A full tour might not be feasible, but doing talk/variety shows (i.e. Ellen, Letterman, etc.) might not be so bad......

3. Atomic tea bag

Kenny - you have obviously put a lot of time and effort into your idea for a new version of The Impossibles - but I really think they would be best used for a totally original cartoon - The Impossibles, (as I mentioned on the previous post on this topic), is my all-time favourite cartoon and I really feel that any but very minor changes will just be fixing what was never broken. You mentioned Bouncing Boy of the Legion of Super Heroes at one point - the Legion was my favourite super hero comic but all the reboots, going for "darker" tales, etc. totally spoiled it for me. The only real changes I would like for a new Impossibles series is longer episodes, (but more 10-15 minutes, maybe 25 for holiday specials), so we could hear one of their songs, (perhaps 2 for the specials), in full in each episode. And one thing I would change - which you would actually expand on - is to have no magical themes or characters. Very difficult to mix magic and sci-fi themes, (I love both separately), and for me it just did not work for this series. Just as I did not think the White Witch was a good choice for a Legion member - in her own comic, though, she could have been DC's answer to Dr. Strange and Harry Potter! I really like the fact that the Impossible's background, family history, etc. was not shown - I love the mystery of that and would prefer it to stay that way - the same for Big D, if not more so. I wouldn't like to see new members as either heroes or musicians - heroes who helped them out would be great, but not as team members. And possibly see them "jamming! with other musicians on stage now and again - as one-shots and not established characters like Josie and the Pussycats - that would just take attention away from the Impossibles. Perhaps have recurrent characters like girl friends, other agents, etc. pop up from time to time to add to the cast of characters. And keep it light-hearted fun but still, needless to say, with the emphasis on defeating wrong-doers and the team-work and friendship between the heroes. And I certainly would not want any but the most minor changes in their appearance. I really like their original costumes and looks except for Coil Man's cowl, (I have done fan art pictures in which he just has a mask shaped much like the cowl's eye section). If going for a more realistic look it should still look like the original Impossibles - they should be immediately recognisable. Sorry - you are good at art, I must say, but seeing my all-time favourite cartoon crush - Multi Man - reimaged as some muscle-bound jock-type with a neat nose and neat hair is just NOT what I want - he should stay skinny with a big nose and long shaggy hair falling over his eyes. Then and now I think he's the cutest character in the history of animation - and the Impossibles is the best cartoon.The fact that the heroes had different looks and body types and were all regarded as heart-throbs in the '60's cartoon said clearly that there is more than one way to look good. (Admittedly you have kept Coil Man's figure much the same).I really do think that what worked then would work now, (and indeed does - this and other old cartoons have many fans including those who were not even born until long after they first aired)! Again I really do not intend to offend you as I think you have great ideas and have put a lot of care and thought into them - I just would not like to see them used for the Impossibles. I wonder if it would be best if this cartoon was never redone?

4. Atomic tea bag

Sorry - meant previous thread on this topic!