"Monsuno" News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by ChibiGoku, Jan 17, 2012.

1. ChibiGoku

ChibiGoku Something Not Quite Right

Hopefully no one will mind me making this topic, since there really... isn't a place on the forums to discuss this. Also, would anyone mind mirroring this to the Anime forum as well?

Anyways, onto the discussion:

[​IMG]

Monsuno is an upcoming Japanese-American animated series on Nicktoons, produced by Dentsu, Jakks Pacific, FremantleMedia Enterprises, and The Topps Company.

I'm not entirely sure of the story, but I will place it here once I can find a decent synopsis of it. Apparently my ability to Google has failed me there...

The series is scheduled to hit air on February 2012 on Nicktoons in the United States. It is also scheduled to hit Japan and start broadcasting in October 2012. Bandai will also distribute the toy line in Japan and will be sold starting in September 2012.

For those curious what the show looks like in motion, Nicktoons has posted two preview videos (which you can view here) for you to view.

As for my personal opinion? I'm... a little skeptical. I've generally enjoyed the "mon" concept of animation, at least to some degree. But honestly, those animated clips... it feels really stiff. It's almost as if the animation studio is working with a shoestring budget, especially when anime in Japan is generally already at a low budget. While I won't judge until I see an episode, I'm a little afraid of how it's going to turn out. Also, the dub sounds.... :shrug:

Anyways, how are you guys feeling about this?

Update #1 - Added additional information to Japanese airdate and details when the toyline will hit Japan.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2012
  2. zoombie

zoombie Active Member

I am just glad with the Dragon Ball franchise success that Nicktoons is having success with Japanese cartoons, and while this is not pure anime, it still like anime. I hope this leads to Nicktoons airing Digimon Xros Wars if and when a dub is made.

3. firefoxprime

firefoxprime 90s = Golden Years

Honestly...the creators in the preview made the showsound like its a brand new concept. I dunno...I kinda already got my monster fix from Redakai, Chaotic, and Bakugan. Animation looks along the same vein as Chaotic, which okay.I'll check it out, but its still good to see a channel devoting some time on new semi-anime, however toyetic it may be.

4. Dudley

Dudley Moderator Moderator

I've seen the previews on television, and it looks like the same kind of monster battle cartoon we've seen numerous times before, just to sell some toy.

5. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Active Member

'
    My thoughts exactly. That does not mean it will be bad it just does not seem to be adding anything new to the table.

6. FFmax

FFmax Pangoro's Bizarre Adventure

I saw the preview as well, while it isn't anything groundbreaking it has me intrigued at least. I'll give this a look.

7. macattack

macattack I see you! Reporter

The only significant surprise is that Karen Strassman's real voice doesn't sound anything like the usual characters she plays. And here I thought she always sounded like Kallen.

Other than that, nothing that hasn't been done before and better. Pass.

EDIT: Well . . . okay, it looks better than Voltron Force. Not a ringing endorsement, I know, but maybe this will be decent. I'll give it my "four episode" rule.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2012
  8. PC!

PC! lolwut?

It's so weird seeing a "behind-the-scenes" look at a show that's clearly animated in Japan with a creator who's clearly American.

Not really enough footage to really judge it. I'm definitely willing to give it a shot.

9. Dudley

Dudley Moderator Moderator

Is anyone bothered by the character's voices heard in the commercial? It sounds so bland, and obnoxious.

10. macattack

Karen Strassman (speaking of her) really bungled a line in that trailer but there wasn't anything else that stood out either good or bad.

11. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Kirk Thorton is very talented but the man really needs to stop voicing teenagers.

12. macattack

I don't really blame Thornton for anything but trying out for the role. The directors and producers are the ones who think Thornton can play a teen.

I am mystified why these people don't hire Okratron 5000, where a zillion Texans who can convincingly voice teens await. I mean, if I made a cartoon with a zillion teens that's where I'd go.

13. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

Are Texas dubs union? There's a reason why all of these Nick, CN, and Disney shows are done in Los Angeles, other than it being close to HQ.

14. macattack

Didn't stop a zillion cartoons back in the day from going to Canada for voiceovers. Texas is the new Canada these days except they're not being utilized that way.

15. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

Alot of Canadian audio work is union...

The reason why US productions would often come to Canada is due to the exchange rate being heavily in their favour. That's no longer the case due to the US's economic collapse, so it's no longer as cheap to do things in Canada as it once was.

Lastly, Canada is the new Canada. There's a tonne of shows (anime or otherwise) done in Vancouver, Calgary, and Toronto that I guarantee you don't know about. Much more so than Texas at least.

16. macattack

Okratron has done union work though. Halo Wars and multiple Guitar Hero games, anyone? Just because Texas is a right-to-work state doesn't mean that union projects can't happen there.

I know that Canada produces a lot of cartoons, and the various anime Sony has put on Crackle tend to have Ocean Westwood or Blue Water as the primary dubbing studios.It's not my fault that I don't know much about them as no one is giving a concerted effort to bring said Canadian toons on watchable channels or timeslots.

17. ChibiGoku

ChibiGoku Something Not Quite Right

Small update. According to Nicktoons' latest promo, the series is scheduled to air on February 20. Still no exact time given though.

Although I'm mixed about some of the things of this series, I do hope that this does well for Nicktoons.

18. macattack

Well at least that promo makes the animation look better than the first one did . . .

I also hope it does okay. If DBGT and Monsuno do well it might encourage more anime on the network and/or for Nick to commission its own (Korra is NOT anime people).

19. Shift

Shift Brave Warrior of the Sea

I wonder if people might be getting too hung up over terms like "anime" and "cartoon" again. Would you say there's some big dividing factor between "anime" and other cartoons? Is it where it's animated? Because that would make plenty of "American" cartoons like Avatar, Animaniacs and Robot Monkey Team "anime" as well. Does it depend on who creates or produces the story? IGPX was an American/Japan co-production, Oban Star-Racers was Japan/France, and Heroman has Stan Lee on board. Is it the storytelling style? The animation style? The maturity level? The immaturity?

The fact is, trying to pinhole this show into being "anime" or not is kinda pointless since, when we get down to it, anime literally means "cartoon" and can be used, and is used, for anything animated. There are differences in style, sure, but not just between Americans and Japanese, but between different companies and creators as well. No one would confuse Osamu Tezuka's work with Hayao Miyazaki's, or Cowboy Bebop with Doraemon. So I for one will judge the show on it's own merits and not just on who created it or what animation studio is working on it.

20. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon! Moderator

I'm not sure if this is true, but I've heard multiple times that Monsuno techniclly isn't an anime, it just looks like one. So that makes this a moot point.