1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

More old favorites rebooted

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by hobbyfan, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Kenny E. McCall

Kenny E. McCall We fight like cats!

As for the Bat and the Falcon, it was excellent by any means. But I would have Ace the Bat-Hound team up with Dynomutt in a future fanfic, that way, things will be more equal between the two crimefighter.

Now, if the current Blue Falcon, Randall Crown, would team-up with someone more on his level, it would be Bruce's own son, either Terry McGinnis (Batman Beyond) or Damian Wayne (Brave and the Bold). My money's on McGinnis, since both young men would be wearing high-tech versions of their fathers' costumes at this time.

If a more updated version of Dynomutt is to appear, it would be as the partner of Randall's sister, Rachael, aka the Scarlet Dove. She would be on her own in another city at that future time, and Frank Welker still does the voice, but, the new Dyno 2.0 would have a voice similar to both Soundwave and Ravage from Transformers G1.

Now, how about a team up between Mighty Samson and Goliath, and Superman and Krypto?

Kenny :cool:

2. Nickle98499

Nickle98499 Member

Sounds like a winner to me; oh by the way, Kenny since you and hobbyfan are so good at fan fic ideas I might have to talk to you a lot more on Yahoo Messenger maybe

Oh, and Kenny I sent you a friend request for Yahoo Messenger, hopefully you got it

3. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Hmm, since Superman has met a Jewish hero (Seraph) in the pages of Super Friends, another hero with a Biblical theme (of sorts) wouldn't be a bad idea. This would give us a chance to explore Samson's heretofore untold origin.......!

Not so sure about Krypto meeting Goliath, though. ;) :D

Now, if WB were to acquire the license from the Earl Derr Biggers estate, we might finally have Scooby meet the Chan Clan, something that should've happened during the Scooby-Doo Movies run (1972-74), but didn't, which tells you something about who was getting priority treatment at H-B at the time. The Harlem Globetrotters' series had ended, yet they teamed with Mystery Inc. a couple of times, and the crossovers with Josie presented continuity problems because of the Josie in Outer Space series. As we all know, the Movies helped launch Super Friends (Batman & Robin's 2 appearances) & Addams Family, albeit with those shows airing on other networks, and season 2 saw Jeannie & Speed Buggy get the rub. But, why not the Chan Clan, whose series was the only other first year series from H-B in '72 that would've fit right in with Scooby (since the Flintstones obviously couldn't)? Maybe the Biggers estate might hold the answer to that one.

Anyway, I'd set it as it was meant to be, so that Fred in particular doesn't come off as the airheaded geek he is now. Nickle, care to jump in?

4. Nickle98499

Nickle98499 Member

Thanks Kenny; let's see: Scooby and the Chan Clan... I really have nothing here, although I did have an idea rolling around in my head that was based off an old Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew TV episode:

Basically the episode was the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew attending a detectives convention in Hollywood and having to solve a mystery involving a phantom who keeps kidnapping the other detectives, maybe you could do something like that for a crossover, other then that...

5. hobbyfan

Sounds like a plan, Nickle. I like!

6. Nickle98499

Nickle98499 Member

Really? Glad you like it; basically it was a Scooby fan fic idea that I had that would be kind of like that episode I mentioned, but I haven't managed to get it off the ground yet

7. magicdog

magicdog Active Member

I agree. One of the things that used to annoy me with some of the HB adventure cartoons, (besides often failing to have a proper conclusion) was a backstory as to how the character got to where s/he is now. The Impossibles never explained how they obtained their powers (Mutants like X-men? Created in a lab like the Power Puff Girls? Musicians exposed to "Chemical X"?) and we never knew about Samson & Goliath either.

If it were up to me, I'd have Young Samson a descendant of the biblical one, who received the wristbands that gave him his powers of super strength (part of me wants to use more biblical/Judeo-Christian concepts but without pounding viewers with them head on) and hopefully explain the point of Goliath as a dog turned lion - who happens to have laser vision. Perhaps explain why such a young boy is also seen traveling alone (the HB version was still a teen, so you wonder why he wasn't in school or living at home) or define how Samson is supposed to get involved to "right the wrongs" (as it is the hero's tradition). Perhaps less of the super villians we saw on the original show and something more down to earth.

