1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Moderness in cartoons, how much is acceptable?

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by TheMisterManGuy, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Dated jokes are something that effects all cartoons, so I don't blame modern cartoons for engaging in it. Half of the jokes on the original Family Guy would make no sense to a 14 year old. Hell, Tiny Toons and Animaniacs would probably be outright incomprehensible to kids today. If this was a new problem, it would be worth getting concerned about. But this is all cartoons, and all humor, ever.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

I think Regular Show actually was most effective with this. Yeah, they've made references to cell phones and internet video, but they also have characters listening to music on cassette tapes and cds, watching vhs tapes, and playing video games with 80s style graphics. It's a good mix of both modern and retro, and neither looks out of place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

"The Fairly OddParents" was even like that in the early seasons, with cell phones, the Internet ("Uhh... Internet?") and GPS-equipped vehicles. And "What's New Scooby-Doo" was very much like that as well (complete with similar Internet jokes and references!) "The Simpsons" was occasionally like this, in any episode featuring "Mapple." But in other cases on that show, modern technology is just used in service of the story, or is satirized in some way.

4. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I feel that memes and certain topical stories from the news should be avoided due simply because how quickly dated and forgotten they'll be, especially because of how long it takes to make a cartoon. By the time the cartoon is out, that meme will be mostly forgotten.
    Other modern elements that will be around for a year or two are okay to features in a series. One shouldn't be too concerned because no one can fully predict what will still be around five to ten years from now. Even if said modern elements are not, there's a huge chance the show won't even still be around by then anyway. So much content is made these days, kids aren't going to care if a show they watched a few years ago is dated, because they'll most likely move on to something else. And if a popular show from years ago seems dated, they'll just reboot it for today's audience and modernize it in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. EJLD4Ever

EJLD4Ever Animation Student

One thing I want to mention is that even though an episode may be rerun indefinitely, each individual episode has its highest viewership upon its initial airdate. However, most people will watch an episode once, maybe twice, and move on, so after that debut, viewership slowly declines and it's generally at its lowest point after 6 months. So essentially the episode doesn't have much of a shelf life beyond maybe a year's worth of reruns.

My point being that there shouldn't even be a concern that maybe a joke or other element of the episode will become dated when, in reality, the episode itself will be mostly forgotten about 1 year after the first airing!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

What makes it fail for the Powerpuff Girls 2016 is that they go overboard when it comes to bringing these issues, they really drill into you that they are "hip and kewl" just because they know how to be modern. I know other shows do bring up modern culture but they really don't push it. TLH has done Duck Lips by the way and the only reason why no one bats an eye for that is because it is a subtle moment it wasn't done in a large emphasis. Or you can joke about it like Rocko's Modern Life and Gumball at times.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Frank98

Frank98 Keep moving forward

Zootopia contains many references to the modern world. Does it suck?

Every movie/show is a product of its time, that's not why they become dated. They become dated because they've had nothing else to offer apart from those references.

Besides, I think kids have every right to see themselves (and the world they live in) in these products.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. HORNS1968CE

HORNS1968CE THE LAST MAJOR

The word is (usually) actually "modernity", and to me, the question isn't how much,
    but whether\not it becomes this excruciating callingcard. If you feel you have to bombard/assault me with it,
    then uh-uh.

9. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

In addition to what I said earlier, I think it mostly comes down to the intent. Did they use modern tech, just because they use it in real life? Or did they put in a celebrity playing themself (that may or may not end up being a fad) just to boost ratings, or to help a lacking script?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

You can have modern gadgets in your shows - I don't mind or care and I don't know why anyone else does, either. The problem is simply not forcing it in everyone's faces. OR relying on memes and current events for jokes and/or conflicts, as it is very difficult to make anything with those things at the forefront in your show worth watching for too long.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

I actually like FOP's use of the "internet" excuse. It didn't feel overused and is often a valid excuse since info can be found and stuff can be bought on the internet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. 90'sKid

90'sKid Well-Known Member

Plus, the internet was still becoming more "mainstream" when FoP started airing, unlike modern FoP which had episodes feature a YouTube-like site a DECADE after YouTube came out, or a smartphone six years after they came out, and duck face, a meme dating back to MySpace.

FoP is obviously (I'm my eyes) trying to just make itself still relevant to the point that any of its original charm has long been lost.

Shows like NuPPG are going to be among the ranks of shows like QuackPack and Rocket Power, shows that leeched off what corporate executives though was "koolz with da kidz". Imagine people looking back at NuPPG five-six years into the future: "Oh ya, twerking was a thing...". The writers of NuPPG lack the foresight to give their show any staying power, they are just thinking of the here and now, what's trending. But of course NuPPG's whole purpose is to sell toys, so I don't expect high-quality writing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Robin44

Robin44 Member

I always thought it was a matter of what Show has smartphones and memes. I mean I get the Ben 10, Teen Titans, and PPG reboots are set in a modern world but it ruins the franchise because they are known as “cringe” and therefore shouldn’t be allowed. Meanwhile when We Bare Bears does it, it makes sense for the huge trendiness because the synopsis of the show is about three bears trying to do what modern people do and adapt to modern life.