I like this scenerio. It's be a hoot to have several HB "Scooby clones" at such a convention! If only for some strategic and giggle worthy cameos! Imagine Goober & The Ghost Chasers, Inch High, Clue Club, Cavy & the Teen Angels, et al all wandering in the background.

I think one of the problems with trying to mix the Chan Clan with the Scooby gang would have been the number of family members/would be detectives. After all you have four teens and a dog to start with who do their "split up" routine and the Chan Clan had 10 kids who would break up into 3 separate groups to go clue hunting. Also, the way the CC show was written the kids rarely found any viable clues - their scenes seemed to be a series of non sequiters that had nothing to do with the mystery at hand - and their father would ultimately solve the case from the sidelines. At least the gang used to find viable clues to their mysteries.

8. hobbyfan

Back in the 60's, they never bothered with origin stories on TV. They figured, here's someone new, we hope you like him/her, and that's it. Today's audience is trained to learn every detail. Agreed on the Christian angle for Samson. They can say he was orphaned at a young age, or so he was told, and once he learns his parents may actually be alive, he sets out on a quest to find them, stopping here and there to deal with various problems, but not the kind he fought 43 years ago. Hmmmm, even though Kenny came up with an idea, I think, magicdog, you just gave me an even better one!

9. hobbyfan

Well, here we go again. This one's called "The Dogs of Justice".

The setting: sometime around 1979-80, shortly after the debut of Scrappy Doo.

Our story begins in suburban Coolsville (Mystery Inc.'s original home base, before it was retconned into Crystal Cove in the current series).

Returning home from a lengthy road trip, Norville "Shaggy" Rogers, along with Scooby & Scrappy, and Scooby's cousin, Scooby Dum, are stunned to discover a fortune in gold and cash buried in the backyard of the Rogers house. Stunned disbelief quickly turns to disbelief when the police arrive-----and arrest Shaggy on suspicion of robbery!!

The scene repeats itself 3 more times, as Daphne Blake, Velma Dinkley, & Fred Jones eventually join Shaggy in the city lockup. The police found jewels hidden in Daphne's bedroom. Fred's fingered as the getaway driver, and Velma as the lookout. After repeatedly explaining their recent adventures out of town, Fred is able to contact a county sheriff in Florida who can vouch for them, and the four detectives are released on bail. However, the mayor has revoked their licenses for an indefinite period.

Scrappy, upon hearing of the robberies, notes that neither he nor Scooby have been fingered in the cases. That leaves them & Scooby Dum free to conduct their own investigation, but they need help, and fast! Arrangements are made, bringing the Clue Club to Coolsville, so Woofer & Whimper can help. Scooby contacts his pal Dynomutt in Big City, and Dyno wrangles a way to reach his best bud for a rare case without Blue Falcon.

News of Mystery Inc.'s supposed turn to crime has, of course, reached the Hall of Justice, where Batman & Robin are on monitor duty. Batman asserts, however, that if they were to come to Coolsville, it would call too much attention, and instead Ace, the Bat-Hound, is sent, but not alone...........

Fred, Daphne, Velma, & Shaggy are brought before the town justice for a preliminary hearing. All 4 plead innocent, of course, but the DA wonders why the dogs aren't there, aside from the obvious reasons. Meanwhile, Scooby & Scrappy welcome Ace, Dynomutt, Woofer, & Whimper. Scrappy reads a letter stating that Goober couldn't make it, as he's away on other business. Krypto arrives, having received word via his master, Superman. Scrappy begins to formulate a plan........

Later that same night, 4 thieves break into the Coolsville Museum. Scrappy, Ace, & Krypto had the museum staked out. The fact that thieves are in fact dressed exactly like the MI team has Scrappy confused long enough for them to escape, but Krypto tells Scrappy he has a surprise for the thieves. Scrappy contacts Dyno & Scooby, who are at the library, guarding a priceless manuscript from the 18th century, said to be worth millions. A couple of hours later, and the thieves hit the library, entering through the roof as they did at the museum. Like Scrappy, Scooby is confused by the resemblance to his friends, but Dynomutt alertly captures Daphne & Shaggy's twins while the others escape.

The next morning, the two crooks awaken to find themselves surrounded by the dogs. The fake Shaggy & Daphne are in fact a brother & sister team, hired, along with their two friends, by a very wealthy man who'd been thwarted by Mystery Inc. a few years ago when he tried a fake monster scam to buy up some rural property really cheap, then sell it for a profit. Ace uses Bat-Sleep (sleeping gas) on the two, and Krypto makes a call...........

Later, the crooks appear to have reunited at Coolsville's most prominent hotel, where Roland Sanderson, now passing himself off as, oddly enough, a crusading journalist working on a story, is staying while working on what he says is an expose of Mystery, Inc. As the meeting is convened, a hotel concierge and a maid enter to inform Sanderson that someone from the local television station is downstairs in the lobby, waiting to meet him. The maid & the concierge leave, and Sanderson, accompanied by 3 bodyguards, begins to follow, reminding his hired charges that they have one last job to do at the mayor's mansion to "completely discredit those meddling kids once and for all!".

"That's all we needed to hear!", Daphne says, and whistles for the dogs. She & Shaggy have replaced their dopplegangers, while Fred & Velma were the concierge & maid, respectively. Dyno & Scooby Dum collide, as do Woofer & Whimper, but before Sanderson and his henchmen can reach the lobby, they find Ace & Krypto waiting for them. The crooks u-turn and head for a back exit. Sanderson reaches his limo, and pulls out, but fails to notice an eagle following him.

Fred loads the dogs, save of course for Krypto & Dynomutt, who can fly, into the Mystery Machine, which was stashed in the parking lot under a tarpaulin. The eagle contacts Ace on his wrist radio, and that enables Mystery Inc. to catch up to Sanderson. However, Sanderson manages to evade his pursuers, but finds another problem-----Batman & Robin, Superman, & Blue Falcon have the road blocked. The police chief arrives with the Clue Club (the eagle was also in touch with Dottie).

At City Jail, Sanderson confesses. He wanted to get even with Mystery, Inc. for ruining his operations in Florida, and had the perfect plan, to hit them, literally, right where they lived. He just didn't count on the dogs banding together, though.

This time, there's no way Woofer can claim any sort of credit, as Ace, Krypto, & Scrappy are quick to remind him. Superman is impressed with the dogs' teamwork, and Scooby is quick to give his nephew the credit. Scrappy takes his bows, and explains that he wanted to prove he & his fellow canines were just as capable of solving a case on their own. It was Dottie who put him in touch with Ace, who in turn set him up not only with Krypto, but also the Wonder Twins (Jayna was the eagle, of course; Zan was in the Batmobile, trailing the action).

Fred & Shaggy are both smitten with Jayna, after seeing how beautiful she is, but of course, Daphne & Velma bring the boys back to Earth.

"We originally were going to have Jayna run with the dogs, but then Scrappy suggested that they might need some recon in the air", Robin explained, "which just happens to be what Jayna does best."

As it turns out, nobody noticed that Zan & Daphne apparently were checking each other out.

One of these days, Mystery, Inc. will visit the Hall of Justice, but that's for another time.....

10. Nickle98499

Nickle98499 Member

Holy Cow! This is great! Hobbyfan, you did another great job with this idea of yours; if this were ever produced by Warner Brothers, I would watch it religiously, and I have to say you're probably one of the best when it comes to things like this/proposed cartoon series.

You should seriously think about writing some of these down as fan fics, I would read them and I would pass them along to others as well; seriously, these are fantastic!

11. hobbyfan

I'm thinking of printing these out when I get a free second, and contemplate the prospects of fan-fics.

You'll notice, too, I left the Twins' pet, Gleek, out of the story. I've got plans for him, though, down the line.......

12. hobbyfan

Time to kick this thread back up.

I've read where Daisy Mayhem, who was a member of the Really Rottens (Laff-a-Lympics, 1977-79) was based on Moonbeam McSwine, from the L'il Abner strip. With a name like Daisy Mayhem, however, a career change may be in order.

The plot I have in mind goes like this. Daisy's off on her own after the Laff-a-Lympics have ended, still rotten to the core, but when she fights off a county sheriff's deputies trying to arrest her for robbery, the sheriff suddenly gets an idea.

The sheriff has a brother who's a wrestling promoter, looking for his next big star. The sheriff offers Daisy a real sweet deal. She has the look and the attitude to be a wrestler, and the sheriff will drop the charges if Daisy will agree to become a wrestler. Figuring on a steady paycheck for the first time in her life, Daisy agrees.

Pro wrestling has had hillbilly characters, both male & female, over the years, but when Daisy hits the mat, chaos is sure to follow, along with her one eyed pig, Sooey.

Mouseworkz (working title): After years of being a sidekick to Snooper, Blabber decides to go on his own as a detective, and discovers that he is and always has been a better crime solver than Snooper ever was, but he just didn't realize it. Teaming with Pixie & Dixie & Mushmouse as operatives, Blabber opens the Mouseworkz Detective Agency. These mice can get into places ordinary gumshoes can't, and if the Police miss a clue, they're bound to find it. The spelling of Mouseworkz is on purpose because of a previous Disney series (Mickey's Mouseworks).

Coming soon: Courageous Cat & Minute Mouse, and Batfink.

13. magicdog

magicdog Active Member

I like the concept and I can see Daisy being a badass wrestler (or maybe a roller derby girl), but I'm not too keen on her being a criminal. I'd rather see her live up to her name in other ways - at worst stealing/borrowing cars or running moonshine type of thing. Maybe painting graffitti on the water tower or wrasslin' with the boys. Someone who's not rotten per se just always in some sort of trouble (think "Dukes of Hazzard" sort of trouble). She's loud and brash and lives on her own terms and doesn't care about what the rest of us think.

I kind of like this although it's very 80s/90s in concept. It reminds me a bit of "Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers". I also think Mushmouse might be almost a duplicate for Dixie (both are southern mice even though Pixie seemed more genteel while Mushmouse was from the rough and tumble hillbilly country).

It's been a while since I've seen the Blabber/Snooper shorts but didn't Blabber prove to be a real novice compared to Snoop? As I recall Snooper took him on but Blabber was still quite green in the biz and tended to slip up.

14. hobbyfan

That does make a better plot idea, magicdog.

Yah, Blabber was the protege, but you'd think enough time has passed where Blabber has gotten past the point of being a detective-in-traning. My idea is that very thing. After apprenticing under Snooper for several years, Blabber goes off on his own. We can say Mushmouse is a distant cousin of Pixie & Dixie to explain all three being part of this.

15. magicdog

magicdog Active Member

Thanks hobbyfan! I aim to please ;o)

16. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

After watching the latest episode of the Nostalgic Critic, I am in an Inspector Gadget mode.

How about an Inspector Gadget in which Penny just graduated the police department (and of the youngest graduates to boot) and ready to follow in her uncle's footsteps to fight crime. Dr. Claw is long dead, the new primiary villain is his son, who is the new leader of Mad. As for Gadget, lot of possiblities, he could be retired and be a civilain that (tries) to mentor Penny, he could be promoted to the cheif of police, though that is too similar to the ill fated Get Smart Again, or he could still have his old job and Penny would be his partnet.

#196 zoombie, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2011
  17. hobbyfan

Hmmmmm. Seeing as how Disney went DTV with a live-action sequel to Gadget (subbing French Stewart for Matthew Broderick), they're in no hurry to revisit the series. They own the rights, not Cookie Jar (which bought DIC). You do, however, have a good idea.

18. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Thanks hobbyfan.

Some details have to be worked out, such who is the pirmary villain is and all. Will Dr. Claw still be the main villain or have the role passed on to another. The basic premese is, a time skip in which Penny is a crime fighter. After some debating over weather Gadget is retired, promoted to cheif, or statous quo.I think that idea works best in which Gadget is still doing what he does, and Penny is his partner. Similar to a father / daughter detective team from a book which name I don't remember, or to a lesser exdent Maxwell Smart and agent 99 in Get Smart. If anyone knows the name of the book that had a father / daughter team, I would love to know.

In a way things haven't really changed, only it is not a secret so much that Penny is helping Gadget. Though much she and Brain help Gadget, he still probably aloof to that. Go back to my Maxwell Smart comparison, sometimes 99 would come up with an idea and Smart would say let me handle this and than come up with the exact same idea and they pretend it was Smart's idea all along. I think their partnership would be something like that.

#198 zoombie, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2011
  19. hobbyfan

The recent faux hosiery ad starring Josie & the Pussycats on Boomerang has me thinking that WB could still hold the rights to use the characters for cartoons.

41 years ago, Hanna-Barbera obtained a license to adapt Josie for television, shoehorning the band into a Scooby Doo-style format (they did the same with the Harlem Globetrotters the same year). But what if WB decided to bring the Pussycats back in a new series (after the necessary license arrangements with Archie Comics)?

The emphasis this time would be on the music, and not amateur detective work. Also, Alexandra Cabot would be allowed to use witchcraft, something that was taken away back in 1970 (because Archie stablemate Sabrina had her own series at the time, coupled then with the Groovie Goolies), which would make her more of a threat, but, as per normal, Alexandra's schemes will still backfire. There will be more attention given to Josie's romance with Alan, and a little more background for Valerie & Melody. Subtract the danger-detecting ear wiggling, and make Melody more of a sympathetic character, as we can say her "stereotypical dumb blonde" is the result of, say, dyslexia, although she is a very adept drummer.

To help things along, WB could hold an open casting call to fill out a real-life reincarnation of the band to go on tour to support the show.

Agree or disagree? Feedback is welcome, of course.

20. magicdog

magicdog Active Member

As far as I understand it Josie is owned not ny the WB/HB but Universal (who made the feature film). I remember creator Dan DeCarlo fought to get the rights back but lost.. then died shortly afterward.

I agree about taking away the "foiling supervillians" storylines but what would they be doing when not performing? Would they still be teens going to HS?

It could be tricky. Even the movie chose to ignore the magical element Alexandra had in the comics. It's possible it could be too much. Were there any specific limits to the magic and how to make it backfire? I remember Alexandra had to make her magical wish/spell then stroke Sebastian's fur (who was supposedly the reincarnation of the Cabot's ancestor - a warlock). Somehow this makes Alexandra more powerful unless we find some way of neutalizing it - or making Alexandra having to use her magic for good a number of times in order to have a chance to use it for personal gain. Also, you'd have to make Alexandra useful (magic or no). Remember that line in the film, when Alexander asks her, "Just why are you here?" She wasn't a band member, not a roadie like Alan, not the manager like Alex. Perhaps one could have her as a financial backer (to keep Cabot Management, Inc. alive) or someone with contacts to get the gigs (which is why she's a partner with Alex).

Alex himself would be in need of recharacterization. In the original series they made him a Shaggy clone (as a coward who was looking to hide from trouble). This time we could make him more like his comic counterpart (kind of a jerk) but a likeable and useful jerk. Would we also have him going after Josie (like he did in the comics) or leave that out completely?

I like this, although I hope Valerie could still be the tech geek she was in the early days. She'd be the one who repairs the amps, etc. when the band can't afford to get something new or fancy. Melody was always a bit of a dim bulb, once someone compared her to Lindsay on Total Drama Action. Perhaps she's more naive than outright dumb.

This too can be tricky - it might be better to get a good group of studio musicians/singers and release a soundtrack for the series instead. It can be tough to get enough support for a ready made band and get them to tour and sell out venues.